Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:16   #1
oregondrifter

Animal Defense Load?

I am considering packing my G37 as a backup when hunting this year. Possible concerns are mt. lion, bear and now, wolf. (Yes, I know that my 44 mag would be a better choice for bear, but lets assume you are carrying only 45 GAP for now.)

So, if you could fashion the best load to use, (again, only 4- legged animals, no courtroom liability issues here), what would it be?

Bullets:
160gr. Barnes 160gr TAX-XP
185gr Hornady or Gold Dot JHP
230 gr. JHP
FMJ ???

Velocity: Max?

Thanks, in advance, OD
Gen 4 G17, G37, G39, Kahr P380. Bulls Dogs #92
"Dream On, Dream On, Dream On, Dream until you Dreams come true!" Aerosmith
oregondrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 18:12   #2
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

...this is a joke, right?...

You're going to go in Mountain Lion, Bear and Wolf territory armed with a only handgun and to top it off it is going to be chamered for 45GAP of all calibers? I guess it's better than nothing but if you run into wolves you might be able to scare em off with a warning shot but these are pack animals so ya never know. You run into a mountain lion and I don't even know if you'll what it is before you're dead, lol. They usually attack from behind and go for the neck. At least with bears you can get a chance piss them off first before you die. I hope you don't go around shooting animals for fun especially ones that are bigger, faster, stronger and all around deadlier than you... A human armed with a handgun is lower on the food chain than a human armed with a high powered rifle and I hope you can remember that.

EDIT- Wow, I spent my whole time writing that and then I looked up and realized that this was going to be your back up weapon, haha. Never mind me, I am an idiot.
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie

Last edited by GreyEclipse; 04-22-2010 at 18:14..
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 22:01   #3
21 shooter

I think the 230gr. would be better for bear, and the lighter bullet for mt. lion. With either bullet, I would go for max velocity. I think the XTP bullets expand less, but penetrate more. And either of these loads would be excellent for any 2-legged varmints you run across. Also, I have shot several different factory loads and reloads through my G37 and the accuracy has been quite good with all of them.

Rimfire Club #66 Niners Club #121
Big Dawg #1121 Wheelhouse #1121
Sub Club #1121
21 shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 14:02   #4
oregondrifter

Grey - your not an idiot. I would have felt the same.

So, what load would you carry? OD
Gen 4 G17, G37, G39, Kahr P380. Bulls Dogs #92
"Dream On, Dream On, Dream On, Dream until you Dreams come true!" Aerosmith
oregondrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 19:05   #5
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondrifter View Post
Grey - your not an idiot. I would have felt the same.

So, what load would you carry? OD
I can continue laughing at myself...there is hope for me yet!

I honestly have no knowledge of the .45GAP so I can't be of any help.
But I will say that I prefer heavier bullets when it comes to most handgun calibers. The heavier bullet would be more likely to take down a Wolf. You might want to do a penetration test and see which bullet has the best penetration as penetration is very, very important factor when it comes to Bear and Mountain Lion. They have so much muscle that bullets need a lot of penetration to hit anything vital. Not to mention that their skin is a lot like leather. In all honesty, I wouldn't trust a handgun to take any of those animals down, even the wolves. They are savage and primal. Don't really care about pain till they're dead. It's definitely possible to dispatch of these animals with nothing but a handgun but that is highly, highly unlikely.
You're more likely to scare em off with the handgun than actually kill em. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about what handgun ammo you use because like you said, .44 Mag is obviously a better choice and either way the handgun is the last ditch effort. The option to use when the animal is busy gnawing off your limbs. I know this doesn't help much but good luck! lol.
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie

Last edited by GreyEclipse; 04-23-2010 at 19:19..
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 23:39   #6
Ak.Hiker

I sometimes carry my Glock 36 in the woods and when I do my first choice is the Buffalo Bore 230 grain +P FMJ flat point. The closest load that I know of in GAP is the Double Tap 230 grain FMJ flat point. They load it at 940 fps. This kind of performance compares to some of the original 45 Colt loads with only 25 grains less bullet and similar velocity. Sounds like a good back up load to me. My second choice would be a name brand 230 grain ball.
Ak.Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:31   #7
Jr.
CLM Number 280
Charter Lifetime Member

I only trust hard cast bullets for hunting and backup while out in the woods. See if double tap would be willing to load up some 200gr. hardcast for you. That would be the most effective for a 45gap.