Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:41   #1
CaptJim
Lifetime Membership

ASP Kubotan/OC spray combo for wife

Hi Mas,

Have enjoyed and gathered much real life info from you over the years. THANKS.

A few years ago, I bought my wife a small keychain OC spray to carry in her hand/purse in case she should need to defend herself. I have replaced the units as they go out of date and now need to do so again.

My question is this: My wife and I are seniors and she has disabilities (inner ear/equilibrium) that preclude taking any organized training. I took a self defense course given by a mixed martial artist who taught us many helpful techniques. Some of the most useful to me seemed to be the use of wrist/finger locks and many different pressure points. Adding a small Kubotan or stiff pen to the techniques more than evened the playing field between me and some of my younger and stronger sparring partners that didn't have Arthritis.

Somewhere I saw a small (5 1/2"?) hollow aluminum Kubotan with a heavy keyring strong enough to flail with and also contained an OC capsule allowing 5 or 6 1/2 second sprays. I thought this tool might be good for someone like my wife (assuming she could do a little training with it). She says it might be taken from her and then used to attack her, but I say she would be suprised how hard she could fight if the chips were down and not to sell herself short.

Do you know of this combination tool, and what is your opinion of the effectiveness.

Sorry to run on and Thanks,

Jim
Old 04-26-2010, 23:38   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Jim, combined functions make great sense with "smart phones," but we have to be a little more careful with them with weaponry.

Combined aerosol incapacitants and impact weapons have been around for more than 30 years. They certainly have advantages -- convenience, and multiple options in one package -- but as you noted in your post, training is absolutely necessary.

My suggestion would be to put your wife through a four-hour Kubotan or Persuader course. One thing she will notice there is how often the thumb is on the base of the device when using it for leverage or strikes. The thumb on the base of the device is what activates the spray. Therefore, she'll have to work around the possibility of spraying with it when she means to strike with it.

OC spray deployment, like the Kubotan and related devices, needs training, too. My compliments to you for recognizing the need for training to go with the defensive tool(s).

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:46   #3
CaptJim
Lifetime Membership

Thanks for the comments, they are well taken. I will see if I can get the wife to try some individual sessions with the SD instructor.

As with many things in life simpler is often better. unintended release of the OC could be really bad for the wrong person.

Jim

Last edited by CaptJim; 04-27-2010 at 05:46..
CaptJim is offline   Reply With Quote