Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:45   #1
Snafu

Remington factory folder question

I thought of this after reading another post on the old school Remington top folder.

Who has one and how well do they work? Easy to manipulate? Increase perceived recoil at all? Generally, how do you like it compared to the typical fixed stock?

I have thought of getting one merely for the ease of carry/transport in some situations and often wondered if they would be worth the expense or not.
Snafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:51   #2
22highcaps

I have one. It is very well made (certainly much more solid than that crappy ATI alternative). The recoil is not as bad as you would think. It will wear on your chin if you try to hold any kind of solid cheek weld. I one of those elastic shell holders on the stock to mitigate this.

My biggest issues is that the LOP is too long for comfort.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:08   #3
Snafu

Thanks for the response. I have also wondered about the LOP and whether it would be too long.

Maybe I'll just keep my money and worry about other stuff.
Old 05-07-2010, 16:17   #4
stiletto raggio

Not that you asked, but I really prefer the Choate topfolder. It is a heck of a lot lighter and the butt is more comfortable, IMO.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” -John 15:13

"Here's the truth, which you know in your heads and hearts already: Ineffective, unfocused violence leads to more violence. Limp, panicky, half-measures lead to more violence. However, complete, fully-thought-through, professional, well-executed violence never leads to more violence because, you see, afterwards, the other guys are all dead." –Larry Miller
stiletto raggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 19:40   #5
Snafu

Thanks for the additional response, stiletto. I had not thought of the Choate version and am now considering it. Have any pictures of your gun with it mounted?

(just got back from vacation and saw this)
Old 05-20-2010, 11:12   #6
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Have used them. Ouch.

I prefer, if going with a folder if absolutely necessary, either Choate or Butler Creek.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 13:31   #7
Sgt127

I have one. Had it new since...jeeeez...1977 or so. Its a double edged sword. (triple edged?) Its exceptionally well made. Very solid lock up. There was always a belief that the stock had a little "spring" to it that would dampen recoil some. I dunno about that. When the stock is folded, the spring in the buttplate makes a perfect square that you can line up with the front bead as a crude sight.

And, the trick is to put SOMETHING across the top edge. I used some rubber boat decking material. It will knock you silly if you try for a good cheek weld.
Sgt127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 13:29   #8
David Armstrong

Quote:
....and often wondered if they would be worth the expense or not.
IMO, no. They aren't comfortable to shoot, so most don't get much practice with them, they require you to use a pistol grip, they limit some of the alternative H2H techniques, and so on. they are fine if you really have a need, but most folks really don't need them.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 16:07   #9
crazeeman13

I would be more than happy to buy one of the stocks from someone that hates their LE only stock. Seriously send me an email or an im. Thanx
crazeeman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 17:16   #10
aippi

ATI is never an alternative for any of my weapons as I found two folders that work great for what they are. Not that the word "great" can be used in the same sentence as the words "folding stock". One is the Butler Creek side folder that Remington featured a few years back on their Special Dealer runs and the other is the SpecOps folder. The SpecOps Cop stock was good for what it was.

You guys brought up a great point about LOP and I am amazed that no one, that I know off has come out with a servicable folder with a 13" LOP that feels and shoots like a fixed stock when not in the folded position. Anyone out there want to make some money? break out the CAD program and get to work. I will take the first one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 05-22-2010 at 17:18.. Reason: spelling
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 16:29   #11
babarracing

Old School Rem 870 top folder:

Mine does one thing and one thing only; very well fits in a vehicle while riding shotgun and can be easily deployed while sitting in vehicle if need be.
But getting 6 rounds (3") into the tube is like mission impossible.

I have a question maybe someone could help with My top folder is nice high luster (my description) but the entire gun otherwise is Parkerized. when did they i.e. circa what years make a parkerized police magnum. I'm pretty sure the O.E.M. top folder was an add on by someone. it is used gun. how do I use the gun's serial number to research year of manufacture.
babarracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 16:48   #12
22highcaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post

You guys brought up a great point about LOP and I am amazed that no one, that I know off has come out with a servicable folder with a 13" LOP that feels and shoots like a fixed stock when not in the folded position. Anyone out there want to make some money? break out the CAD program and get to work. I will take the first one.

I will take the second one.

There is a guy on another forum who cut down and modded a factory folder for a shorter LOP but that is beyond my metal working skills.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote