SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:51   #1
silversport

Wouldja???...

Woudja???...

if you already spent too much on a pistol...had it in your possession, in a caliber and configuration that other pistols in your possession can fill and this pistol was NIB, never fired...would you shoot it???

...add to the above that it is a "rare" pistol configuration that would only mean something to a collector who had to have it (this is why I paid too much for it) but it really is only cosmetic in difference to a pistol that you can currently find at nearly half what you paid...

I've owned mine for several years now but have yet to shoot it, only admire it...I have P226s and a P228 that fill the same role as this pistol could hold so I don't need to shoot it and I would have to find a buyer who is just as crazy as I was when I bought mine to sell her...the other side of that is, I don't need the money and I already own mine so...

Would shoot her???

Bill
silversport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 08:52   #2
M&P15T
Beard One

I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. But since you have, you need to decide what to do.

Choot it? Maybe yes, maybe no. If I wasn't going to choot it, I would sell it. Unless simply having it in your possession is all that is necessary to enjoy it.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:06   #3
bac1023

Bill, it depends on the pistol.

What is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:30   #4
SigFTW

I have a rare pair of boots that cost as much as a Wilson Combat 1911, and I ware them. So yeah, I would shoot a rare NIB gun without hesitation. But that just me.

Last edited by SigFTW; 01-22-2015 at 09:31..
SigFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:48   #5
Manimal

I have an unfired FN 5.7 IOM that I havent shot... I got a good price for it, I should probably go shoot it.
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:50   #6
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Bill, it depends on the pistol.

What is it?
well that's just it...it is just a SIGPro...

like I mentioned above, I have other pistols to shoot that fill the same niche as this one does and I'd hate to shoot it if there were a collector out there who really wanted it...

On the other hand...it is just a SIGPro albeit an engraved SPC2009 that would only be wanted by someone who "had to have it."

I think I will shoot it but it just seems to get pushed back for the P226s or the P228

Thanks for the feedback guys...you've said what I will probably do but once you shoot it...it's been shot (other than Factory) so it is only new once...

Bill
Old 01-22-2015, 10:04   #7
silversport

http://www.lundestudio.com/SigProFAQ/VIII/3.html

mine is one of 300 and not the Utah Commemorative...it is the SPC2009 marked pistol in the above link...

Bill

Last edited by silversport; 01-22-2015 at 10:05..
Old 01-22-2015, 14:08   #8
M2 Carbine

Quote:
if you already spent too much on a pistol...had it in your possession, in a caliber and configuration that other pistols in your possession can fill and this pistol was NIB, never fired...would you shoot it???
I'm bad for buying multiple guns that I like. Usually one or more never gets shot because I'm shooting the first one or two I bought.

A good example is the Makarov. I have 17 (I think) of the various makes and models.
General Firearms Forum

Most have been shot but a couple haven't.
One is a NIB Russian Mak and the other is this refinished East German Mak.

General Firearms Forum

I would shoot these Maks also if I wanted to or needed to, but I don't want to.

So I guess my answer is,
Shoot the gun if you want to or don't shoot if you don't want to.

Quote:
if you already spent too much on a pistol
Try explaining to your Wife why you want ten Makarovs.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 14:10   #9
bac1023

Bill, that's not the sort of pistol I buy, as I don't buy commemorative stuff or engraved firearms. If I had the gun by some means, I probably wouldn't shoot it, because the SigPro itself is nothing overly special. They are solid guns, but I don't think there would be enough of a curiosity there for me to shoot it.

I'd look for a buyer unless it has some sentimental value to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 01-22-2015, 14:19   #10
plp

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversport View Post
Woudja???...

...add to the above that it is a "rare" pistol configuration that would only mean something to a collector who had to have it (this is why I paid too much for it) but it really is only cosmetic in difference to a pistol that you can currently find at nearly half what you paid...

I've owned mine for several years now but have yet to shoot it, only admire it...I have P226s and a P228 that fill the same role as this pistol could hold so I don't need to shoot it and I would have to find a buyer who is just as crazy as I was when I bought mine to sell her...the other side of that is, I don't need the money and I already own mine so...

Would shoot her???

