Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:02   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu Tweak

I've been meaning to do this, and I guess now is as good a time as any. I figure w/ the newest version of Ubuntu coming out in a few days, there's gonna be some new users or some users who aren't very experienced in how the whole system works. I thought I'd take a few days to look at Ubuntu-Tweak.. It's been around a while, I've just never messed with it... I guess I had visions of the various "tweak" programs available for Windoze.

First, the program makes some things very easy to do, that may not be quite so obvious to some. "For Me" I found most of it fairly irrelevant. Editing your source list, adding a ton of different PPA repositories(which may or may not be stable, and thankfully, it warns you of that), various Gnome and Desktop settings, adding/removing programs that start on startup and also installing a ton of software if you're scared of Synaptic. Again, none of this is difficult w/ Ubuntu, just sometimes it's not very obvious.

For those of you familiar w/ the "Ubuntu Software Center".. to me, Ubuntu Tweak could be compared to an advanced version of that, as it goes beyond just installing software, but has a very similar interface.

It's easy to install, just download the .deb file, and double click it, then select install package. After its done installing, it will be in Application/System Tools... The file name says its for Ubuntu Karmic, but according to the ubuntu tweak blog, version 0.5.3, is compatible w/ Ubuntu 10.04, and thus far, I've had no problems with it...

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:59   #2
Linux3

IGF,
As a long time Unix admin and self admitted command line snob I was primed and ready to hate this application. Not so.
There are other ways to do everything the application does but it packages lots of useful configs in one convenient place.
I'm all about getting the job done and I have lots of custom scripts for almost everything, but also about spreading the word and ubuntu-tweak could be a great tool for instilling confidence in new users.

What I want to see is if there is a .config file so I could install the app on a new system then move my customizations over. But that's just me.

Nice catch guy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:42   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linux3 View Post
IGF,
As a long time Unix admin and self admitted command line snob I was primed and ready to hate this application. Not so.
There are other ways to do everything the application does but it packages lots of useful configs in one convenient place.
I'm all about getting the job done and I have lots of custom scripts for almost everything, but also about spreading the word and ubuntu-tweak could be a great tool for instilling confidence in new users.

What I want to see is if there is a .config file so I could install the app on a new system then move my customizations over. But that's just me.

Nice catch guy.
I'm not as well versed w/ Linux as you are, but everything this app does, I know how to do w/ other tools or via command line, so I'm sure you'd get by easily without it.. I think you hit it on the head, that its for instilling confidence in new users.. Although, I've found some experienced users I've known quite a while in support channels, who like it as well.

Hmm, the .config file.. I don't *think* that's part of it, as it doesn't really seem geared towards that, but I'll look around... Only way I could think of to do what you're talking about... is to setup your system, then move your entire home directory to the "new" install on the second system. Install all your software, etc.. and it should pick up the config files that you moved from your old PC.. I think..

BTW, are you testing 10.04? I'm very impressed. I think it should release w/ very few bugs, but I think the problems w/ Plymouth need to be worked out quickly.. just not sure it will be done by release. Thankfully, Plymouth only controls the GUI boot(screen may flicker a bit, or just be black), so its not a huge issue. For a short while, it was interfering w/ installing ATI graphics drivers. I don't have ATI, but it didn't seem to cause to many issues for me w/ Nvidia.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 04-24-2010 at 06:49..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:51   #4
Linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
BTW, are you testing 10.04? I'm very impressed. I think it should release w/ very few bugs, but I think the problems w/ Plymouth need to be worked out quickly.. just not sure it will be done by release. Thankfully, Plymouth only controls the GUI boot(screen may flicker a bit, or just be black), so its not a huge issue. For a short while, it was interfering w/ installing ATI graphics drivers. I don't have ATI, but it didn't seem to cause to many issues for me w/ Nvidia.
IGF
Sad to say I am not. I've just been too swamped.
I do like the Long Term Releases so I have to get cracking soon. They make the most sense in a business environment where my users just want a tool and don't want to see changes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 22:33   #5
thejellster05

Send a message via Yahoo to thejellster05
Thanks IGF! I'm still pretty new to linux and I definitely like this program!
thejellster05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:53   #6
area727
G23

Thanks for the heads up on this tool, IGF. I usually search the internet until I find an answer on how do accomplish/fix something in Ubuntu. This might make things a little easier in some cases.
area727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 13:33   #7
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
That's a Bingo!

Downloading it now...

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote