GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2013, 19:33   #1
domin8ss

G30S. What's the big deal causing the high prices?

I thought this was just a G30SF with a G36 slide assembly. I only see 1 of them listed on Gun Broker at any given time. They are going for $750+ each.

Here's a listing that I just lost out on in the final 5 minutes: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=340075235
domin8ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:44   #2
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

In my opinion, it's all marketing/hype. Why a G30S when one of the 45GAP pistols should fill all the needs/voids in carry size vs. power? What Glock chooses to market defies common sense...

A year before Walther came out with the PPS, I spoke with leadership at Glock US about making a slim-frame (side-to-side, not front to back) version of the G26 for pocket-carry and as an onion field gun for LE. Deaf ears is what I got. Now Ruger, Walther, and others have filled that market...

Another easy/no-brainer: Make a G20 long slide. Glock already makes all the internal parts AS WELL AS THE BARREL already. Literally, they'd just have to make a 17L-version of the G20 slide. ONE new part, which would not be technologically challenging to produce for them. Did they? (Nope.)

Instead they make this G30S, which is an answer in search of a question. Besides the long-slides, virtually every model Glock makes is in that G30 to G26 size range, including all the -19 size models. This model is much a-do about nothing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:52   #3
cbird77

I let my 30s go back to the LGS, it was a pain to field strip (spring catching the frame) and it just did'nt feel solid. I ended up getting my second choice the XDm 3.8 45 and love it plus it comes with the goodies I would have to add to the 30s (21 mag / spacer).
I had a line behind me drooling over my shoulder wanting it as soon as they checked it back in to the system. Plus the gun, mags, and crap where thrown in the box (no egg shell) causing a few scratches (I know, diff thread).

I am done with Glock until thier QC comes back up to where it used to be.

edit: I must be honest and say my 27 is my choice in the house right now, I just love it!!!

Last edited by cbird77; 05-08-2013 at 10:55..
cbird77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55   #4
domin8ss

I have a 21C that I use to cc when I was in Virginia, but I've lost some weight (10% body weight) since moving to Illinois. I also have a job that requires my shirt to be tucked in now. I have plenty of magazines, but doubt I'd use them in the 30S if I got it. I already have a 36 sitting at a FFL in Utah waiting for me to go home next month and pick it up. I want the 36 to be my backup while the 30S would be my primary. The prices right now are ridiculously high. Downside of GunBroker is also its upside, depending on political environment -- supply and demand. I may just suck it up and pay to play.

Last edited by domin8ss; 05-14-2013 at 10:41..
Old 05-13-2013, 09:19   #5
LSP972

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMineA10mm View Post
G30S, which is an answer in search of a question.
Actually, it is the answer to a request from a major municipal PD special unit; no "marketing hype" about it at all.

"The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else... isn't."
-pangris
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 20:57   #6
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
Actually, it is the answer to a request from a major municipal PD special unit; no "marketing hype" about it at all.

Well, the marketing hype has happened now, because Glock is trying to make the model/design profitable. The 30s is an answer in search of a question. It's not different enough from either of its progenitors to make it meaningful.

Glock does product development strangely, and chasing a purchase by this large dept., which either didn't happen, or wasn't a big enough buy to recover costs, is a good example. So now follows the marketing hype to sell enough numbers to make it the project not a financial loss...

Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:11   #7
Kichigai
気違い Was Mr30s

Its because they are new and in limited supply. So if ya want one ya probably going to need to pay for it. Prices on almost all glocks are way up in south florida because they are hard to get.
Kichigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:46   #8
Justin1911

Quote:
Well, the marketing hype has happened now, because Glock is trying to make the model/design profitable. The 30s is an answer in search of a question. It's not different enough from either of its progenitors to make it meaningful.

Glock does product development strangely, and chasing a purchase by this large dept., which either didn't happen, or wasn't a big enough buy to recover costs, is a good example. So now follows the marketing hype to sell enough numbers to make it the project not a financial loss...
I'd have to disagree with part of that. The question is how can I get a lighter weight 30? GSSF shooters have seen the advantage of a light weight slide by using a 36 slide on a 30 for years. From my perspective it functions better with low power reloads, lighter to carry, lower felt recoil due to less slide mass to name a few.

But yes other than the slide its really nothing new to offer than current products. To me and most people IMHO who pick up a 30 and 30s the 30s just "feels" better.

Last edited by Justin1911; 05-17-2013 at 05:50..
Justin1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18   #9
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1911 View Post
I'd have to disagree with part of that. The question is how can I get a lighter weight 30? GSSF shooters have seen the advantage of a light weight slide by using a 36 slide on a 30 for years. From my perspective it functions better with low power reloads, lighter to carry, lower felt recoil due to less slide mass to name a few.

But yes other than the slide its really nothing new to offer than current products. To me and most people IMHO who pick up a 30 and 30s the 30s just "feels" better.
OK, I agree that's true, but it's still backwards product development, and it's a very small niche between the 30 & 36. If the 30 is too heavy, why not go with the 36? If the 36 holds too few bullets, why not go with a 45 GAP model which fits the desired size-vs-firepower aspect?

Also, you are only experiencing lower recoil from the lighter slide mass because you are shooting those light reloads you mention. Put some 230s or even 185 +Ps in there, and it will kick worse, not less.

I don't see the 30S as being a huge seller from the "this is a Glock in a whole 'nuther league"; whereas, if Glock would put some energy towards a slim-line (pocket-size) version of the G26, they'd really have something with sales (based on numbers of PPS, LC9, Kahr, etc. being sold) and in a fresh area they haven't broke into (pocket/onion field/deep concealment). (In other words, for every G30S they sell, they've lost a sale on a G30, G36, or G38/39. -- Glock isn't taking sales away from HK, Sig, or S&W with the 30S...)

