SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2010, 19:20   #1
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Send a message via AIM to s0nspark Send a message via Skype™ to s0nspark
New sights installed ... Am I overreacting?

I just bought a new S&W M&P9C and took it to a local shop to have the gunsmith install a set of Ameriglo Pro Operator sights. When I picked it up today the smith told me he had a hard time getting the front sight on and, even though he was using a brass punch, the sight got "beat up"... At the time it just looked scuffed so I wasn't really concerned about it.

However, once I got it home and was disassembling the pistol to upgrade the sear, I got to looking at the damage closer and notice that it really is beat up. I am quite unhappy with the work and after taking pictures to attach I got even madder once I saw the situation in hi-res :-(

I'll admit, I tend to be picky... so I may be blowing it out of proportion, but this just seems like really poor work to me. I wonder if I will have rust issues as a result... Thoughts? Do you think I have grounds to get them to replace the front sight? (As in, buy me a replacement - I won't have them work on my guns any more after this!)

Last edited by s0nspark; 11-25-2010 at 10:05..
s0nspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 19:30   #2
porkchop817

As a non gunsmith, with little to no gunsmithing experience...I've installed aftermarket sites on my pistols myself, and never had any come out that looked like that.

The Gunsmith should have atleast offered to give you your money back, or something...that work is nothing to be proud of.
porkchop817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 19:39   #3
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

In my opinion, by his own admission the "gunsmith" was using the wrong tool for the job, and this is TERRIBLE work. He should replace this beat up POS that he just scrapped for you. If a gunsmith does not have the proper sight pusher so that he can do the job without ruining a sight like this, then he should say so, and refer you to someone else.

Let this be a lesson to those who think a hammer and punch is OK to use as a sight pusher. While it's true that on some lucky occasions, you'll get a looser fitting one that drives in easily, on other occasions you'll get a sight that fits tighter and only a proper sight pusher can do the job without getting a bad result like this. This is what I'd expect of a do-it-yourself-er with no tools. From someone who claims to be a gunsmith, this is totally unacceptable.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 20:00   #4
j-glock22

Yikes! I made a mistake of having a set of NS installed on one of my Glocks at GM... took them over an hour to get it done. Luckely they were calibrated correctly and looked good, but dang man.....
Hope you kept your receipt.
j-glock22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 21:26   #5
Wash-ar15

This is why I pay for a site pusher for both my Glocks and MP. The front site of Mp's are notorious for being tight.

Did yo buy the site there? If you did,I would complain and ask for a new set. If you did not, tell them you dissatisfaction with the install and see what they say. or you can buy a new front site only and have a person with a pusher install it.

what state are you in?
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 21:30   #6
jj40

Take it back, get a refund and if any damage was done to the slide make them take the responsability to repair it.
jj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 21:53   #7
JohnKSa

I agree with you that I wouldn't let them touch my gun again.

They need to refund the money and buy you a new front sight.
JohnKSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:11   #8
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash-ar15 View Post
This is why I pay for a site pusher for both my Glocks and MP. The front site of Mp's are notorious for being tight.

Did yo buy the site there? If you did,I would complain and ask for a new set. If you did not, tell them you dissatisfaction with the install and see what they say. or you can buy a new front site only and have a person with a pusher install it.

what state are you in?
I'm in NC...

I did not buy the sights there, but IMO that shouldn't matter. I may have a hard time getting satisfaction out of this, regardless, but I am going to push for a refund and a replacement front sight.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:51   #9
MrVvrroomm

Gunsmithing

Your "gunsmith" should have been using something that resembled the above, NOT something that looked like below.

Gunsmithing

You are no overreacting. The guy f'd up your sights. He should replace them.

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:57   #10
Bluecard
GUNDWG

That's horse dung!! I would make him purchase you a new front sight. That is unacceptable. I change those regularly for officers and there is no cause for such crappy work!!!
Bluecard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:04   #11
DEADLYACCURATE

Go get your money back
DEADLYACCURATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:24   #12
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Thanks for the feedback everyone - sometimes I am too picky about things and it helped a lot to hear I was justified in my unhappiness with this.

I went back to the shop today and after a bit of complaining got a refund for the install fee and am having them contact Ameriglo for a replacement ... they *claimed* that Ameriglo would replace it free so I felt it best to let them handle that for me :-)

The guy I talked to told me that they see this problem with Ameriglo sights all the time (never Trijicon or Meprolights... "real" night sights, in his words) and that "it can't be helped"... that right after I called out the gunsmith on not using a sight pusher and he told me that a pusher was only for the rear sight (and he admitted he only had a Glock pusher...)

I've held off on buying my own sight pusher for fear I'd mess things up but after this debacle I'm thinking even if I had screwed up it wouldn't have been *this* bad :-/
Old 04-24-2010, 12:36   #13
Wash-ar15

See if you can find someone in your area that has a site pusher.

If you were close to me, I would have done it for free,like i have done for a few folks already.

I would not let that gunsmith touch my gun again though.

Last edited by Wash-ar15; 04-24-2010 at 12:37..
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:52   #14
pangloss9

He owes you a new front sight and a refund. I'm not a gunsmith, but if I were and I couldn't do better than that, I'd find a new profession.
pangloss9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 13:17   #15
17119jfkioe

ugly man, I mean some might say glock isnt the prettiest gun anyway so what does it matter. But no one has the right to make it uglier haha. Serious though get your money back, unacceptable.
17119jfkioe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 13:25   #16
DEADLYACCURATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17119jfkioe View Post
ugly man, I mean some might say glock isnt the prettiest gun anyway so what does it matter. But no one has the right to make it uglier haha. Serious though get your money back, unacceptable.
PSSSSSST It isn't a Glock.
DEADLYACCURATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 13:36   #17
popeye9

Did you make him mad before he did the job? my sixteen year old daughter could have done better and she know nothing about guns. Get your money back and go somewhere else.
popeye9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 14:11   #18
s0nspark
Talk is cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye9 View Post
Did you make him mad before he did the job? my sixteen year old daughter could have done better and she know nothing about guns. Get your money back and go somewhere else.
Maybe I just didn't ask nice enough... I dunno.

It is one thing when I use one of my guns and it gets worn or beat up - it is entirely something else when someone else does it for me, especially when they should know better and I'm paying them not to!
Old 04-24-2010, 14:24   #19
argy1182

I agree with the rest of the folks. I have no formal training in this regard and installed my sights without any issue. I don't know what the heck he did there, but it's not right; especially for a professionally paid job.
argy1182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 14:37   #20
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
............The guy I talked to told me that they see this problem with Ameriglo sights all the time (never Trijicon or Meprolights... "real" night sights, in his words) and that "it can't be helped"... that right after I called out the gunsmith on not using a sight pusher and he told me that a pusher was only for the rear sight (and he admitted he only had a Glock pusher...)
The idea that "it can't be helped" with Ameriglo's is total BS because I've installed Ameriglo's with a pusher and the pusher does it perfectly every time. As for pushers being "only for rear sights" - again false. It's true of Glocks because they have no dovetail on the front, but on a gun with a front dovetail as you gun does, a pusher is the right tool, just as it is on the back.

The guy is just making excuses for using a butcher shop method on a job he did not have the right equipment for.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote