GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 16:00   #1
Snapper2
Senior Member
 
Snapper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: s.east Texas
Posts: 2,374
Informal testing

Tested a few hollow points in 18" of wet newspaper using #7.
165gr rangert I pulled from 40cal bullet expanded to .830
140gr barnes tac-xp expanded to .780
165gr GS to .700 at the pedals(bullet just starting to lose jacket)
165gr GD went the distance but stopped at the bottom. .640
155gr xtp which was loaded a little warmer was .720 and held together in good shape.

Last edited by Snapper2; 07-03-2010 at 18:01..
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 16:30   #2
Kegs
Ol 8 fingers ;)
 
Kegs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cold side of conus
Posts: 2,682
Is that the barnes and the golden saber in the second pic? Those golden saber petals look like they could cut some meat up.
__________________
"What's the down side to 10mm again? Oh, that's right, there isn't one."" Carrier21
Kegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 16:38   #3
Snapper2
Senior Member
 
Snapper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: s.east Texas
Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegs View Post
Is that the barnes and the golden saber in the second pic? Those golden saber petals look like they could cut some meat up.
barnes and ranger t. And yes they would cut some meat. In the past when I loaded then faster, it shed its jacket, but still looked like it would do alot of damage. The GS was the next deepest penetrater behind the GD.
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 17:11   #4
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen
 
texas 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 1,684
Snapper

How deep did the 155XTP penetrate? How hot did you load it and with which powder?

Thanks
__________________
THE HYPNOTIZED NEVER LIE
NRA Member
TSRA Member.
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 18:12   #5
Snapper2
Senior Member
 
Snapper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: s.east Texas
Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas 48 View Post
Snapper

How deep did the 155XTP penetrate? How hot did you load it and with which powder?

Thanks
Tex I tried to keep it at around 1300fps. Accurate arms data for max of #7 is 12.7gr for over 1300fps. I cut it back to 12.5gr using wolf standard LP primers. It penetrated almost as much as the 165gr. ranger did and expanded well. They'll shed their jackets too at too high of speed. Here's a pic of the mushroomed 165gr GS with 12gr of #7. I cut back a little more on the ranger though. You take these bullets any faster and most will shed jackets(the barnes and gold dot will fold pedals behind them). This is just a soaked newspaper test though. I just did it for fun, not to help me decide anything. I did want to see what the 140gr barnes bullet will do at 10mm velocity.(11.8gr #7) I tried to go a little over 12gr but I think it started compressing the long*** hollowpoint. 11.8gr is pretty accurate too and pretty expensive.

Last edited by Snapper2; 07-03-2010 at 18:01..
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 18:40   #6
texas 48
Gold Membership
Citizen
 
texas 48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Antonio, TEXAS
Posts: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper2 View Post
Tex I tried to keep it at around 1300fps. Accurate arms data for max of #7 is 12.7gr for over 1300fps. I cut it back to 12.5gr using wolf standard LP primers. It penetrated almost as much as the 165gr. ranger did and expanded well. They'll shed their jackets too at too high of speed. Here's a pic of the mushroomed 165gr GS with 12gr of #7. I cut back a little more on the ranger though.
Snapper
Thanks for the info. I measured
Some 155 XTP's on Friday 1335ft/sec avg std dev of 11.3 10 rounds using 10.2 Power Pistol CCI300 primers 1.255 OAL and these were accurate. With no pressure issues. There is room to go up a little so I reduced OAL to 1.252 and used CCI350 LPM and a tad more crimp. I am looking for 1350 ft/sec
Was unsure of expansion. With your info I will now be using them for carry.
__________________
THE HYPNOTIZED NEVER LIE
NRA Member
TSRA Member.
texas 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 19:07   #7
Snapper2
Senior Member
 
Snapper2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: s.east Texas
Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas 48 View Post
Snapper
Thanks for the info. I measured
Some 155 XTP's on Friday 1335ft/sec avg std dev of 11.3 10 rounds using 10.2 Power Pistol CCI300 primers 1.255 OAL and these were accurate. With no pressure issues. There is room to go up a little so I reduced OAL to 1.252 and used CCI350 LPM and a tad more crimp. I am looking for 1350 ft/sec
Was unsure of expansion. With your info I will now be using them for carry.
I loaded some(155gr) with powerpistol at 10gr. with Fed GM155M primers but havent shot them yet. From what I've been reading a magnum primer doesnt help powerpistol for some reason,velocity wise. But the accuracy and expansion of the #7 load did surprise me. The last time I tested XTP's (with powerpistol),I must have driven them too fast and they shed jackets but still penetrated alright. I believe they were 180gr though. Not that this is a bad thing.
Snapper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 23:39   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 2,993
Nice pictures. Thanks for posting them! It is always cool to see the business end of our efferts. Those Black Talons, errrr, Rangers always look mean in their full exansion - especially in 45 caliber.

Thought I'd jump in with some additional data points on the 155 gr XTP. Backing off a few tenths from Hornady max, Blue Dot pushed that projectile to 1400 fps with a CCI 300 primer. I don't have it in front of me, but the SD was low. Accuracy was fine too through a G20.

That was a cold weather test, so it would probably pick up few more fps at standard temps. I have not tested that particular projectile in any sort of media, but I suspect that jacket separation would be an issue at that velocity.
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:24.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 541
116 Members
425 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31