Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2010, 22:58   #1
gatorglockman

Radiation pills...effective?

Greetings. I am building my BUG out bag as part of my layer of preparation. I frequent several websites and was naive to the existence of "radiation pills".

I did some research online but came up with more questions then answers.

While I don't believe it is a magic bullet/cure, I believe the product is designed like a vitamin preventative of sorts to fend off some of the effects of extreme radiation exposure such as the event of a nuclear warhead detonation.

Do you have an opinion on these line of products? Worth it in a BUG out bag, or just slippery science? Thanks!!!

"If you seek peace, prepare for war"
And that is why it is called 9mm parabellum
gatorglockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:31   #2
JC Refuge
GT Sponsor

Gatorglockman, you're referring to Potassium Iodide (KI). In layman's terms, it's a legitimate, widely-recognized product for protecting the thyroid in certain radiological emergencies (nuclear reactor accident or nuclear bomb detonation). It blocks the uptake of radioiodine in the thyroid gland. As a result it can prevent the development of thyroid cancer that would otherwise have occurred from the concentration of radionuclides.

It's good to note that thyroid cancer is a major issue several years down the road for those who are exposed to high levels of radiation in major radiological events.

No it certainly is not a silver bullet for radiation. It does nothing to protect the body against other effects from radiation exposure. And it won't work in all radiological events--such as following certain potential types of dirty bomb events.

I believe it is particularly valuable to have on hand for children and young adults, as they have the most to gain from KI treatment (longer life expectancy).

In a nutshell--yes--it's very much worth having on hand for you and your family--just in case. But do not think it makes you invulnerable to radiation. It does not change one iota how you should take other measures to avoid or protect yourself from dangerous levels of radiation.

BTW--it is not a vitamin that you take daily. You wait until such a radiological event occurs--then you ingest the recommended dosages to temporarily allow your thyroid to block the radioactive iodine.

Safecastle Royal Buyers Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Refuge blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Win a Case of MH Food - LIKE us on Facebook

Last edited by JC Refuge; 08-08-2010 at 09:34..
JC Refuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 22:53   #3
gatorglockman

Thanks for shedding some light on this topic for me! I greatly appreciate the insight.

I will price the product out and put it on my list of goodies to get for my build out on my BUG bag.

"If you seek peace, prepare for war"
And that is why it is called 9mm parabellum
gatorglockman is offline   Reply With Quote