Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:51   #1
Soviet937

First baby is home, home defense question

I know this isnt specifically firearms related, but the wife had a baby girl on wednesday and now shes home, just curious if when you have an infant child in your home do the laws of home defense swing in your favor a little more, meaning no retreat, do whatever you have to do to stop the intruder, I live in PA but I figured this would be more of a broad thing. thanks

Its a shame stupidity cannot be converted to a useful energy source.
Soviet937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57   #2
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

First, congratulations. Being a father has been the greatest experience of my life and I hope it is for you as well.

To answer your question, there is no law specifically saying you are allowed to kill people because you have a child.

The bottom line is this, if you are in fear of death or greatly bodily to either you or a loved one, defend your home. If not, don't. In general, if someone enters your home with the intent to commit a crime, you should be in fear of great bodily harm or death.

The presence of a child isn't really relevant. The presence of a threat is.

Last edited by DaleGribble; 05-02-2014 at 10:59..
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15   #3
Soviet937

Ya still nervous as hell. But those little hands can no way possible fit around the grips of my g19 and g21 can't wait to teach her to shoot

Its a shame stupidity cannot be converted to a useful energy source.

Last edited by Soviet937; 05-02-2014 at 11:16..
Soviet937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:19   #4
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet937 View Post
Ya still nervous as hell.
That goes away pretty quick.

My advice, take as many videos as you possibly can. They really do grow up to fast. A few years from now you're going to see a newborn somewhere and then look at yours and think "Where did the time go?" And it is nice to have videos to watch at those times.
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22   #5
Dave514

You have two new defenses.

I was fearing for the life of my child.

My mind was not clear because I haven't HAd aNY SLEEP! IN 6 FRAKIN' MONTHS!!!
I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Dave514 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:52   #6
bigdogmurph
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
First, congratulations. Being a father has been the greatest experience of my life and I hope it is for you as well.

To answer your question, there is no law specifically saying you are allowed to kill people because you have a child.

The bottom line is this, if you are in fear of death or greatly bodily to either you or a loved one, defend your home. If not, don't. In general, if someone enters your home with the intent to commit a crime, you should be in fear of great bodily harm or death.

The presence of a child isn't really relevant. The presence of a threat is.
This and only this will help you,know way it could be said any better.
bigdogmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:16   #7
boilergonzo

Congrats! New parents are supposed to worry... but just know that all old parents look back and laugh about the things we used to worry about and how silly our anxiety was!

State laws vary, so make sure you know yours. Having said that, getting to or preventing someone else from your child is valid in terms of defending your family. What used to be your room to defend to protect life, now includes every hallway and area between your room and the little life you are tasked with protecting in every way.

It is early, but start giving serious consideration and planning to how you will always lock and secure your firearms when they are not physically on you. It is important.

Look up your local laws, castle doctrine, etc.
boilergonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:03   #8
FCastle88

There is no duty to retreat in PA. The laws have some gray areas, but basically if someone breaks into your occupied dwelling or vehicle and you are in fear of death, serious bodily injury, sexual assault, etc., then lethal force is justified. Outside of your home/vehicle there is still no duty to retreat. However for lethal force to be justified in most cases the attacker must have some type of weapon. A fist could potentially be considered a deadly weapon.
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:41   #9
CHEF-LOU

Congrats on the new addition to the family. Here's a link to the PA castle doctrine:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/...r=0040&pn=1038
- "Holy S**t!" "What a Ride!"

Last edited by CHEF-LOU; 05-03-2014 at 11:41..
CHEF-LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:54   #10
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

congratulations!

yes, I believe the law is more on your side when you have a child in the house. In some cases you can even shoot the bad guy in the back if you feel he is going for the kid. at least that's how it is here in Florida. You gotta love Castle Doctrine!

Enjoy your little girl, kids are awesome!

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:04   #11
jakebrake
cracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave514 View Post
You have two new defenses.

I was fearing for the life of my child.

