SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2010, 16:36   #1
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

VirtualBox

It's installed and playing nicely, after a rough start, with a Fedora Iso. I downloaded fedora-12-i686

Now trying to create a VB for Win7. Sadly, I am being told the processor does not support a 64bit OS. Huh? According to the PC it's a 64bit compatible processor. MS (via their software) told me that the PC needed a 64bit Win7 upgrade.

Is there some setting within VB to indicate be a 64bit? Is it possible I have a 32bit VB?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Green_Manelishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 16:40   #2
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Oh I see you are running Fedora 12 in VB on Windows.

Some info on Windows 7 here but I haven't tried it.

http://blogs.sun.com/fatbloke/entry/..._on_virtualbox

http://www.start64.com/index.php?opt...1340&Itemid=73

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 04-19-2010 at 16:46..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 19:18   #3
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Manelishi View Post
It's installed and playing nicely, after a rough start, with a Fedora Iso. I downloaded fedora-12-i686

Now trying to create a VB for Win7. Sadly, I am being told the processor does not support a 64bit OS. Huh? According to the PC it's a 64bit compatible processor. MS (via their software) told me that the PC needed a 64bit Win7 upgrade.

Is there some setting within VB to indicate be a 64bit? Is it possible I have a 32bit VB?
Go here ... http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

... and download a utility called SecurAble, it will let you know if your system has a 64-bit processor.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Sgt. Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 19:37   #4
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Schultz View Post
Go here ... http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

... and download a utility called SecurAble, it will let you know if your system has a 64-bit processor.
It is 64bit, but no hardware virtualization capability. Perhaps that's the problem? The question is ... is the Fedora 12 that I am running a 64bit version? Because, if it is, why does it run?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Green_Manelishi; 04-19-2010 at 19:38..
Old 04-19-2010, 19:42   #5
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Fedora 12 i686 is 32 bit. The 64 bit version is Fedora 12 x86-64.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 19:50   #6
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
Fedora 12 i686 is 32 bit. The 64 bit version is Fedora 12 x86-64.
Thanks. Now to "figger out" what to do about this situation.

Old 04-19-2010, 19:52   #7
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
It is 64bit, but no hardware virtualization capability.
Check the BIOS, hardware-assisted Virtualization must be enabled in BIOS.

"I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"
Old 04-19-2010, 20:18   #8
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Check the BIOS, hardware-assisted Virtualization must be enabled in BIOS.
Several attempts to access the BIOS. Fail. I am not sure I am seeing the entire display. I have contacted ASUS, they should (?) be able to tell me if it's possible to enable the virtualization.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:34   #9
MavsX
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Several attempts to access the BIOS. Fail. I am not sure I am seeing the entire display. I have contacted ASUS, they should (?) be able to tell me if it's possible to enable the virtualization.
your talking about from the host machine right? not the VM
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48   #10
Linux3

You have 2 choices.
1) Wipe the base O.S. (Fedora 32 bit, i.e. x686) and install a 64 bit O.S. (Fedora x86_64)
2) Install a 32 bit version of Windows.

I don't know which cpu you have in your system, AMD, Intel or what but it's not a true 64 bit cpu. Well, it kind of is but it still has x86 instructions for compatibility with 32 bit O.S.s.

So, you load a 32 bit O.S. as the base operating system (Fedora x686) and boot the machine up.
The cpu goes into 32 bit compatibility mode and all is well.
Now you try to load a 64 bit virtual O.S. on the system. Well, the base O.S. is 32 bit and hasn't a clue what to do with 64 bits and it has told your cpu to run in 32 bits so it's clueless too. At this frame of reference your cpu is 32 bit not 64. Your O.S. told it so.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:10   #11
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
You have 2 choices.
1) Wipe the base O.S. (Fedora 32 bit, i.e. x686) and install a 64 bit O.S. (Fedora x86_64)
2) Install a 32 bit version of Windows.

I don't know which cpu you have in your system, AMD, Intel or what but it's not a true 64 bit cpu. Well, it kind of is but it still has x86 instructions for compatibility with 32 bit O.S.s.

So, you load a 32 bit O.S. as the base operating system (Fedora x686) and boot the machine up.
The cpu goes into 32 bit compatibility mode and all is well.
Now you try to load a 64 bit virtual O.S. on the system. Well, the base O.S. is 32 bit and hasn't a clue what to do with 64 bits and it has told your cpu to run in 32 bits so it's clueless too. At this frame of reference your cpu is 32 bit not 64. Your O.S. told it so.
Processor is an Intel Dual-Core E5300. Host OS is Vista. According to the system it's 64 bit.

Virtualbox to be used to run 64bit Win7. It does run, albeit loads very slowly, 32bit Fedora 12.