Bill
No.

What makes some collectables so valuable is the uniqueness of both rarity and condition. Unfired vs. fired adds more value, if that is the goal. You've already said you have other handguns that fit that slot, so leave it as is.

I have a trumpet made in 1948, that I bought from another collector. It is in the case, inside the waxed cardboard box it was shipped in, surrounded by the crinkly paper used back then for padding. Both the trumpet and the case are absolutely pristine. I paid twice for it what another one made the same year would cost, and to the right market can make money on it if I ever decide to sell it.
plp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 14:43   #11
SpringerTGO

Items that are made to be "collectables" rarely turn out to be collectable. You see this with cars, motorcycles, guns, and any number of other products. Manufacturers know how many of a particular product they can sell. If they make a "special run" of 500, it means they think they can sell that many. If they could sell 1000, they'd make that many.
SpringerTGO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 14:51   #12
fastbolt

It's just a fancy SigPro, not an early Colt SSA from the Custom Shop.

I'm probably not the right person to ask, though.

I don't see anything wrong with firing a real commemorative firearm, especially as I get older and have fewer years in front of me, than behind me, to enjoy shooting them. My nickeled Colt WWII PTO commemorative .45 has been fired quite a bit, and shows it. Doesn't bother me in the least.

Doesn't bother me to think about firing a John Wayne Commemorative .32-40 or Winchester Commemorative .30-30 (or others), either. Still look good hanging on a wall.

I frankly couldn't care less if it reduces the 'collector value' to someone else who may own it after me (presuming I don't have it destroyed upon my death, if it's something my son isn't interested in owning).

If you like owning it, keep it. If you feel bad shooting it, don't shoot it. If you want to shoot it, shoot it. It's just a SigPro with some light engraving on it, after all.

Now, I do bag & board a lot of comic books, which are growing in value to leave to kids and grand kids. Don't care if they sell, them, lock them away to think of me, or take them out of the bags and read the dickens out of them. (I've also read some of the highly collectable ones, carefully. )
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 15:20   #13
paragon1

SPC SIGPRO are exceedingly rare in the States. That is more value than the engraving. It's not unfired, they are proofed and then fired in the states to get a fired case.

If it has no value to you, there are people who will pay a premium for the SPC. I'd throw it on gunbroker with a healthy reserve and see what someone would pay for it.
paragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 15:31   #14
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Unless the gun's mechanical condition is unsafe to shoot, I gotta least break the cherry on that mutha.
Old 01-22-2015, 15:33   #15
moeman

I've never not shot a gun. Never owned something etremely rare either... I have 1/500 HKP7M8 (julbilee) and shot it too. Bad move, maybe, but I shoot my guns.
moeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 16:26   #16
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerTGO View Post
Items that are made to be "collectables" rarely turn out to be collectable. You see this with cars, motorcycles, guns, and any number of other products. Manufacturers know how many of a particular product they can sell. If they make a "special run" of 500, it means they think they can sell that many. If they could sell 1000, they'd make that many.
Yeah, most commemorative guns are not at all collectible. In fact, they're hard to give away at times.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:57   #17
silversport

thanks everyone...I never bought it for a collectible or to see it grow in value...I just liked it...

before I ever received it, I picked up another SIGPro (in 35 SIG) and after shooting that I never felt the immediacy of shooting this one so it has sat...New in it's aluminum case...

I just didn't want to shoot something "just to scratch an itch" and feel like I ruined something...:D

'precut the feedback...

Bill
Old 01-23-2015, 06:02   #18
silversport

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon1 View Post
SPC SIGPRO are exceedingly rare in the States. That is more value than the engraving. It's not unfired, they are proofed and then fired in the states to get a fired case.

If it has no value to you, there are people who will pay a premium for the SPC. I'd throw it on gunbroker with a healthy reserve and see what someone would pay for it.
although marked SPC2009 this one is not the compact...the C in the name is for commemorative...

Bill
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55   #19
hogship
It's MY Island

I believe I wouldn't shoot it, and would sell it.

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:03   #20
45caldan

Commemorative plastic pistols???
I must be getting old.....LOL
I'm in the group that never buys commemoratives...