Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:39   #1
mikecurnow

FPS and Bullet grain for personal protection

New to this and looking for advice on what hollow point bullet weight and FPS I should be trying to achieve for personal protection.
Thanks

Last edited by mikecurnow; 05-15-2010 at 11:19.. Reason: because i can't spell
mikecurnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 14:39   #2
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)

I found that 155 grain xtp bullet penetrated good and expanded very well and showed very good precision with a modest load of 11 grains of blue dot. I guess it would be going around 1100 fps with my G29, maybe closer to 1160 with the G20 - so not a super power round, but it will still explode milk jugs! 12 grains of blue dot also worked well for precision, more penetration and peeled the lips back further going through milk jugs - less retention (and therefore slightly less diameter) at that speed.

My experience with my gun (all guns are going to be different) was that the precision seemed to be better at 11.0 and 12.3 grains than it was outside of those ranges (tested 10.5-12.6 grains in 2-3 gr. steps).

200 grain XTP seems to be my preference now though. I loaded up some 8.2-8.6 grain Blue dot range and there were no signs of overpressure. I tend to believe that a 200 grain jacketed bullet is the ultimate all-purpose weight for the 10mm. I think I am going to develop a 200 grain load to use for self-defense and hunting and call it quits.

This is all something you have to experiment with of course...each gun has unique tolerances and your results may vary.
Old 04-20-2010, 16:12   #3
Taterhead
Counting Beans

You will, no doubt, get varying opinions here.

I agree with Kegs about the accuracy of XTPs. They are noticeably accurate in my experience. The 180 grain is very versatile.

Speer's Accurate #9 data for the 165 gr Gold Dot HP is worth consideration. I am loading A9 a bit below max (15.2 gr) and running about 1325 fps. This is a stout, but manageable, and accurate load in my G20. Should be a pretty good overall projectile for SD, in my opinion.

For protection from animals, I like the 200 gr WFNGC hardcast. I carry those when in the mountains. I run those with a charge of A9 @ 1205 fps. There is no published load data that I know of, so do load work ups very slowly. The 200 gr XTP would be my second choice. With a standard length barrel, one could expect to get 1150+ fps with published load data.

Last edited by Taterhead; 04-29-2010 at 17:58.. Reason: Typo
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 21:44   #4
gator378
Gator378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
I found that 155 grain xtp bullet penetrated good and expanded very well and showed very good precision with a modest load of 11 grains of blue dot. I guess it would be going around 1100 fps with my G29, maybe closer to 1160 with the G20 - so not a super power round, but it will still explode milk jugs! 12 grains of blue dot also worked well for precision, more penetration and peeled the lips back further going through milk jugs - less retention (and therefore slightly less diameter) at that speed.

My experience with my gun (all guns are going to be different) was that the precision seemed to be better at 11.0 and 12.3 grains than it was outside of those ranges (tested 10.5-12.6 grains in 2-3 gr. steps).

200 grain XTP seems to be my preference now though. I loaded up some 8.2-8.6 grain Blue dot range and there were no signs of overpressure. I tend to believe that a 200 grain jacketed bullet is the ultimate all-purpose weight for the 10mm. I think I am going to develop a 200 grain load to use for self-defense and hunting and call it quits.

This is all something you have to experiment with of course...each gun has unique tolerances and your results may vary.
+ 1 on the 200 grain XTP. I load mine in the 1200 fps area 12.5 grains AA#9
No problems
Old 05-15-2010, 11:21   #5
mikecurnow

Thanks for the info.
mikecurnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 14:22   #6
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

My carry loads are Hornady 200 XTP's as well, my load is Blue Dot or Power Pistol.

I like the Power Pistol from my G-29.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22   #7
preventec47

I personally think that any warmly powered bullet heavier than
155 or or 165 gr will have excessive penetration and thusly
lots of wasted energy after passing through the bad guy
leaving a smaller wound channel.
By that logic, I have settled on 155g XTP loaded to full power
that will have a much larger diameter wound channel although
much shallower.
Ie 12 to 14 inches instead of 22 - 25 inches.

I would say the avg dimension front to back of the chest
of a normal 225 pound guy is no more than ten inches.

Of course if you can line the bad guys up Like Shelleck did
in Down Under so you can take out 2 or 3 with one shot
then of course you need the 200grainers. Much more econonical
that way.
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10   #8
ctkelly

One thing to remember is ballistic gelatin is not human tissue/muscle/bone....12-14" in ballistic gelatin does not translate into 12-14" penetration into a human.

Also consider that as you go up in bullet weight, the hollow point cavities and hardness are generally tweaked to get them to open up reliably unless specifically used for hunting applications. The cavity on a 180 grain nosler, remington golden saber are large and deep compared to a 165/155. Really the only time some of the heavier bullets should pass through is if the hollow point becomes plugged and fails to expand and acts like a FMJ...which can be a problem for any HP bullet.

Speer is also releasing short barrel hollow points for the 40/10mm line if they ever catch up on production....similar to what was done for the 357/38 special, those hollow point cavities are huge in comparison to the "normal" GDHP.

All in all, 135-180 if loaded properly I would not hesitate to use any of them for personal protection against humans. Bears I would probably go to the 200 XTP or a hardcast bullet.
ctkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:35   #9
preventec47

The other thing about somewhat lighter bullets
( without gettin crazy) is that for any given level of Ft-Lbs
ie faster smaller bullets vs heavier slower bullets, the
lighter bullet loads are going to have less recoil. More
controllable better accuracy etc.
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 18:18   #10
mejetski2000

I'm a bit curious as to exactly what 10mm pistol the OP is using, kinda surprised it hasn't come up. I haven't shot a Delta or other 1911 gun but I have had a M20 (my first 10mm) and downsized to a M29 for easier carry. Initially with the 20 I used Nosler's 150gr with both Power Pistol and AA#7. Book "max" with both gave mid-1300fps. In my 29 I've just started working with Nosler's 135 and I really like it in this gun. I've also worked up a 185gr .45+P at just under 1,110fps (5"gun). In a smaller gun like the 29 for people and smaller critters I think a 135gr at 1,350fps or so is a good "compromise" between controllability and effective terminal ballistics. For a glock 20 I'd still go with the 150gr Nosler and either #7 (less flashy) or Power Pistol for a bit more velocity. I also like the look of Speer's 180gr "short barrel" GDHP but they're getting stupid money for it IMO. Nosler just introduced a 180gr and if the jacket design is similar to their other bullets I doubt expansion is going to be an issue. The 250-packs are easier on the wallet and that will help strech your $$ and shoot more. Just my .02...

Pete
mejetski2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 18:33   #11
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

That would help to have all the facts! The more that someone shares the better the return data. We see so many posters state a question but there details are lacking enough info to provide more precise information to their situation.

Then tangents are spawned to carry this in another direction...Oh well!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote