SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:49   #1
PCJim

W231 for 40S&W: Lyman's loading is questioned

Fellas,

I've used the search function going back to 2007 to try to find some answers to my question below. I'm looking for some help from anyone who has used W231 under 180gr JHPs in 40S&W.

As several know, I'm new to the 40S&W. I am working up some various loadings with the powders I have on hand to get a feel for what I load for this caliber. Fred has given me some good recommendations using WSF and I've made 3 sets of test batchs in that powder. I will also be working with Unique, TiteGroup and W231. It is the W231 published loads that are giving me concern. And while I already know W231 is not an ideal powder for the caliber, I do want to develop some loading data for use if more suitable powders are not readily available.

The below data is what I have found listed for W213 under a 180gr JHP:
Lyman #48: 5.0-5.6gr
Handloads.com: 4.5-5.0 (internet database, questionable)
Speer: no listing for W231
Winchester: 4.1-5.0 (Hornady XTP bullet)

The Lyman/Winchester suggested loadings represent a wide diversity for the powder, especially since Winchester, the manufacturer of W231, lists such a low loading. I am not aware of any major construction or surface bearing differences that XTP bullets have over other JHPs. (I'm loading Zero brand 180s.)

Has anyone used W231 under 180 JHPs and, if so, would you please comment regarding your findings as compared to the above published loadings?

Many thanks in advance.
Jim
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:38   #2
MarcusT

I use 5.4 gr of 231 under a 180gr FMJ and it works great.
MarcusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:46   #3
billy396

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusT View Post
I use 5.4 gr of 231 under a 180gr FMJ and it works great.
I've also used that exact same loading and got great results in the G22, however when I shot the same load in a G27, it was too much for comfort, but that's because my wrist has severe arthritis and some openly visible damage when examined with an x-ray. I'd also point out that I have a tungsten guide rod in my G22 and G21. The extra weight really makes a difference in controllability on double taps and rapid fire, compared to the stock setup. I'd never personally go back to a stock guide rod on either gun. It shoots that much better, and I've never had even one FTF of any kind.
Old 04-16-2010, 15:51   #4
fredj338

I haven't loaded 180grFMJ, but do run 175grLFP o/ 5gr of W231 for 965fps in my early USP & 4006. SO you should be at least good to 5gr w/ a FMJ/JHP. Lyman goes to 5.3gr under a 190grJHC. I would view 5.4gr as max.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-16-2010 at 15:53..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 20:22   #5
PCJim

Gents, thanks for that feedback. These rounds are for a P229, my first venture into the 40S&W arena. I had initially figured the 5.4gr W231 load would be a good mid-level round based on the Lyman data, and was relying solely on it due to Speer's lack of a published W231 recommendation at this bullet weight. It was only after finding Winchester's data that I became concerned with Lyman's data. I'll be working these up carefully.

If anyone else has some input, please chime in.
Old 04-16-2010, 20:32   #6
LoadedTech

I've found 4.9g W231 under a plated 180g TC bullet was a snappy practice round from my 27. Controllable, but snappy.
Old 04-16-2010, 21:10   #7
shotgunred
reloading nut

3.8 makes IDPA power factor and is a good game load.

One of my favorite paper puncher load.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 22:48   #8
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCJim View Post
Gents, thanks for that feedback. These rounds are for a P229, my first venture into the 40S&W arena. I had initially figured the 5.4gr W231 load would be a good mid-level round based on the Lyman data, and was relying solely on it due to Speer's lack of a published W231 recommendation at this bullet weight. It was only after finding Winchester's data that I became concerned with Lyman's data. I'll be working these up carefully.

If anyone else has some input, please chime in.
Yeah, I think that is pushing the high end w/ W231. One reason Speer doesn't list loads for W231, too fast. You'll notice that the only fast powder shown is TG & that is probably because so many gamers shoot it. Uberfast powders, high pressure rounds & bullet setback is bad. Why I like WSF so much, plus it's scary accurate in my guns. Anything that makes my 4006 shoot well is worth using. It's always been average for accuracy.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-16-2010 at 22:49..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 22:56   #9
PCJim

Fred, I've finished eight 10 round sets now consisting of W231, WSF and Titegroup. I hope to finish up with Unique tomorrow if the rain prevents me from getting some work done on the deck. Then, maybe the range on Sunday.

Well, after a quick check of the schedule and just finding that my man, Tony, won the pole for Sunday's race, maybe I'll squeeze the range in tomorrow afterall.