Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2010, 17:36   #1
marklukich

Are books really necessary?

Just getting started in reloading... Think I've read every thread available in the Reloading Area...

Most often, I see recommendations to get data from at least 2 or more books for a given load...

My question is this - with all the information available on the internet, are reloading books really necessary?

Just asking - mainly because I only plan on reloading 9mm for my Glocks and Kahr and can't see a reason why I would need books full of information I don't want/need just to get the (very) limited amount of info I do want...

Thanks in advance for any and all inputs...
Old 04-19-2010, 17:42   #2
dudel

So get the Loadbooks. Who verifies the info you find on the internet? someone on this forum makes a type on the charge weight and how would you know? Once you have experience, you know that 8gr of BE in a 9mm is just wrong, but how would you know just starting out?

As an example, yesterday I was looking for a load for 45 ACP with a 185gr HBRN plated Berry's projectile and BE. The Lyman book seemed low by 2 grains compared to Hornady, Speer and Loadbooks. Looking at the velocity numbers, I was able to extrapolate a load that fits with all books.

Last edited by dudel; 04-19-2010 at 17:44..
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 17:47   #3
marklukich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
how would you know?
I wouldn't... and I know that...

I wasn't talking about using load data from individuals, I was talking about using it off of company sites - such as www.wwpowder.com for Winchester WSF powder. Wouldn't they know and/or verify their information as much as a book publisher?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see what the benefit would be...
Old 04-19-2010, 17:47   #4
DoctaGlockta

Reloading

This guy says now you need 4 books.
Reloading

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 17:50   #5
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklukich View Post
I wouldn't... and I know that...

I wasn't talking about using load data from individuals, I was talking about using it off of company sites - such as www.wwpowder.com for Winchester WSF powder. Wouldn't they know and/or verify their information as much as a book publisher?

Not trying to be argumentative, just trying to see what the benefit would be...
Again, get a loadbook for the caliber you are interested. Costs about what you'd spend for a Happy meal, and you get load data from a wide variety of sources for a wide variety of projectiles.
Old 04-19-2010, 17:51   #6
marklukich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudel View Post
Again, get a loadbook for the caliber you are interested.
Didn't know they made them for individual calibers... Any recommendations for a book for 9mm?

And thanks, btw...
Old 04-19-2010, 17:53   #7
Diesel_Bomber

Load books are cheaper than one KB.

Just sayin'.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 17:58   #8
robin303
Helicopter Nut

+1 on the load books. I trust the loads on Manufactures Web Sites and some seem weak so they wont get sued is my guess but question some others given by someone off the street when there is nobody to double check. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Old 04-19-2010, 18:00   #9
robin303
Helicopter Nut

Quote:
Didn't know they made them for individual calibers... Any recommendations for a book for 9mm?

And thanks, btw...
http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#9mm..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Get it in 3 days.
Old 04-19-2010, 18:03   #10
tyger006

I believe that manuals are a must for the reloader. I am sure you can get by with single caliber load books if you really really do your homework online, but having those books is a huge resource! I get a different one every other year and I still reference the old ones more than you would think!
tyger006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 18:03   #11
dudel

Quote:

And thanks, btw...
No problem.

http://loadbooks.com/

cheaper at Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=185458

They print one book per caliber.

Don
Old 04-19-2010, 18:05   #12
dudel

+1 Powders change. My Hornady books show different charge weights for the same caliber/projectile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyger006 View Post
I believe that manuals are a must for the reloader. I am sure you can get by with single caliber load books if you really really do your homework online, but having those books is a huge resource! I get a different one every other year and I still reference the old ones more than you would think!
Old 04-19-2010, 18:33   #13
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

The need for loading manuals is dependent on how much you want to learn about and how involved you want to be in your hobby.

If your goal is just to be a pair of hands on an assembly line the reputable on-line resources or load books in your calibers will fill your needs quite well.

It very much akin to following a recipe in a cook book... it certainly doesn't make you a chef but it will satisfy your immediate appetite.

Loading manuals contain much more information than just load data... they all have chapters on the mechanics of ballistics, reviews of equipment, what you should do and how to do it, what you shouldn't do and how to avoid it and more importantly... why.

If you ever want to get to a point where you can pass on information to the next generation of loaders you'll need to know and understand a lot more than you'll ever learn out of a cook book.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 18:38   #14
RLDS45S

The information contained on the internet IS NOT SUFFICIENT for safe and reliable reloading. The NEWBE reloading needs at a min. Lyman 49th, and at least 2 or more of the following manuals.....Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Precision Shooting Reloading Guide, Handloading for Competition, and the granddaddy The ABC's of Reloading. To question it is not a good idea. Buy once and cry once! You can never have enough information.....
RLDS45S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 19:26   #15
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLDS45S View Post
The information contained on the internet IS NOT SUFFICIENT for safe and reliable reloading. The NEWBE reloading needs at a min. Lyman 49th, and at least 2 or more of the following manuals.....Hornady, Sierra, Speer, Nosler, Precision Shooting Reloading Guide, Handloading for Competition, and the granddaddy The ABC's of Reloading. To question it is not a good idea. Buy once and cry once! You can never have enough information.....
+1 After 20+ years of reloading, I still buy books. I still learn something new from them. Jack made a good point. Do you want to eat fast food all your life; or would you like to try something much, much better?

Those who barely scratch at the surface of this hobby, will never reap the full benefits of it.
Old 04-19-2010, 20:26   #16
M4J0R T0M

Let me just throw this out there...

SAFETY FIRST!

I am much like you, very new to reloading. Starting off, I read bunches of info here and on other forums and thought the same thing, "Do I really need those books?". But, as I discovered, every one had the same opinion. Start with the manuals. If you're coming to the forums seeking knowledge and advice, take the one piece of advice that is universal amongst all the old-timers (yes I'm talking about you Jack), and get yourself some manuals. I got the ABC's of reloading and Lyman's 49th.

Both manuals had very valuable safety info that I never ran across on any of the forums. So if you value the idea of keeping your hands and face intact, do yourself a favor and get a couple manuals.
Old 04-19-2010, 20:38   #17
mattellis2

here is my pet load for .308 winchester....

trim to length: 2.005"
primer: remington 9.5 LRP
projectile: 175 grain a-max
propellant: 123.2 grains of bullseye. note: this is a compressed load.
c.o.l. 2.780"

hey, you read it on the internet, it has to be good, right?
mattellis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 21:51   #18
FlyfishermanMike

I don't own any of the books but have read them all. I would start a new load without checking 3+ of them then averaging them out. With some loads I've found a pretty big range and even very different max loads. The internet is a great supplement but shouldn't be your end all. Some books have seemed pretty worthless with little amounts of data depending on the powder. I can't believe how some can leave out an important piece like OAL?!
FlyfishermanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:22   #19
380Seecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattellis2 View Post
here is my pet load for .308 winchester....

trim to length: 2.005"
primer: remington 9.5 LRP
projectile: 175 grain a-max
propellant: 123.2 grains of bullseye. note: this is a compressed load.
c.o.l. 2.780"

hey, you read it on the internet, it has to be good, right?
Guaranteed one-hole group!

Reloading

380Seecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:59   #20
marklukich

I appreciate all the advice - not sure I fully understand it - yet - but will definitely heed it...

I'll go see if I can find Lyman's 49th and the ABC's of Reloading and do some (more) reading before I get started.

I may be old and stubborn, but I'm not stupid. When every response says I need the books and not a single one says no, that tells me I need to open my mind up more and listen to what I'm being told...

Again - thanks to all who took the time to respond.