Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 22:51   #1
G19T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 203
Ruger MkIII problems

Yes i know there are many threads adressing mkiii problems and yes i did search through them but none of them seemed to have the same problem i am having.

Today i purchased a new ruger mkiii target. When i got home i field striped it to get an idea of how the gun works then i put it back together. First the main spring housing would not close but it finally did and then the bolt wouldnt cycle all the way it would only open up maybe half way. I restriped it and put it back together following ruger's directions and all the youtube videos i could find. Now not only will the bolt not cycle fully but the mainspring wont come out either. I have tried it with a mag in and a mag out i have tried pulling the trigger to get the hammer to move and nothing happens. Any ideas? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Also i know im not the strongest person but the main spring wont even come out if i try to pry it with a screw driver.
__________________
G19 - 2nd gen
Ruger MkIII Target 678

NRA Member
G19T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 23:39   #2
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*
 
Glock 17L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 3,014
Post this over @ guntalk-online
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/
Also Go to the rimfire handgun area & read away @ MKIII Troubles..
I've heard of this happening before but have never had this problem with any of the half dozen MKIIs I've owned..
I think you'll find your hammer strut is not in the mainspring correctly..
IIRC I've read were some folks had to remove the grips & drive out the sear pin in order to resolve some assembly problems.. You may also be able to manipulate the sear and/or hammer threw the slots on either side of the gun under the grips, use the propper screw driver as not to ruin the screws..
When assembling the mainspring back into the gun you have to make sure the gun is not cocked, hammer forward & that the hammer strut is aligned so it can drop into the mainspring as you swivel it up into place by turning the pistol upside down barrel up while assembling..
Good Luck & Don't let this get you all flustered..
I have a buddy with three MKIIs & always am the one who takes them apart & cleans them & re-assembles them for him..
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01   #3
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*
 
Glock 17L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 3,014
I looked threw the Ruger forum & the answer may be that the hammer needs to go forward & with the MKIII you would need to install an "empty magazine" & pull the trigger the smack the tip of the barrel hard on say a phone book to allow inertia to make the hammer go forward..
Then try opening the latch again & watch the tip of the hammer strut & use the technique I mentioned in the above post to make sure it goes into the mainspring housing..
If you feel tension just as the mainspring housing reaches flush it's correct, then push it flush & then through the latch, pull the bolt back & test for function..
Good Luck!!
Gary
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03   #4
G19T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG P229 View Post
Post this over @ guntalk-online
http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/
Also Go to the rimfire handgun area & read away @ MKIII Troubles..
I've heard of this happening before but have never had this problem with any of the half dozen MKIIs I've owned..
I think you'll find your hammer strut is not in the mainspring correctly..
IIRC I've read were some folks had to remove the grips & drive out the sear pin in order to resolve some assembly problems.. You may also be able to manipulate the sear and/or hammer threw the slots on either side of the gun under the grips, use the propper screw driver as not to ruin the screws..
When assembling the mainspring back into the gun you have to make sure the gun is not cocked, hammer forward & that the hammer strut is aligned so it can drop into the mainspring as you swivel it up into place by turning the pistol upside down barrel up while assembling..
Good Luck & Don't let this get you all flustered..
I have a buddy with three MKIIs & always am the one who takes them apart & cleans them & re-assembles them for him..
Thanks. Had to pull the sear pin and was finally able to get it out. Of course with a whole lot of work.

I have a cousin out your way. Next time I head out there i'll have to swing by and learn a thing or two.
__________________
G19 - 2nd gen
Ruger MkIII Target 678

NRA Member
G19T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:08   #5
G19T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG P229 View Post
I looked threw the Ruger forum & the answer may be that the hammer needs to go forward & with the MKIII you would need to install an "empty magazine" & pull the trigger the smack the tip of the barrel hard on say a phone book to allow inertia to make the hammer go forward..
Then try opening the latch again & watch the tip of the hammer strut & use the technique I mentioned in the above post to make sure it goes into the mainspring housing..
If you feel tension just as the mainspring housing reaches flush it's correct, then push it flush & then through the latch, pull the bolt back & test for function..
Good Luck!!
Gary
I got it all back together and now the main spring is stopping about 3/8" out and i dont think the hammer strut is falling into the housing. The marks on the ramp that lead to it stop about 1/16" - 1/32" before the ramp actually ends. No matter what i try it wont drop into the housing.

By the way thanks for all the help.
__________________
G19 - 2nd gen
Ruger MkIII Target 678

NRA Member
G19T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:08   #6
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*
 
Glock 17L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 3,014
Sure no problem..
Come next Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot!!

Make sure you have the hammer forward & that the hammer strut goes back in correctly & you'll never have to do it that way again..
Sounds like your the master of them now..

Here's a link to the full detail strip page for the MKIII
http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm
Also here is the field strip page
http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

Look at the reassembly at the lower part of that page..
Sounds like your problem..
Gary Headknocker940@Yahoo.Com
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Glock 17L; 05-04-2010 at 01:18..
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:52   #7
G19T
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIG P229 View Post
Sure no problem..
Come next Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot!!

Make sure you have the hammer forward & that the hammer strut goes back in correctly & you'll never have to do it that way again..
Sounds like your the master of them now..

Here's a link to the full detail strip page for the MKIII
http://www.guntalk-online.com/detailstrip.htm
Also here is the field strip page
http://www.guntalk-online.com/fsprocedures.htm

Look at the reassembly at the lower part of that page..
Sounds like your problem..
Gary Headknocker940@Yahoo.Com
The next shoot is the second weekend of october right?

Also i got everything back together and functioning again thank you so much. Ended up having to put the main spring pin in without snapping it in the rest of the way then working the bolt then pulling the trigger to get the hammer to sit just right. Then and only then was i able to get everything to snap back together properly.

Thanks again for everything and ill make sure to shoot you an email next time something goes wrong.
__________________
G19 - 2nd gen
Ruger MkIII Target 678

NRA Member
G19T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:14   #8
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*
 
Glock 17L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisville Kentucky
Posts: 3,014
Your Welcome!!
Glad you got it fixed, most newer pistols that mainspring fits super tight & can be a pain to get it back in, I have a 1986 MKII were it fit so tight I gotta rap it back in with a small shot hammer, 24 years old & like new except for the Volquatzen Inerds & Hogue grips, Picked it up January 1st this year, First gun of the year & decade..
(Change your Signature)
Yeah the KCR Shoot is twice a year & worth coming too if you live within a couple hundred miles..It starts on a Friday & Runs threw Sunday!!
knobcreekrange.com/machine_gun_shoot

1986 Ruger MKII Target
Rimfire Forum
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 14:35.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,081
308 Members
773 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31