My mind was not clear because I haven't HAd aNY SLEEP! IN 6 FRAKIN' MONTHS!!!
congrats from the other end of the turnpike.

see those 2 points? if I was on the jury, those 2 things would be more than enough to acquit
Old 05-03-2014, 15:33   #12
The_Gun_Guru
Ban Democrats!!

Quote:

My advice, take as many videos as you possibly can. They really do grow up to fast. A few years from now you're going to see a newborn somewhere and then look at yours and think "Where did the time go?" And it is nice to have videos to watch at those times.
OMG, SO TRUE!!!

Mine are now 6 years and 4 years and I wish I could have more (wife says we are done though).

OP......

Make sure you start teaching them basic gun safety as early as possible. If you ask my 4-yo daughter what daddy's favorite gun is she will say AK-47! It's the cutest thing!

Enjoy your daughter.

TGG
Kalashnikov Klub #4519
OD G19 - LOTS of AKs - Only ONE AR....but it's a Colt!
NO AMNESTY FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS!!!
This is America. If you can't or won't speak English, PLEASE LEAVE!!!

Last edited by The_Gun_Guru; 05-03-2014 at 15:34..
The_Gun_Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 17:30   #13
VinnieD

Here in Mississippi you can legally use lethal force against anyone who is in the process of committing a felony against yourself, your property, or another individual. So at least here, if your child was in danger you'd be in the clear. Then again if someone was in your home illegally anyway you'd be in the clear. If someone was committing a felony against someone who was a complete stranger to you, and you decided to intervene you'd be in the clear. A lot of things aren't so great in Mississippi but our self defense laws are awesome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 19:36   #14
vafish

Quote:

I took a lot of videos with the first, few less with the second, not sure I even brought the cam corder out for the fourth one.

Some place around are the 8mm video tapes of the kids. Haven't watched them in years. Wife has about a hundred photo albums on the shelf.

Oldest graduates college next weekend. Time does go fast, but I'll be coming up on grand kids soon.

And OP, Teach them to shoot young. Rifle shooting paid for my daughters college.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 05-03-2014 at 19:37..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 20:20   #15
Jeff82
CLM Number 237
NRA Benefactor

While guns can be dangerous, buckets kill more kids. Beware.

Oh yeah, and start a college savings account now.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." B. Franklin, 1787, outside Independence Hall

There's not "good" or "bad" muslims, only those true to their book and those that aren't, yet...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Jeff82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 21:09   #16
Bruce M

Congratulations on the addition to your family.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 23:37   #17
FCastle88

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
congratulations!

yes, I believe the law is more on your side when you have a child in the house. In some cases you can even shoot the bad guy in the back if you feel he is going for the kid. at least that's how it is here in Florida. You gotta love Castle Doctrine!

Enjoy your little girl, kids are awesome!

TGG
In pretty much every state you may use lethal force to defend another person if you would be justified in defending yourself in the same situation. It makes no difference if that person is your spouse, your child, or a complete stranger on the street. The police and/or a jury would probably be more likely to take your side if the situation was questionable and you were protecting your child, but as far as the law is concerned it makes no difference. In most of PA I wouldn't worry about being charged for shooting an intruder.
FCastle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 20:45   #18
bobs330

If PA is like Oklahoma, inside your home you have the right to absolute safety. The state justifies deadly force if intruder is breaking and entering. Here is a story that happened in southern OK. Jist of the story is an 18 yr old widow/mother was home alone with baby, two men attempt to break in. She's on the phone with 911 and one does break through the door and she blasts the guy with a 12 gauge.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/04/justic...uder-shooting/
bobs330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 14:19   #19
glocker56

Congrats on your daughters birth!

As a father to a daughter all grown up, the best advice I can give you is read Bill Cosby's book: "Fatherhood".
glocker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 15:04   #20
cowboy1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Gun_Guru View Post
I don't think the Castle Doctrine matters whether there are 10 people or in the house or just you.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote