Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2010, 13:52   #1
XDRoX

Want to consolidate to one 9mm round

Hickok45 told me that one of the things I should do to get better is pick a round that I like and stick with it. He said he has been reloading the same exact 9mm for years.

I already decided on the powder (WST). But I still need a bullet. I would like your recommendations on different brands and weights.

So far I have shot Berry's (115gr) and Rainier (124gr). I like the Berry's much more as they are more uniform in size and weight than the Rainier. Although I prefer the lower recoil of the 124gr bullet with less powder.

So I'm leaning toward 124gr or 147gr. Probably 147gr. Also probably plated as they as cheaper than jacketed and cleaner than lead.

So I need to try some different brands to see what I like best.

If you could only shoot one 9mm bullet for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Thanks
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 14:04   #2
Colorado4Wheel

The rest of your life is a long time. Considering the cost involved I would make a Lead Bullet in the 125gr weigth range and be done with it. Oh, I didn't mention buying a bottom pour furnace and a mold did I?
Old 04-19-2010, 14:05   #3
BigLaw

If you go with lead don't shoot them in Glock pistols

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
BigLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 14:07   #4
Colorado4Wheel

Ahh, crap. My plan sucks.
Old 04-19-2010, 14:11   #5
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Hickok45 told me that one of the things I should do to get better is pick a round that I like and stick with it. He said he has been reloading the same exact 9mm for years.

I already decided on the powder (WST). But I still need a bullet. I would like your recommendations on different brands and weights.

So far I have shot Berry's (115gr) and Rainier (124gr). I like the Berry's much more as they are more uniform in size and weight than the Rainier. Although I prefer the lower recoil of the 124gr bullet with less powder.

So I'm leaning toward 124gr or 147gr. Probably 147gr. Also probably plated as they as cheaper than jacketed and cleaner than lead.

So I need to try some different brands to see what I like best.

If you could only shoot one 9mm bullet for the rest of your life, what would it be?

Thanks

Any 124 gr bullet. Pick a Powder you like. No offence but "Hickok45" sounds like a really boring guy.
Old 04-19-2010, 14:15   #6
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
The rest of your life is a long time. Considering the cost involved I would make a Lead Bullet in the 125gr weigth range and be done with it. Oh, I didn't mention buying a bottom pour furnace and a mold did I?

Listen to Little Stevie, he has almost two months experience in casting.

Actually he's right, casting is the cheapest way to go in the long run plus gives you almost unlimited versatility without depending on outside vendors.

Perhaps I misunderstood part of your post... with like velocities a LIGHTER bullet will produce less recoil than a HEAVER bullet. If you like the heavier bullet but want less recoil simply back off your velocity... assuming Power Factor is not a consideration.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 14:28   #7
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood part of your post... with like velocities a LIGHTER bullet will produce less recoil than a HEAVER bullet. If you like the heavier bullet but want less recoil simply back off your velocity... assuming Power Factor is not a consideration.
Jack
With the heavier bullets I'm able to use less powder, therefore less recoil. I'm not concerned with the power factor. I should have been more clear.

I'm not really wanting to dive into the casting realm yet. I think the fumes are making some of you guys crazy

I'm thinking 124gr since it is a good medium size. So what brands do you guys like?
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 14:37   #8
Colorado4Wheel

I think your overthinking this all just a little. Get what you can, when can, if the price is good. I have used Montana Gold, Zero, Rainers, Precision Delta, Precision, Remmington (I think it's been a while). When all you do is punch holes in some version of paper, or if you get lucky get to knock over a steel plate, it just seems silly to worry to much about what bullet you are using. With 124 gr FMJ bullets they are all going to have just about the same bearing surface and load to about the same fps with a mid range load. I wouldn't sweat it.
Old 04-19-2010, 14:54   #9
unclebob

I use 135gr. X-treme bullets, and REX 2 powder. I do not use lead bullets. Smoke they produce. Sucks in a match when there is no wind and you cant see the target. Dont know if I really want to get back into casting. Would have too rob a bank too buy new barrels for my Glocks. Then could not use them during the match.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-19-2010, 15:17   #10
robin303
Helicopter Nut

I use Berry's 115 for plinking and paper matches and load Berry's 124 for steel matches.
Old 04-19-2010, 15:42   #11
PCJim

If I had to settle on only one 9mm bullet, it would be a 124gr JHP of any of the various manufacturers. As C4W stated, the design will be similar enough that a standardized recipe would work for any brand.

My rationale for the choice? A JHP will almost always be preferred over a FMJ to provide a higher degree of self defense, and the manufacturing process means that the bottom of the bullet will not be exposed lead (to eliminate any concern for indoor shooting). 124gr is the mid-weight bullet for the caliber, and while slightly more expensive than the 115gr, it is much cheaper and more readily available than the 147gr.

Personally, I won't standardize on any weight or design. I have probably seven different weights/designs of 9mm on hand, with more on order. With six acceptable handgun powders currently on hand, I can load to any specific need that I might envision.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 15:48   #12
zeke66

I currently only load one plinking load for the 9MM. 115gr Berry's Plated Bullet over 4.7gr W231, 1.150 OAL. Cycles well, is accurate and pretty mild recoil. Just about perfect.
zeke66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 15:51   #13
chris in va

I'm sticking with a 125gr RFN sized to .358. 147 grain has too much recoil IMO.

+1 on the casting thing. Sure you can go buy bullets somewhere, but I like taking old, greasy dirty wheelweights and turning them into highly accurate projectiles that cost very little in materials. It's a hobby in and of itself.
chris in va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 16:07   #14
GLShooter

Send a message via AIM to GLShooter
A life time for one load is TOO long!! LOL I shoot a standard 115 JRN in my 9 MM's for matches across the board unless the supply is dried up then I go with 124's.

I don't load 9 MM SD ammo. I stick with Silvertips or HydraShoks for that.

I prefer BE or 231 but am not above using some powders i have one in matches over the years as I believe that if it works and is free it makes ideal practice stuff and the serious Gold mining is done with the stand rd load in use.

I admit my 45 ACP load has been a 200 gr H&G 68 over a charge of BE to make major for years in IPSC but when PPC came about I started working with the 185's for the lighter recoil. They feel real odd with such low velocity but PPC is accuracy at work not power.

Greg
Old 04-19-2010, 16:33   #15
ron59
Bustin Caps

You're the guy who JUST got his press, and you're ready to make final decisions?

Not being rude... just pointing out that maybe you should do a little experimenting before setting things in concrete.

You can get a Lone Wolf barrel and shoot lead... or buy moly-coated lead which is cheaper than FMJ, or buy cheap 115gr FMJs.

Me... I like the 147grain bullets. I've reloaded over 12,000+ Montana Gold bullets over the last year and I LOVE them, but I'm about to do a trial run of some Black Bullet molys... they're way cheaper. If I like them (worried about smoke as I practice indoors)... I'll shoot them for practice and shoot the MGs for competition.

And you were right... loaded to the SAME power factor, the 147gr load will feel softer than the 115gr load. That's why I like 'em.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 16:36   #16
CitizenOfDreams

I'm consolidated to one type of bullet. It's called "whatever is in stock and doesn't cost more than a complete factory round".
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 16:42   #17
GlockCannon
Glock-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
No offense but "Hickok45" sounds like a really boring guy.

Hickock is a great guy, I don't know the man personally but sure love his you-tube channel!!

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45

Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur....

Last edited by GlockCannon; 04-19-2010 at 16:43..
GlockCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 16:56   #18
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockCannon View Post
Hickock is a great guy, I don't know the man personally but sure love his you-tube channel!!

Check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/hickok45
Just telling people to get one powder and one bullet for the rest of your life???? Or even a extended period of time???? It's just reloading 9mm not sending a rocket to the moon, it's just not that complicated. I say buy a case of 124gr, then a case of 147gr, even a case of 115gr (but they suck, but you should find out for yourself). Then get a pound of a bunch of common powders. Beg borrow steal, Gio's chrono (he's a heavy sleeper and never locks his doors). Seriously, one bullet, one powder? BORING. Even I have loaded Powder Pistol, Titegroup, Bullseye and Solo 1000 in 9mm. And I don't even experiment that much compared to others.

Nice Avatar BTW, who is that, what movie?

Last edited by Colorado4Wheel; 04-19-2010 at 16:57..
Colorado4Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 17:04   #19
RustyFN

Quote:
I'm not really wanting to dive into the casting realm yet. I think the fumes are making some of you guys crazy
I know what you mean. I think I'm the only caster here that hasn't been affected.
Old 04-19-2010, 17:18   #20
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFN View Post
I know what you mean. I think I'm the only caster here that hasn't been affected.
Your avatar would imply otherwise.