Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:32   #1
cgarrett

stuck cases

I have a question, I am always sticking case when I deprime .223. I lay the cases out on a towel and spray them with hornady one shot and start depriming. It never fails no matter what die I use( Lee or RBC) I am getting cases stuck all of the time it is so annoying. Can someone please help me with my stuck case in the die problem. It is only with .223 brass. I lube them with one shot. What else can I do to keep from getting them stuck. ARe there any dies that will not cause them to stick.

chris Garrett
cgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45   #2
ron59
Bustin Caps

Are you using carbide dies? My understanding is they are different (I dunno... slicker?) than the ones that aren't ? More expensive... but maybe worth it.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!

Last edited by ron59; 04-26-2010 at 11:45..
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:45   #3
alwaysshootin

Just throwing this out, have the right shell holder? Been loading for 20 years and never had a stuck case. Guess I'm lucky.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44   #4
RustyFN

Sounds like you are only lubing half the case. I put a bunch of 223 cases in a gallon Ziplok bag and give it a couple shots of one shot lube. Mix the brass around in the bag for a couple of minutes. Open the bag and give it another shot and mix for a minute. Then pour the cases out and let them dry for a couple of minutes and you are good to go. The one shot has to be shaken very good before you spray it or you will be spraying mostly alcohol and no lube. You also have to let them dry. I case that is still wet will stick. I use one shot all the time and don't stick any cases. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:58   #5
DoctaGlockta

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFN View Post
Sounds like you are only lubing half the case. I put a bunch of 223 cases in a gallon Ziplok bag and give it a couple shots of one shot lube. Mix the brass around in the bag for a couple of minutes. Open the bag and give it another shot and mix for a minute. Then pour the cases out and let them dry for a couple of minutes and you are good to go. The one shot has to be shaken very good before you spray it or you will be spraying mostly alcohol and no lube. You also have to let them dry. I case that is still wet will stick. I use one shot all the time and don't stick any cases. Hope this helps.
I would like to echo what Rusty said. I have only ever had problems with One shot when I didn't have the patience to wait a couple of minutes after lubing before loading them into the press.

- Barack Hussein Obama
DoctaGlockta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 13:02   #6
Lothar
Noob

Make sure you're hitting all sides!
Lothar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 13:47   #7
glocknick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyFN View Post
do you also use a neck brush to get lube inside the cases or does the lube get in there when you shake it in the bag?
glocknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 13:48   #8
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post

Are there sides to a circle?

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 14:20   #9
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post

Jack
Front side, back side.
GSSF Life Member
Old 04-26-2010, 15:56   #10
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctaGlockta View Post
I would like to echo what Rusty said. I have only ever had problems with One shot when I didn't have the patience to wait a couple of minutes after lubing before loading them into the press.
The lube MUST dry or they will stick. I only get about half the case on my 308 & have no trouble, but the lube has top be dry to the touch.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 16:14   #11
RustyFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocknick View Post
do you also use a neck brush to get lube inside the cases or does the lube get in there when you shake it in the bag?
No I don't use a neck brush. I don't know if lube is getting in the necks or not, I never worried about lubing the necks. If it is getting in from rolling around in the bag I wouldn't think it would be much.
Old 04-26-2010, 19:05   #12
RLDS45S

HOS is a POS product. The cause of a lot of stuck cases. Get yourself a tin of Imperial Die Wax. The only use for HOS is to put light coat of lube on cases right before you put them in your case feeder....Makes running a progressive a bit smoother....use some on a nylon brush to get inside the case neck. This will help decrease case stretching from going over the expander ball during resizing.....

Last edited by RLDS45S; 04-26-2010 at 19:06..
RLDS45S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:22   #13
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post

Jack
Inside, outside
dudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23   #14
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Are you using carbide dies? My understanding is they are different (I dunno... slicker?) than the ones that aren't ? More expensive... but maybe worth it.
Not too many carbide rifle dies out there. And even then lube is required for them.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:26   #15
dudel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothar View Post
\

With a good spray lube you don't need to. The alcohol base tends to migrate the lube around the case before it dries. The key is to wait for it to dry. Using too much lube causes it's own problems. I just give it a light spritz of the FA case lube, wait a few minutes, and it's good to go. Always have to resist the urge to give it more lube. Excess lube causes bumps in the case, takes longer to dry, more work to take off when you are done, and can get your dies all messy, which attracts dust when in storage.

Last edited by dudel; 04-27-2010 at 01:27..
Old 04-27-2010, 01:33   #16
KIDCOP
Rifle Master

HOS has been the cause of many stuck cases from what I've read. I use a lub pad with RCBS case lube 2 which wipes off with a damp rag. I would like to say I've never stuck a case but I did once. This was after sizing thousands of rifle cases, '06, 308, 30-30, 300 H&H, and 223.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:17   #17
Glocks&Ducs

I think it might also be counter productive to lube your cases on a towel.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:58   #18
Riflemanz

I only use one shot and have never stuck a case.Shake the can well before using.Put cases in a loading block and spray from all sides.Be liberal with the spray.
Old 04-27-2010, 20:36   #19
Bob2223
Jack's buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riflemanz View Post
I only use one shot and have never stuck a case.Shake the can well before using.Put cases in a loading block and spray from all sides.Be liberal with the spray.
Same here, I use HOS for 223 & 308 and never stuck a case.
I roll them in a tray and make sure I spray them all the way around and let them dry a couple minutes .

Bob
Back Yard Shooting Competition
Bob2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 23:52   #20
DssG19

+1 on imperial sizing wax. You will not have another stuck. I had at least 6 stuck cases using HOS. I retumble the brass after its completly processed.