SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:21   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Harris Bipod(s) help:

Hi.. I am looking for help with Harris bipods.

I would like a basic, if possible small yet tacticool, bipod for the S&W M&P 15-22. Not too expensive or fancy really. JIC .

Perhaps also, for my Savage Mark II GXP .22LR I would really like a nice one but can I install it without ruining the very nice wood stock? Or just get a locksmitch to do it? Same note would get one for my Remington 597 .22LR, but thats a synthetic stock, any difference?

I looked at the website, so many options it was confusing. I have a quadrail on the M&P so I could install a bipod "picatinny style" right? But on the .22LR's I'd have to actually INSTALL them?

And I don' need anything too big or fancy, not like I'm SOCOM M1A'ing it up or match shooting. Thanks for any and all help

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:28   #2
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post

I would like a basic, if possible small yet tacticool, bipod for the S&W M&P 15-22. Not too expensive or fancy really. JIC .

Perhaps also, for my Savage Mark II GXP .22LR I would really like a nice one but can I install it without ruining the very nice wood stock? Or just get a locksmitch to do it? Same note would get one for my Remington 597 .22LR, but thats a synthetic stock, any difference?

I looked at the website, so many options it was confusing. I have a quadrail on the M&P so I could install a bipod "picatinny style" right? But on the .22LR's I'd have to actually INSTALL them?

And I don' need anything too big or fancy, not like I'm SOCOM M1A'ing it up or match shooting. Thanks for any and all help

I don't really understand your question but Harris Bipods just mount to the sling lug, then you attach your sling to the bipod. They are not permenant and wont damage your stock. What does a locksmith have to do with it? Get a Picatinny rail mounted sling swivel and use one bipod for all 3 guns.

For a .22 look at rockmount bipods, they aren't as good a Harris but they con't cost the same as a Harris either.

Last edited by Travclem; 04-22-2010 at 12:31..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22   #3
DJ Niner

Quote:

The Harris bipods mount to any gun that has a standard sling swivel stud. I always recommend using a stud with a machine screw thread and backing nut for strength, as the bipod mounting system can exert quite a bit of pull on the stud, which can eventually loosen a wood-screw-thread stud and allow it to pull out of the stock (most often on heavy-kicking centerfire rifles, but it can also happen on .22s if they get knocked around a bit).

On my S&W M&P-22, I used a machine-screw stud w/nut. Figured out where I wanted it, drilled a hole, filed two opposing "flats" on the sides of the round countersink nut, slipped it into the slot in the front of the handguard and pushed it back until it lined up with the hole, then fiddled around until I got the screw to start and tightened it up. Custom cut a slot in a short rail cover to make it look like it belonged there, and I was done. Some pics:

Here you can see the sling swivel stud:
Gun-Parts & Access.

Same day, with Harris model "L" (9"-13") swiveling bipod mounted (retracted to 9"):
Gun-Parts & Access.

After scope was mounted (for small varmint season), with Harris model "BR" non-swiveling bipod mounted (6"-9", fully extended to 9"):
Gun-Parts & Access.

Same bipod, retracted to 6" and folded:
Gun-Parts & Access.

You could also get a slide-on rail-mounted stud that is designed to be used as a bipod mounting point, as travclem mentioned, above. Several companies make them, and it makes slipping a bipod onto a rail very quick/easy, without modifying the firearm. The bipods themselves are vary easy to mount/dismount, and can easily be moved from gun to gun. Examples:

http://www.harrisbipods.com/HB638.html

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2..._BIPOD_ADAPTER

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...m_campaign=655

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/14246-7.html

Last edited by DJ Niner; 04-23-2010 at 01:38..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:30   #4
DJ Niner

Any decent gunsmith can install a swivel stud, but I'd make sure to specify that you're going to be using a bipod on it, and ask about a machine-screw w/nut stud. The wood-stocked Savage should be no problem at all, but the 597's synthetic stock may present some challenges, depending on its construction and where you want/need the stud to end up (if the stock is hollow in some areas, this can be a problem).

Talk to the gunsmith about the mounting location, and have the bipod in-hand during the discussion if possible (heck, some shops may discount the stud installation if you buy the bipod and stud there). You may be surprised at how much a gunsmith may charge to do this type of work; I'd ask for a "total-cost" written quote to prevent misunderstandings or add-on charges.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 04-23-2010 at 01:41..
Old 04-23-2010, 15:08   #5
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

THX DJ Niner .... Next week I'm gonna PM you if thats okay?

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 20:08   #6
DJ Niner

Quote:
THX DJ Niner .... Next week I'm gonna PM you if thats okay?
No problem at all!