Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2010, 13:31   #1
Mike5560

Mk III will not disassemble

After making sure the gun is decocked, I rotate the housing latch out, but the mainspring housing will not come out of the handle. I tried pulling with pliers (not too hard). Has anyone had this problem before? What should I do?
Old 04-16-2010, 15:36   #2
Paul7
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5560 View Post
After making sure the gun is decocked, I rotate the housing latch out, but the mainspring housing will not come out of the handle. I tried pulling with pliers (not too hard). Has anyone had this problem before? What should I do?
Sell it.
Old 04-16-2010, 15:44   #3
Glocks&Ducs

Provided you have followed the instructions, it will come out. Take a rubber mallet and smack the tit that is sticking up out of the top of the frame.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 16:28   #4
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I will have to be driven out a few times on a new gun.
The rubber mallet is the only way to do it.

Alexander Hamilton, author of Federalist No. 1. 10/27/1787
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 18:06   #5
Mike5560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glocks&Ducs View Post
Provided you have followed the instructions, it will come out. Take a rubber mallet and smack the tit that is sticking up out of the top of the frame.
Tried it, but no luck. I could see that working if the mainspring housing would somewhat swivel out, but it doesn't budge! Even after soaking it in breakfree. The only thing that moves is the swivel that unlocks it.

It's a pretty new gun, with about 400 rounds through it and only 3-4 sessions of shooting. Each time I come back I clean and disassemble/ reassemble it several times just so I am very familiar with it.
Old 04-16-2010, 18:33   #6
Glocks&Ducs

So you are saying that only the middle "leaf" so to speak pops out. Normally, when you pull that center leaf out, the entire main spring housing kind of pops to the rear and it is not doing that now?

If that is the case, I would double check to make sure the lock isn't partially engaged.
Old 04-16-2010, 22:14   #7
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5560 View Post
Tried it, but no luck. I could see that working if the mainspring housing would somewhat swivel out, but it doesn't budge! Even after soaking it in breakfree. The only thing that moves is the swivel that unlocks it.

It's a pretty new gun, with about 400 rounds through it and only 3-4 sessions of shooting. Each time I come back I clean and disassemble/ reassemble it several times just so I am very familiar with it.
Shake the gun all around, while pointing it up, down, and sideways.
Then pull the housing out.

Last edited by Jason D; 04-16-2010 at 22:16..
Old 04-20-2010, 11:23   #8
Ugly_Jerry

My Mk III is a PITA to disassemble too. I've had it for almost a year and a half now and I've only field stripped it three times. I found that I need to get a small dowel rod or a cheap Papermate inkpen and place that on top of the "tit" that is on the top of the gun and smack it with a hammer a few times to get it mostly out. Then I can swing the latch out. It is a very difficult gun to strip down.
Old 04-20-2010, 15:45   #9
deadite
Groovy.

Just wanted to say tit.

deadite
Old 04-20-2010, 16:07   #10
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

I have now done it about 6 times with my new MKIII, and it does get slightly easier. I still need to drive it out, but hopefully not for much longer.

I never once had to do that with a .22/45.

Last edited by Jason D; 04-20-2010 at 16:13..
Old 04-21-2010, 15:52   #11
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

The seventh time is the charm evidently.
I shot mine today, and she popped right out.

Old 04-21-2010, 16:01   #12
ubersoldat

I got mine little over two years ago and it was a major PITA to strip down, but now with me taking it down at least ten times, it has gotten alot easier..
Great guns all in all...My hunter is a snake killing MACHINE with a little rimfire scope on it..
ubersoldat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 22:29   #13
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

I've had the same problem with all three of the Rugers, Mk1, Mk2, and the Mk3. They get easier to disassemble once you've done it repeatedly.
For this reason I won't be buying one again, I'm just tired of having problems with em, lol. They are a PITA to disassemble and reassemble.
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 19:45   #14
graycrait

Knock out the hammer pin. The wide end is not the right one. The gun will come apart easily.

Next time make sure that once your bolt is in that your hammer is up. Tilt the gun so that the hammer strut swings into the right spot on the locking lug. Pretty easy after you jack it up about a dozen times. Reassembled right takes seconds. Reassembled wrong is a PITA.

Craig
graycrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 20:04   #15
Jason D
Silver Membership
INFRINGED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycrait View Post
Knock out the hammer pin. The wide end is not the right one. The gun will come apart easily.

Next time make sure that once your bolt is in that your hammer is up. Tilt the gun so that the hammer strut swings into the right spot on the locking lug. Pretty easy after you jack it up about a dozen times. Reassembled right takes seconds. Reassembled wrong is a PITA.

Craig
Knocking out the hammer pin will release all the internals that are held in place by it. If a person were to do that with the upper still on the gun, they may ruin things by trying to get the upper off.

Do not, I repeat do not take the hammer pin out unless you know what you are doing. Doing that, and not being able to put it back in yourself will net you local gunsmith some of your hard earned cash.

To field strip the gun, follow the instructions in the manual. The mainspring housing will need to be knocked out a few times before it will come free by itself. My upper still needs to be tapped off, but the mainspring housing assembly comes out freely now.

Old 04-28-2010, 17:56   #16
graycrait

I just did the hammer pin knock out fix on a friend's 22/45 that was cleaned and reassembled by some nimrod. Go ahead and knock the pin out. No gunsmith required to reassemble this iconically designed pistol for the mass market. If you need help take a look here: http://guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm

IMHO the easiest handguns to completely dis/re-assemble:

1. Glock
2. 1911
3. Taurus Revolver
4. S&W hand ejector revolver
5. Ruger MK 1/II/III
6. Ruger Revolvers

These guns can be fixed, tuned and serviced by the user. Fitting hands on the revolvers can be a little trickey, but not usually ever necessary. Revolver barrel changes require fairly expensive tools. Most work on MK series Rugers, 1911s and Glocks can be done at the kitchen table in fairly short order. You don't need to burn incense, kneeling naked to some war god to devine how to fix or tune these guns. A decent stone, good lube, 600-2000 grit sandpaper, a half way decent gunsmith screwdriver set, a big white towel and plastic bags are really all that is necessary.
graycrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 18:36   #17
Glocks&Ducs

I think some of you are missing the point of his concern. In order to knock the housing out, it has to pivot out of the handle some. He is saying his won't come out so that he can pound on the tit with a mallet. If it doesn't rotate out of the handle a little, you can pound on the tit with a sledgehammer and the housing isn't going to drop.
Old 04-28-2010, 19:26   #18
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

You must make sure the hammer is all the way up on the bolt as if it were being fired..
The strut that hangs from the hammer it probobly caught in the mainspring housing..
Sometimes shaking the gun with the muzzle down or useing a toothpick or similar item to push the hammer farward..
Good Luck!!

BTW I have a friend with three MKIIs & I have to take them apart for him every time..
I've had several of the Rugers & learned years ago about thier qwerks..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 23:58   #19
Cole125
Silver Membership

Make sure to follow instructions, and dont be afraid to use a lot of force.

Check out Ruger's channel on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/RugerFirearms

They have disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly instructions for the MKIII.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:05   #20
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Use a hammer and punch on the "teet" ---cover with a rag to keep it from getting scratched.

It gets easier the more you do it---kinda like how Ruger triggers get better the more you shoot em.

Never pass up an opportunity to say teet.
Weve taken care of everything. The words you hear the songs you sing. The pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. Its one for all and all for one. We work together common sons. Never need to wonder how or why. Obama/Hillary---originally written by Neil Peart
Omaha-BeenGlockin is offline   Reply With Quote