Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-23-2010, 22:13   #1
matai

Is shooting 40 much different than 10?

I ordered a 40 conversion barrel for my G20. Will shooting target ammo feel much different between the 40 and 10?

Will there be any point of impact differences?

Thanks!
matai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:23   #2
Richard Simmons
American Icon

Can't speak to the G20 but in my S&W 610 shooting 180 FMJ .40 after shooting 180gr Double Tap loads is like shooting .38 Special in a .357. On the flip side I can't tell much if any difference between standard .40 and 10mm loads of the same weight, probably due to the fact that most, off the shelf 10mm ammo, including more than a few "self defense" loads seem to be pretty watered down.

With that being the case I've not seen much chainge in POI between the two calibers within the same bullet weights. Given that my S&W 610 is the 3" model, most of my target work has been within 3-10 with a little bit at 25yds. The change in POI might be a lot more noticeable at say, 75-100yds.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:28   #3
HOV

Shooting .40S&W from a 10mm to me feels like shooting 9mm from a 9mm.

Maybe it's the mass of the slide that makes all the difference, but I think it's a great match and I have no regrets dropping the $160 for the KKM conversion barrel.

I'm not sure about POI because I normally shoot close range.
HOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:30   #4
HOV

Also - if I were to choose a conversion barrel for carry (I wouldn't, but IF...) it would be the 10mm-.40S&W for sure. I believe the reliability of this conversion is one of the best.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:47   #5
DrtyHarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOV View Post
Also - if I were to choose a conversion barrel for carry (I wouldn't, but IF...) it would be the 10mm-.40S&W for sure. I believe the reliability of this conversion is one of the best.
Personally, I would not carry an aftermarket barrel in my EDC.

If you said you put 5000 rounds plus downrange with the barrel and it worked fine, I might think differently. Not sure why you would want to carry the bigger G20 and not carry it with HOT SD 10mm loads. The .40 conversion should be left for range fun and cheap plinking, IMHO. In any case, good luck finding a good barrel!

DH
Old 04-24-2010, 12:11   #6
HOV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrtyHarry View Post
Personally, I would not carry an aftermarket barrel in my EDC.

If you said you put 5000 rounds plus downrange with the barrel and it worked fine, I might think differently. Not sure why you would want to carry the bigger G20 and not carry it with HOT SD 10mm loads. The .40 conversion should be left for range fun and cheap plinking, IMHO. In any case, good luck finding a good barrel!

DH
Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOV
But... as far as carrying it with HOT 10mm loads, I do disagree. I think medium-hot 10mm loads are way more accurate and controllable than the nuclear stuff and I much rather carry stuff that I can shoot controllably and hit my target.

Medium-hot 10mm loads are still greater than anything .40S&W can produce, and are also hotter still than many .357Mag loads... that's the beauty of 10mm.

Last edited by HOV; 04-24-2010 at 12:14..