Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2010, 16:51   #1
JohnW1963

New P30 coming: What to look for during initial inspection?

I ordered a P30 V3 DA/SA and it should be shipped to my FFL next week. I had one P30 briefly last year, a LEM that seemed really stiff, but due to circumstances beyond my control I was forced to sell it before I even got to shoot it so I'm still pretty much a H&K and P30 newbie.

When my FFL gets the P30 and I get to inspect it for the first time what are some of the basics to look for re: fit, function and finish and what are some of the more subtle, yet still important things I should be checking?

Also, when I take it to the range what to look for? (I already read about some P30's needing to be broken in using 124 gr ammo and have ordered a case of Winchester 124 gr NATO to get me started.)

Thanks for any pointers. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->
Old 04-22-2010, 08:26   #2
sourdough44

I'd just break it down, basic field strip nothing special, & clean it. I mean a few lightly lubed patches & a wipe down. A drop or two of oil on the slide. Then shoot, enjoy & familiarize. The folks that built & inspected it probably know more about the gun than we do.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:52   #3
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Thankfully, HK QC is so good there is really nothing you need to check over or worry about with your brand new pistol.

Just field strip it and clean/lube it as you do any of your other pistols.

Enjoy!
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03   #4
JoeCitizen

With polymer pistols I tend to remove the slide right off the bat. I insert a magazine to make sure it doesn’t bobble around too bad. Often times the mag catch is plastic and want to make sure it locks and releases well. I look closely where the little frame rails meet the plastic frame. I’m looking for small cracks but mostly inconsistencies in manufacturing such as gaps between metal and plastic or little chunks of plastic missing (I learned this one from a glock 21sf bought new). I look for the same things all around the loading block area. The rails and loading block take the brunt of transitional and impact forces during recoil. You want the plastic to metal contact to be complete. Lastly, I dry fire it a few times because it doesn’t take much of a manufacturing mistake to make the firing mechanisms junky feeling. They fit pretty tightly together often with parts needing to slide past one another when firing. That’s it. It’s all I do. Takes about 20 to 30 seconds.
JoeCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 15:53   #5
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW1963 View Post

(I already read about some P30's needing to be broken in using 124 gr ammo and have ordered a case of Winchester 124 gr NATO to get me started.)
A P30 needing to be broken in with 124gr ammo is a myth!
Polymer framed pistols don't need to be "broken in".

When you get your new P30:
1. Give it a good overall visual inspection.
2. Field strip it, clear the bore by running a patch through it.
3. Lube as instructed in the owner's manual.

Then shoot it! Make sure everything functions correctly including
the decocker and locking open on the last round.

At that point it's "broken in'!
Enjoy your new HK!
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:19   #6
Larry V

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW1963 View Post
I ordered a P30 V3 DA/SA and it should be shipped to my FFL next week. I had one P30 briefly last year, a LEM that seemed really stiff, but due to circumstances beyond my control I was forced to sell it before I even got to shoot it so I'm still pretty much a H&K and P30 newbie.

When my FFL gets the P30 and I get to inspect it for the first time what are some of the basics to look for re: fit, function and finish and what are some of the more subtle, yet still important things I should be checking?

Also, when I take it to the range what to look for? (I already read about some P30's needing to be broken in using 124 gr ammo and have ordered a case of Winchester 124 gr NATO to get me started.)

Thanks for any pointers. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

Bring it home , Clean it , lube it, and then take it to the range and blast away. I just got a P30 40 and I love it. its soaccurate andfun to shoot its amazing.
Larry V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:13   #7
gtmtnbiker98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBnTX View Post
A P30 needing to be broken in with 124gr ammo is a myth!

Enjoy your new HK!
I'll disagree with you on this one, there's been more than enough posts over on HKPro regarding stiff recoil springs and under powered range ammo.
gtmtnbiker98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:25   #8
JBnTX
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
I'll disagree with you on this one, there's been more than enough posts over on HKPro regarding stiff recoil springs and under powered range ammo.

I've read all those posts and I think it's more of a weak ammo problem than
stiff recoil springs.

My P30, and all my 9mm HK pistols, have operated perfectly right out of the
box with WWB 115gr ammo. Not the most powerful 9mm around.

Same with my 45 HK's and WWB 230gr.
Perfect functioning every time.
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 14:46   #9
Billet

Clean it, lube it, experiment with different grip pannels and fire away. My P30 V3 ran great with 115g WWB up until about 2,500 rounds when it had its first failure to eject. I've had roughly one FTE every 2,500 rounds with WWB through 13,000 rounds. No problems with AE 124g, Blazer Brass 115g or any defense ammo. I've seen two USPs lock up just short of battery due to deformed cases with WWB.

On a side note, my HK45 has fired several thousand low-powered reloads with no malfunctions. Many of these had slightly deformed cases that would not fit in a case gage. Some stuck tight in the pistol's chamber, making it very difficult to manually rack the slide to un-chamber the round.

Last edited by Billet; 04-29-2010 at 15:11..
Billet is offline   Reply With Quote