The problem seems to be that the BIOS needs "hardware virtualization" enabled in ordr to allow VB to play with the 64bit Win7.

Are you telling me that the system information is incorrect and that even though it's a 64 bit version of Vista there is a bottleneck at the BIOS/processor level preventing true 64bit?

If that's the case, and I cannot tweak the BIOS then my options are? Replace the processor? Is that even doable? Or, acquire a 32bit ISO or disk for Win7.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:13   #12
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX View Post
your talking about from the host machine right? not the VM
Yes, the host machine/OS ... Asus Intel Dual-Core E5300 running (allegedly) 64 bit Vistah.

Asus replied that I need to check the BIOS settings and enable hardware virtualization, if possible. Nae ****e. I know that but they built the motherboard and all, shouldn't they be able to tell me if it's possible?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:09   #13
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
Yes, the host machine/OS ... Asus Intel Dual-Core E5300 running (allegedly) 64 bit Vistah.

Asus replied that I need to check the BIOS settings and enable hardware virtualization, if possible. Nae ****e. I know that but they built the motherboard and all, shouldn't they be able to tell me if it's possible?
Look in the MB manual for instructions, if you don't have one it can be downloaded at the ASUS website.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Old 04-20-2010, 09:24   #14
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Look in the MB manual for instructions, if you don't have one it can be downloaded at the ASUS website.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx
I accessed the BIOS and there is no ability, anywhere that I can see, to enable hardware virtualization. This would seem to agree with some online docs that state an Pentium Dual-Core E5300 is not capable of hardware virtualization. Well, that suxxxxx but all is not lost .... see my next post ...

Old 04-20-2010, 09:25   #15
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Another possibility is ...

Install VrtBox on my Mac so I can play with Win7.
Has anyone done this successfully? I am not going to go down that road if it's all for naught.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:53   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Install VrtBox on my Mac so I can play with Win7.
Has anyone done this successfully? I am not going to go down that road if it's all for naught.
As long as its an Intel Mac, I don't see why you couldn't...

To me, doesn't seem any different than running a Linux Host, w/ a Windows Guest...

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:36   #17
Linux3

Quote:
Processor is an Intel Dual-Core E5300. Host OS is Vista. According to the system it's 64 bit.

Virtualbox to be used to run 64bit Win7. It does run, albeit loads very slowly, 32bit Fedora 12.

The problem seems to be that the BIOS needs "hardware virtualization" enabled in ordr to allow VB to play with the 64bit Win7.

Are you telling me that the system information is incorrect and that even though it's a 64 bit version of Vista there is a bottleneck at the BIOS/processor level preventing true 64bit?

If that's the case, and I cannot tweak the BIOS then my options are? Replace the processor? Is that even doable? Or, acquire a 32bit ISO or disk for Win7.
Sorry, I had a knee replaced last week and with the drugs I am drifting into and out of different realities.
I thought your base OS was Fedora 32 bit. It's Vista 64. OK and you are running 64 bit on a 32 / 64 bit chip. Is it "REAL" 64 bit. Yes and no. If you want to put yourself to sleep start reading here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_64

So your base OS is 64 bit. I have done a lot with VMWare and a little with VBox. It should work. Fedora 32 bit should be fine too. Hummmm.
How old is the bios? Maybe you need to upgrade it to get the virtualization option?

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46   #18
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
Sorry, I had a knee replaced last week and with the drugs I am drifting into and out of different realities.
I thought your base OS was Fedora 32 bit. It's Vista 64. OK and you are running 64 bit on a 32 / 64 bit chip. Is it "REAL" 64 bit. Yes and no. If you want to put yourself to sleep start reading here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_64

So your base OS is 64 bit. I have done a lot with VMWare and a little with VBox. It should work. Fedora 32 bit should be fine too. Hummmm.
How old is the bios? Maybe you need to upgrade it to get the virtualization option?
No worries. I drift a bit myself. No desire to be put to sleep so I'll pass on the wiki.

I bought the PC in October(?) 2009. I have been to the Asus website and read some info about updating the BIOS but I am not keen on screwing up existing, functioning, stuff by putzing with the BIOS too much.

I will try VB on the MAC and see if that works.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:44   #19
Sgt. Schultz
Annoying Member

Quote:
I have been to the Asus website and read some info about updating the BIOS but I am not keen on screwing up existing, functioning, stuff by putzing with the BIOS too much.
BIOS updates are a risk and should only be done if you're experiencing a specific problem that is addressed by the update.

Old 04-20-2010, 13:11   #20
Green_Manelishi
Knicker Knotter

Quote:
BIOS updates are a risk and should only be done if you're experiencing a specific problem that is addressed by the update.
IIRC the website warned prospective, intrepid BIOS updaters of the very thing. If it's not broken, I am not going to "fix it".