Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2010, 18:32   #1
Brent10mm

.17 HMR... Savage or Marlin?

Although I don't really need one, I'm thinking about adding it to the collection.
A friend has the savage 17 hmr, basic blued, no accutrigger... and I really like the little caliber for some stupid reason. just a great truck gun.

I have had in the past, a .22 magnum heavy blued Savage, and it was a shooter. They only thing I did not care for was the magazines... P.I.A.
I handled the Marlin version yesterday, and the mag. design was much better... but the trigger was terribly heavy...

I know both are pretty accurate guns, maybe edge to the savage, but I'm kinda stuck...

-get a savage and deal with the mags, but have a great trigger
or
- get the marlin, have good mags, and shell out extra for a trigger job, or drop in...

I'm leaning to the heavy SS synthetic stock version of either. if that matters?
Any of those sweet 17 scopes, with bullet comp worth a damn btw...?
or just get good reputable glass...?
When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints.
Brent10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 20:12   #2
rscottk90

Id get the savage, i love the 22lr with the accutrigger. I dont think the mags are tht bad...
as far as glass http://www.muelleroptics.com/ havnt gotten a peice from them yet but my 204 im getting next week is gonna get a mueller. ive herd lots of great things and they have great prices. Compare their same size and power scopes to others and theres a price difference.
rscottk90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 21:07   #3
Glocks&Ducs

Unless you are shooting out past 150 yards all the time, the Sweet 17 scopes are a waste of money. The bullet compensation doesn't kick in until that point.

I went with a Marlin myself. It just seemed a bit more refined than the Savage's I was looking at.

Keep in mind that ammo prices can be quite high for a 17HMR. When it first came out, ammo was about $6.50 to $9 a box of 50 rounds. When I was looking for this last 17HMR, I noticed ammo was about $12 a box at most places and as high $17 for the same stuff. Luckily, my go to dealer came through with a case that worked out to about $10 per box.
Glocks&Ducs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 22:07   #4
2FNSLO

I have the Savage. A little polishing on the mags fixed a lot of the problems for me. Clip a coil off the trigger spring and a good trigger gets even better. I have a Simmons pro hunter 6x18 scope on mine and it works pretty well. I also like the Mueller that's on my Savage in .308 though. For low cost scopes, I think the Mueller is a very good value. Most of the folks on RFC speak very highly of they as well.
2FNSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:26   #5
vafish

When I bought my .17 HMR it was the newest hottest thing in gun sales. I really wanted the Marlin but my dealer couldn't get through Marlin's preference system to get one, unless I wanted to order a couple of lever action center fire guns at the same time.

But he could get the Savage 93R17FV in. This was pre acutrigger so I have the crummy mags and the crummy trigger. I also had to bed the action to get rid of some vertical stringing in my groups.

But now I love the rifle. Great accuracy, consistently shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

For a $179 rifle with a $39.95 Tasco 6-24x scope it is a accuracy bargain.

Rimfire Forum

But, the new Marlin's have an improved trigger.
educate children." -- Confucius

Last edited by vafish; 04-28-2010 at 06:26..
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 20:43   #6
sharpshooter

I have a Marlin and a Savage. Both have heavy blued barrels. Both are built like sturdy toys with metalwork and a feel that leaves a little to be desired, which is expected for the price.

Savage- The AccuTrigger is great, but the plastic trigger guard is lame. The magazines feel flimbsy but they work fine. Reciever is drilled n tapped for scope bases.

Marlin- I replaced the trigger with a RifleBasix and it's as good or a little better than the AccuTrigger. There are no plastic parts. Reciever has a dovetail milled for scope bases.

Both are exeptionally accurate. Which do I prefer? I guess the Marlin but only because it has nicer wood.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:11   #7
salvo
Pass the ammo

I went with the Marlin/RifleBasix, very accurate rifle!
-- Ronald Reagan
salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:13   #8
Smitty908

This Savage .17 HMR of my wife's is definately a shooter.

Another +1 for Mueller, by the way.

Rimfire Forum

Rimfire Forum

-Tim S.
Smitty908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 21:58   #9
GlockPride
Glock 23

I'm a Savage fan myself. The accutrigger is hard to beat.
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 23:18   #10
Another Miller
prankster

I have a savage mako in 17hmr.My 12 yr old son tried it out,works for him too.It is very light and easy to carry back into the fields.

This rifle shoulda came out a long time ago,Beat my Ruger 22 mag hands down. its absolutely a tack driver.
Another Miller is offline   Reply With Quote