Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2010, 16:57   #1
PghJim

357 Sig Ranger T - Effective?

I came into the ownership of five new boxes of Ranger T 125gr 357 sig ammo and have been trying to find some information if an agency or police group use it and found it to be effective, meaning they are very happy with its performance in actual shootings. There is infomation out there that both Virginia and Texas state police are very pleased with the performance of 54234 Gold Dot 357 sig ammo in shootings that have occurred, but I have been unable to find anything on the Ranger T 357 sig. The 1,340 fps velocity does not seem that fast, but may not really be an indication of the rounds effectiveness.

If you know anything, I would be greatly appreciative. - Jim
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 17:25   #2
triggerjerk

Have you tried looking at the le gel tests?
http://le.atk.com/general/irl/woundballistics.aspx
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 17:45   #3
ABNAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post
Wow, see how much the Gold Dot lost in expansion after heavy clothing? Almost .15"! Granted, the SXT lost some but not as much (and was larger in bare gelatin to begin with).

11C2P '83-'87
ABNAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:02   #4
PghJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjerk View Post

Thanks, I have seen most of those. I am wondering if anyone is using it and what is their experience.
Old 05-01-2010, 18:11   #5
N/Apower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
Wow, see how much the Gold Dot lost in expansion after heavy clothing? Almost .15"! Granted, the SXT lost some but not as much (and was larger in bare gelatin to begin with).
Even scarier than that is the Ranger T penetrating so shallow. Who wears 4 layers of denim? Either way, I would much rather have a little less expansion than an FBI/Miami scenario. Gold Dot has been VERY effective in this caliber in the real world.

If you just want expansion, buy 9mm 147gr HST. If you want to take full advantage of the extra velocity/penetration of the 357SIG, then get a bonded round. Otherwise it's just a waste of capacity and controllability.

Last edited by N/Apower; 05-01-2010 at 18:12..
N/Apower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:13   #6
N/Apower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
Thanks, I have seen most of those. I am wondering if anyone is using it and what is their experience.
I am unaware of any agencies that use it, I am sure they exist, but I don't personally know of any. Let us know what you find if you dig further.
Old 05-01-2010, 18:43   #7
DRT

I believe the USSS uses it (or did at one time).
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 18:47   #8
N/Apower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
No, Gold Dot, product# 53918.
Old 05-01-2010, 19:04   #9
PghJim

Quote:
They did at one time. In fact the Ranger T was develpoded for a larger procurement by USSS. I did not know what they us now and I am a little surprised at the LP Gold Dot.
Old 05-01-2010, 19:07   #10
PghJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/Apower View Post
No, Gold Dot, product# 53918.
Please do not take this as an insult, but do you know that for a fact. The reason I said that was that a family member left the SS a couple of years ago and he told me at the time they were using the Ranger T. Due to the company around, I did not talk much about it and I am trying to locate him now.
Old 05-01-2010, 20:01   #11
glocksterr
DirtyGlockHippy

i may be wrong but i think i remember hearing it was used with great success in NC.
glocksterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 21:06   #12
N/Apower

Quote:
Please do not take this as an insult, but do you know that for a fact. The reason I said that was that a family member left the SS a couple of years ago and he told me at the time they were using the Ranger T. Due to the company around, I did not talk much about it and I am trying to locate him now.
Caliber Corner
Old 05-01-2010, 21:41   #13
PghJim

Quote:
Caliber Corner
I am not sure what you are telling me. Was this an FBI test done for the USSS? I cannot read it all, but I am not questioning whether Gold Dots are good, I have been carrying them for the past years. Not much other choice early on anyway.

Winchester spent over one million dollars developing the Ranger T 357 sig round and their first big customer was the USSS. They do not exactly start from scratch and they would have had access to all of standard FBI methodology they wanted. Gold Dot's were out then so they knew where they stood with regard to penetration and expansion with the other bullets. Winchester designed this bullet to perform the way it does on purpose and that causes me to wonder why. The only way I am going to get that question answered is to hear about the experience with a somewhat large group that had somewhat frequent street shootings.

I enlaged it and see that it was an FBI test for USSS in 2001. If I remember correctly USSS signed a contract with Winchester for 1.6 million Ranger T rounds about that time or shortly before then. They may have used the Gold Dot, but I also know they used the Ranger. Do you have anything more recent then a ten year old test. It really does not matter in this quest usless they used the round and there is a published opinion of it's effectiveness.

Last edited by PghJim; 05-01-2010 at 21:52..
Old 05-01-2010, 21:49   #14
N/Apower

Quote:
I am not sure what you are telling me. Was this an FBI test done for the USSS? I cannot read it all, but I am not questioning whether Gold Dots are good, I have been carrying them for the past years. Not much other choice early on anyway.

Winchester spent over one million dollars developing the Ranger T 357 sig round and their first big customer was the USSS. They do not exactly start from scratch and they would have had access to all of standard FBI methodology they wanted. Gold Dot's were out then so they knew where they stood with regard to penetration and expansion with the other bullets. Winchester designed this bullet to perform the way it does on purpose and that causes me to wonder why. The only way I am going to get that question answered is to hear about the experience with a somewhat large group that had somewhat frequent street shootings
I'm sorry for the crappy quality, but you can make out on the "Notes" section that it says "Secret Service Round". It's blurry, yes, but it is there.
Old 05-01-2010, 21:49   #15
DRT

Quote:
They did at one time. In fact the Ranger T was develpoded for a larger procurement by USSS. I did not know what they us now and I am a little surprised at the LP Gold Dot.

They probably had to change to a more humane round once obama got in office. j/k
Old 05-01-2010, 21:54   #16
N/Apower

Quote:
They probably had to change to a more humane round once obama got in office. j/k
Lol, they have used the Gold Dot for years. Note the "2001" date on that report I linked that denotes the USSS round as 53918.

Last edited by N/Apower; 05-01-2010 at 21:57..
Old 05-01-2010, 21:55   #17
PghJim

Quote:
I'm sorry for the crappy quality, but you can make out on the "Notes" section that it says "Secret Service Round". It's blurry, yes, but it is there.
I was editing while you were posting, see the bottom of my above post.
Old 05-01-2010, 21:59   #18
PghJim

When you enlarge it, the performance does not look that great. Yes there is some penetration, but very little expansion. I am not sure I would carry the round with that little expansion. Even on Bare Gel. 0.64, much smaller in everything else.
Old 05-01-2010, 22:05   #19
N/Apower

Quote:
I was editing while you were posting, see the bottom of my above post.
E-mail Hal Price of ATK and word your e-mail intelligently and you should get an answer within 24 hours. That is the best I can do there. However, everyone I know (Dr. Roberts, Todd Green, etc.) claim the USSS is using the 53918.
Old 05-01-2010, 22:10   #20
DRT

I believe they used .357 Ranger T at one time. Read it in an article by Mas Ayoob a few years back. I think I've seen it referenced else where. Googled it.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...82551648/pg_2/

Last edited by DRT; 05-01-2010 at 22:12..