I also suggested to them awhile back to make a G34-size version of the G36 and set it up for competition from the outset. Glock does not have a large-frame (10mm/45) competition gun, so anyone who wants to shoot major is avoiding Glock. (G35s basically recoil too much, so speed & accuracy beat making major on 2 identical guns. Hence why 34s are used more in competition.)

There's three projects (including the G20 Longslide I mentioned in an earlier post), which would sell well, have low development costs (maybe not the micro-9), and nothing from Glock... I would say they must make enough money on what they already produce, but then they come up with stuff like the 30S...

Last edited by MakeMineA10mm; 05-17-2013 at 11:31..
Old 05-17-2013, 12:10   #10
LSP972

Quote:
Well, the marketing hype has happened now, because Glock is trying to make the model/design profitable. ...
Well, duh... welcome to Business 101.

While I'll agree that Glock continues to miss the boat via their lack of a slim-line 9mm, I took your statement re "answer in search of a question" to mean that you think Glock simply pulled the 30S out of their collective ass. Not so.

Do you even know WHAT agency I was talking about????

"The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else... isn't."
-pangris
LSP972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 13:09   #11
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
Well, duh... welcome to Business 101.

While I'll agree that Glock continues to miss the boat via their lack of a slim-line 9mm, I took your statement re "answer in search of a question" to mean that you think Glock simply pulled the 30S out of their collective ass. Not so.

Do you even know WHAT agency I was talking about????

See my note above re: every 30S costs Glock a sale of a 30, 36, or 38/39, and does not get them more market share from a competitor.

I do not know, but even if it was NYPD, it doesn't make sense for Glock to try and stir up a civilian market for it. See my paragraph above and the more detailed version in the prior post.

G20L and a G36T/P would be just as easy to produce, have a simular-size market (though not a big PD order up front), and actually expand the scope of the product line. Spend bigger money & effort for the Pocket9 and there'd be huge sales (compared to 30S, 20L, or 36T/P) and the company would be even better positioned than now. And then there's the Glock Carbine.... :D

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Old 05-18-2013, 13:10   #12
unclebob

Itís very simple. The Los Angeles Special Investigation Section. Wanted the G30 with the G36 slide but they did not want to buy two guns to make one for their backup gun to the G21. The G30 has a higher magazine capacity than the G36, plus you can use the G21 mags in the G30S if the need should arise.
I know this setup has been used by people that shoot GSSF for 3 years or more. There is no new tooling other than instead of stamping G36 they just stamp G30S.
There was a need for this type of gun so why not go in production of such gun. When it is so simple to do.
It makes no since to carry two different guns that do not use the same caliber ammo or can use the same magazine.
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-18-2013, 14:33   #13
Tailhunter
Glockman

Glock has nothing left. So now they are taking a part from one gun and adding it to another? WOW!

Being the first person to own one is important to some people .... the old adage, "a fool and his money" .....

I am not a sheep . . . I am neither weak nor afraid. If you try to harm me the consequences of those actions rest solely on your shoulders. -TH
NEVER get involved, hide and shake or piss and run. -Gen. Consensus
Tailhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 14:52   #14
cfrye11

Tell me again how glock controls prices on gun broker ?

I think prices are high because its the newest gun glock makes. If I saw one for 750 out the door it would be in my safe.

molan labe
cfrye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 16:25   #15
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailhunter View Post
Glock has nothing left. So now they are taking a part from one gun and adding it to another? WOW!

Being the first person to own one is important to some people .... the old adage, "a fool and his money" .....

What part of a police department wanting a G30 with a G36 don't you understand. If they didn't want that combo It probably would have not been made by Glock. The people that wanted that combo would still be buy a G30 and G36 and swaping the slide. So now you only need to buy one gun instead of two. if you should want that combo. And there are people that do.
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-18-2013, 19:42   #16
djegators

I happen to think the 30S is a great option. I was skeptical when I reviewed it at SHOT, after test firing, and reviewing the media package, I was intrigued. I have recently added one to the stable, and now that I have it in my hands, and I am able to compare to other Glocks, I see it as a quite viable carry option. In my opinion, the 30 was too chunky for ccw in light clothing. That was I traded mine off, and moved to a 19 and now a 26, which I consider to be ideal for me. But now that I have the 30S, and I can see that is as concealable as the 19, perhaps even a tad smaller in some respects, I see why LAPD wanted it.

And fwiw, I think there was a bit more to Glock's production of this than simply slapping a G36 slide on a 30SF frame, although that is no doubtedly the genesis of the concept.

SHOT 2013:
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 19:43   #17
djegators

PS: I didn't pay any crazy prices either, found it online at a fairly reasonable price. I remember when the 30 first came out, took a while to find one of them too.

SHOT 2013:
djegators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 21:00   #18
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by djegators View Post
And fwiw, I think there was a bit more to Glock's production of this than simply slapping a G36 slide on a 30SF frame, although that is no doubtedly the genesis of the concept.
Like I said before people were putting the 36 slide on a G30 frame about 3 years ago. A long time before the LAPD wanting Glock to make it. No making or changing of any parts needed.
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-19-2013, 05:49   #19
myglockisa23

I purchased one for $450 and let it go when I was offered $700....replaced it with a $425 G19..... I'm much faster with the 2nd and 3rd shots with the G19.. and the ammo is cheaper too.....
Old 05-19-2013, 08:36   #20
domin8ss

Well, I just ordered one for $569. I'll pick it up from my FFL when I'm back home in 2 weeks.