Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-28-2010, 17:26   #1
ColCol

USP Coimpact 45 or Full size

I've recently handled the USP Compact in 45 and it feels just great but, I'd like to see/feel the difference between it and the full size model. Unfortunately, there is none around to see.

Is there a great difference in the feel of these two-that is, the size of the grip? I have regular sized hands, I suppose but relatively short thumbs and didn't know if the full size may be a problem. I like the longer barrel for the full size better than the short 3.75" on the compact but it feels so great in your hand. Moreover, you get a couple extra rounds with the full size version.

Last edited by ColCol; 04-28-2010 at 17:37..
ColCol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 20:52   #2
beretta-neo

The grip size of the fullsize is a little bigger.
beretta-neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:49   #3
majette

for a better grip and higher capacity than the compact look at the hk45.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:06   #4
ColCol

I mentioned this in another thread but today I got to feel the full size 45 and the compact version. The compact definitely felt better so I rented it to try it out.

After about ten rounds I noticed the outside edge of my trigger finger was beginning to be a bit sore and subsequent rounds fired made it worse so, I halted my experiment after about 25 rounds. I know I'm holding it the way I always do and can only contribute it to the outside edge of the trigger digging in to the first digit on the trigger finger-especially under recoil which the Compact definitely recoils quite a bit with 230gr loads.

Is this me or has anyone else had this to happen? I don't recall any other pistol doing this before. Maybe I'm just being a wuss but it was a little painful.
Old 04-30-2010, 14:17   #5
DannyB

I had a full-sized H&K USP 45 and sold it due to it's grip size and my medium sized hands. I now have a full-sized USP 40 and will probably own it forever.

If I got the bug for another 45, other than a single-stack 1911, I would go for the Glock Model 21 SF.
Old 05-01-2010, 13:44   #6
TalkToTheGlock
Zombie Hunter

I have both a USP45 and USP45 tac and I must say thatthe fullsize fits my hand perfectly. However, I do have larger hands.

I held the USP45c before I purchased my first USP. While it was comfortable, it was a bit on the small size.
TalkToTheGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 21:28   #7
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

I recently aquired a fullsized USP45 and it fits in my gorilla paw perfectly
Old 05-01-2010, 21:35   #8
Hydraulicman

Send a message via AIM to Hydraulicman
i'd go full size . the compact is still chunkey.

big .45's rock
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07   #9
Chonny

The HK45 is actually worth the extra cash. Its a very nice shooter as well as having all the latest HK features. HK USP45 is like 850 and a HK45 is around 950-975. Hell its worth it just for the sights and the grip. If you want a compact the 45c is also a hell of a nice gun.

The dimensions of the HK45c are between a USP 45 Compact and a USP 45 (or HK45). Single stack 8 or 10 round mags.

Last edited by Chonny; 05-04-2010 at 09:09..
Chonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 20:25   #10
ColCol

Nice it is-fits the hand beautifully. I'm still trying to figure why it made my trigger finger sore for several days..maybe the hump on the trigger guard? I don't know but it was a great shooter despite a bit of pain. Of course, I was shooting Buffalo Bore's 230 gr +P ammo-maybe that had something to do with it. I'm wondering how the 9mm would shoot. Too bad they didn't have one of those to try out.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:17   #11
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post
I mentioned this in another thread but today I got to feel the full size 45 and the compact version. The compact definitely felt better so I rented it to try it out.

After about ten rounds I noticed the outside edge of my trigger finger was beginning to be a bit sore and subsequent rounds fired made it worse so, I halted my experiment after about 25 rounds. I know I'm holding it the way I always do and can only contribute it to the outside edge of the trigger digging in to the first digit on the trigger finger-especially under recoil which the Compact definitely recoils quite a bit with 230gr loads.

Is this me or has anyone else had this to happen? I don't recall any other pistol doing this before. Maybe I'm just being a wuss but it was a little painful.
I carry the USP 45 Compact every day. In recoil, it is one of the softest shooting 45's that I have every fired. It even has less recoil than a full size 1911! Now perceived recoil is relative to the individual shooter so what the recoil feels like to me may be more/less to you. I haven't had the problem that you described above with any of my HK pistols but have had it happen with Glocks on occasion. The grip on the full size USP will be a little bit larger, but that may position your hand differently on the gun and eliminate or worsen your trigger finger problem. The only real way to know is to shoot one and find out. If the USP won't work for you, check out the HK 45C. It is their newest compact 45 and has interchangeable back straps and improved ergonomics to make the gun more comfortable. Take a look at the P2000 series as well. They don't come in .45 but one of those may fit you a little better. Lastly, if the DA/SA trigger isn't to your liking, check out the LEM trigger system. It is HK's version of a DAO trigger and are so good, my next HK will have the LEM trigger! I hope this helps and good luck!
Old 05-07-2010, 02:21   #12
PlayboyPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah View Post

Do you have smaller hands? That sounds like an issue of the grip being a bit too large for your finger to reach properly.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:22   #13
pgg00

I have both the full size and the compact. they are both great guns. The compact does recoil a little bit more then the full size but is still tame. I have a S&W 457 that jumps alot more. Even my little LCP has more felt recoil then the HK compact. It is very accurate also. I just wish it would take the full size mags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14   #14
Chonny

Sounds like you may have slightly short fingers. Try one of the guns with exchangeable backstraps. The "thin" backstrap for the HK45c changes the grip noticeably. You could definitely wrap your trigger finger around it a lot easier.

As far as the USP 45. I thought it was a bit big, but its a double stack .45, so therefore its not unexpected.

The USP 9mm shoots like a dream. Id rather have a P2000 or P30 because of the modular features (exchangeable backstraps).

Stop shooting Buffalo Bore. lol

Last edited by Chonny; 05-07-2010 at 09:16..
Chonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:11   #15
ColCol

I must apologize to HK aficionados as today I went to the range with my Glock 23 and some Ranger T in 165 gr and some old CorBon 135 gr I had stashed back and noticed after a magazine(14 rounds) full, my trigger finger started hurting like it did last time I went to the range.

Apparently it's the Glock's little "safety" on the trigger that protrudes a bit that's causing that problem. The finger gets sore after about 10-15 rounds.

I had both the USP Compact 45 and the Glock 21 in my booth at the range and thought it was the USP Compact that was causing the problem but, obviously after todays run with the G23 it was the G21 with the +P BB ammo instead. I've lost about 25 pounds in the past few months and maybe my index finger lost some weight too. At any rate, I ended up today having to wrap some masking tape around the first digit of my finger in order to continue to shoot. Now I really feel like a wuss.

Quote:
Do you have smaller hands? That sounds like an issue of the grip being a bit too large for your finger to reach properly.
Yep, I think I do. My fingers are relatively short and my sister index finger is nearly as long as my thumb...and she's just 95 pounds. I'm 5'-9'' and weight about 172 so not exactly demunitive but not a big guy for sure. I've shot various pistols since about 1970 and really don't recall any problem with a trigger at all before. The USP Compact 45 fit my hand well-better than the full size version. The attachment shows my finger in relation to the trigger and you can see how short the thumb is on a model 23 Glock.

BTW, Chonny, there will be no more Buffalo Bore +P in 45 for me. I'd love to have tried the USP Compact in 9mm but none was available at the range. Today I did get to try(courtesy a security guy next to me) a Ruger SR9C and it was superb. It has the little "dog dick" as I call it, on the trigger like the Glock but, it didn't bother me. It shot like a dream.

Last edited by ColCol; 05-21-2010 at 12:07..
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17   #16
PlayboyPenguin

Yup, you seem to be suffering from what is clinically known as "stubby finger syndrome." Make sure to not buy any doublestack Sigs in the future and you should be able to function in society almost as well as a normal person.
Old 05-07-2010, 20:11   #17
ColCol

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayboyPenguin View Post
Yup, you seem to be suffering from what is clinically known as "stubby finger syndrome." Make sure to not buy any doublestack Sigs in the future and you should be able to function in society almost as well as a normal person.
Stubby finger syndrome-sounds like something I need to see the doctor about. I fear there is little cure for it, however. Actually, I find the P226 to fit rather well surprisingly and I'd love to get my hands on the new E2 version as it would probably be even better. Judging from the price, Sig likes it as well.
Old 05-09-2010, 14:15   #18
ColCol

I've been thinking this over and have decided I'm going to go with either the P30 or USPc in 9mm. I have one of the best 45's I've ever owned already(S&W 4506) and a G23 but have never owned a 9mm so, it may be time. I'm not sure which of those would be best for me as yet, however. The P30 does have the capability of two more rounds and the ergonomics are better from all I've read so, that may be the one.
Old 05-09-2010, 15:47   #19
Aceman

The P30 is an EVIL gun and will possess your soul. Don't even pick it up. Hell, don't even look at it!
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 17:16   #20
ColCol

I've only seen pictures of it and several You Tube videos. It is frightening as it makes my wallet keep jumping out of my pocket throwing my credit card about.