Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-19-2010, 22:35   #1
XDRoX

A couple easy questions

1. I accidentally deprimed a case with a live primer in it. I picked it up inspected it, and it looked like normal. So I used it again. But then I just saw the thread about how to remove a live primer and I didn't hear anyone say it was OK to use again.
Was it OK to use again?

Reloading

2. I noticed that my new 550B puts a very small dimple on the center of the primer after priming. It is very slight, but noticeable. I checked the primer seat and it doesn't have any debris on it. The dimple is very very very small but it's there on all 50 rounds that I loaded.
Anything to worry about?

Thanks

Last edited by XDRoX; 04-19-2010 at 22:47..
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 00:18   #2
vis35

1. It should be OK, theoretically the primer may have gotten contaminated so I would not trust it for long term storage but if you are going to shoot them up this weekend everything should be fine.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
2. I would suspect there is a small center bump on the seater stem, but I expect you have already checked that. I also have a 550B, sometimes a flake of powder gets on the seater stem and leaves a small dent, but it sounds like you considered that too. Tis a puzzlement. I can't think of anything elese that would cause it.<o:p></o:p>
- Tang Dynasty
vis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:11   #3
BK63

Some primers are softer than others. When I use Federal they often dent but when I uses Winchester or Wolf I never get any dents. The Federal are definately softer so I have to be more careful with those primers.
BK63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:40   #4
PCJim

I have reused unseated live primers in plinking rounds with no noticable differences. If you are making SD rounds, I would not use it just to add another degree of reliability.

On the dimple, thats your 550b's way of letting you know it is smiling at you! But in all seriousness, either your primers are soft or there is something on the primer punch that you have not seen. I oftentimes will find "sliver marks" where a small shaving of brass has ended up on the punch that went unnoticed for a few rounds.
PCJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:43   #5
glockerbob

Ive popped um out many times and used....works fine
glockerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:34   #6
XDRoX

Thanks guys. That's what I wanted to hear.
Old 04-20-2010, 13:25   #7
das9mm26

After loading several rounds on my Dillon 550B, I lightly spray compressed air over the conversion ring area...and DUMP the old primer residue from the bin...
If it were me...I'd STOP loading...and CHECK CAREFULLY to see what's causing the "dimple"......That's NOT NORMAL!!!
das9mm26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 15:54   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockerbob View Post
Ive popped um out many times and used....works fine
This.

When I have to decap a live primer, I do it gently. This reduces the chance of it going off (minimal). Also, the priming compound is a disc under the anvil. It is brittle. If it gets pushed out too suddenly, it could break and the little pieces could fall away, leaving you an empty, dud, primer. I never had this happen, but it COULD happen. So don't reuse primers if you are going on a once in a lifetime Bengal tiger hunt.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 15:56   #9
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
This.

When I have to decap a live primer, I do it gently. This reduces the chance of it going off (minimal). Also, the priming compound is a disc under the anvil. It is brittle. If it gets pushed out too suddenly, it could break and the little pieces could fall away, leaving you an empty, dud, primer. I never had this happen, but it COULD happen. So don't reuse primers if you are going on a once in a lifetime Bengal tiger hunt.
Hey Wiskyt, what do you think about the dimpled primer?
Old 04-20-2010, 15:58   #10
Colorado4Wheel

Nothing wrong with that primer. You will create a lot worse when you get a grain of powder on the punch and pull the handle 100 times before you notice.
Old 04-20-2010, 16:00   #11
XDRoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Nothing wrong with that primer. You will create a lot worse when you get a grain of powder on the punch and pull the handle 100 times before you notice.
Good, that's what I was hoping. That one post a few up scared me. I am using CCI, which are softer than most I believe.
Old 04-20-2010, 16:01   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
Hey Wiskyt, what do you think about the dimpled primer?
Do all of your primers look like that? It looks like you deprimed an upside down primer and the decapping pin left a mark. Either that or there is a nipple on your priming stem.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 16:27   #13
fredj338

Check th epriming punch & see if it has a machined "pin" sticking up & remove it w/ some 400grit sandpaper. I only see those when crud gets into the priming cup & they are never centered like that.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 16:55   #14
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

I have reused them before with no problems.
Maybe run a straight edge over it to make sure it has no tit on it. If so I would use wet/dry paper to remove it.
Old 04-20-2010, 17:16   #15
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Good, that's what I was hoping. That one post a few up scared me. I am using CCI, which are softer than most I believe.
I use mostly CCI. You can dent them with powder on the punch easy enough. Not as easy as federal. I would take the primer punch out and hit the top with some wet/dry paper to get rid of that high spot causing the dimple.
Old 04-20-2010, 20:55   #16
n2extrm

If you call Dillon they will probably send you a new punch. I would suspect it is a flaw in the finish from machining simply because it is dead center. As Fred said you could probably polish it out if you don't want to wait on a new one.

I have done worse to a primer when some junk lands on the punch. I keep a small artists paint brush and a 1" paint brush on the bench. They work great for cleaning the tool head and ram. With no primer on the punch and the station empty push the handle to prime and just brush it off.

As for reuseing the primer, as others said for a target load hell yah, don't waste any these days!
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:44   #17
XDRoX

Just wanted to follow up. I emailed Dillon about the problem the other day. Today I found two new primer seats in my mailbox, free of charge, of course.
Thanks Dillon
Old 04-24-2010, 17:13   #18
Jayman
Big Dummy

Send a message via AIM to Jayman
Quote:
CCI is not that soft. I find it to be at least middle of the road if not a little harder than that.
Jayman is offline   Reply With Quote