SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-02-2010, 19:43   #1
Airtechjr
AirTech Jr

G17 Gen 1 KB

Took my 82 year old Mom to the range. Had a great time until it went KB!
Look at the picture and tell me what you think.

Thanks,

George

BTW, Clean gun, reloads, low power, maybe just not in battery?

http://i781.photobucket.com/albums/y...ck17Gen1KB.jpg
Airtechjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 19:52   #2
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Wow! I hope your Mom is alright? The case look pretty good for a blown out head, I assume the damage was minor and only blew out the magazine? I bet Moms trigger finger got slapped hard. I hope the pressure did not break the skin of her finger?

That round looks like factory fresh ammo? I do not see vertical lines so I am guessing it is not a reload. The manufacture should cover any damage to the gun so I wouldn’t be worried about that.

I can tell you a 9mm KB is pretty rare. I hope this "bad day at the range" does not stop your Mom from shooting again?
Old 05-02-2010, 20:03   #3
Airtechjr
AirTech Jr

You are right all around. Her finger is black and blue. I was so scared and felt so bad.

As for the gun, I hate to send it back to Glock because it is an ES Gen 1. I have owned it since about 87. Just a small crack in the frame. Maybe just retire it and go Gen 4.

She wants to get an LCR now. Can't blame her I guess. She is a trooper, she still wanted to shoot, go figure.

Thanks for the reply.

George

P.S. Could my LoneWolff barrel have helped in this situation? I was using my original.
Old 05-02-2010, 20:20   #4
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
Glock Inc will rebuild the gun, no problem. If the cartridge was a reload they will most likely charge for the repair but send it off anyway so you can get a clean bill of health from them.

This KB could have happened to most any auto pistol. Assure your Mom she has less to fear when shooting a current issue Glock (3rd gen or newer).

Yes the 1st gen factory barrel contributed to the problem because of the unsupported area HOWEVER..... you need to also factor in the possibility of a weak head caused by case budge being fired in a early Glock barrel........ limp wristing contributing to a failure to return to battery (partial open breach)........ also consider a low powered round detonating....... Several issues could have come into play on this one.

Yah sure, a LWD barrel could have saved the day on this one but I wouldn’t bet the farm on it either. Sometimes the planets align and things are simply stacked against you.
Old 05-02-2010, 22:50   #5
Airtechjr
AirTech Jr

Took a lok at the ammo in the mag. It was factory. I will take your advice and send it to Glock. Thanks.

George