Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-10-2002, 21:11   #1
Lew-G17

How To Get My Wife Involved?

I would appreciate the ladies comments on why they shoot and what got them started. My wife is a great shot with just about anything she shoots, but she just doesn't care for it as much as I do. I have learned to accept it, but would love to have here more involved with me.

Lew-G17
Lew-G17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 05:12   #2
ZackJones

What I do

Lew-G17: Just do what I do - walk into the kitchen, living room or whereever she may be at the time and tell her "B*tch, pack your stuff we're going shootin'"

Works for me.

Seriously, though, what got Donna started was taking the basic firearms saftey class at the range. Since someone else was showing her how to correct her stance, etc she didn't have any problems listening.

I think your best approach is to keep using the family range stuff you guys did with Trey the other weekend. Get everyone out and let them shoot what they want.

Zack

P.S. Before anyone flys off the handle regarding my first comment it is a joke. Lew-G17 is my brother and he knows that I wouldn't speak to my wife that way.
ZackJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:30   #3
ExxoticOne

Hi there. My first pistol was a G26. I wanted something "manageable" for concealed carry. Being new to guns, I wanted something user-friendly and simple. I've had it about 7 months now and I love shooting it - so much that I went out and ordered a G33 and a G36. I didn't buy a gun with the intent to shoot it on a regular basis (aside from the required practice). The gun was purchased so that I could protect myself from a very sick individual. I took my Concealed Carry course, Basic Firearms Traning, etc. My fiancee encouraged me to take some training classes and spend some time at the local range and gun shop (he does NOT shoot or own a gun) so that I can get a feel for things. The men at the gun range (not just the employees and owner) have been unbelievably cool with regard to answering all my questions, letting me shoot all different types of guns (Kimbers, Sigs, a shotgun - Mossberg?, some rifles), reinforcing proper technique, etc. Well, for some reason all this stuff just appealed to me and I have a lot of fun shooting...the people I've met are very nice and I'm a pretty good shot. Eventually I'll try that IDPA thing out. I really didn't think I'd enjoy shooting so much.

Anyways, you mentioned that your wife is a pretty good shot and that she just doesn't seem to care for it as much as you do - maybe you guys just need some variety...if you always go to an indoor range, try and find an outdoor one. If she's bored with pistols, try rifles. Mix it up a little bit, maybe once she finds something she "loves" she'll be more inclined to play! Encourage the ladies to go out shooting on their own or maybe have "range day" once a month. How bout giving her a gift certificate to a training course?