SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2010, 13:41   #1
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Trip to Ft. Worth Cabelas.

Greetings from sunny and warm Ft. Worth, land of Billy Bob's Honky Tonk and Fresh Meat Market, rattlesnakes and diarrhea inducing Mexican food. Based on the fact that it snowed again at my house yesterday I love being down here. The only down side is that the entire area is infested with Texans... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of them which really surprises me since I thought they had all already moved to the great state of Colorado.

Spent an hour of so yesterday at the Cabelas of I-35. A beautiful store to say the least with a very large gun and reloading department. Whenever I'm in town I make it a point of dropping by... there's always something to buy.

Went specifically this time to look for a holster for the new Kimber and check out primer availability. In the past I have always been able to pick up a brick off CCI SPP for $31 and change. Usually they have a one brick limit but the last two trips I was able to get 2K once and 3K once.

Normally they keep open bricks of primers behind the counter in the gun department and if you want a complete brick, or more they go in the back store room to retrieve them. Much to my surprise this time they had a large glassed in display case set up in the middle of the reloading isles filled with primers... mostly CCI and Magtech but of every size and description, including bench rest, match, shotgun and 50 BMG.

Having the eyesight approaching that of Mr. Magoo I had to actually kneel on the floor to read the price tags but thought the dangerous act had been well worth it when I noticed that CCI SR primers were $27 per K. A good sign indeed. My eyes scanned to the right, past bench rest rifle and large rifle and stopped at the stacks of CCI SPP. Lo and behold the price tag read $37.99 per K. Being a trained investigator I immediately knew this to be some type of typographical error and set out to find a Cabelas employee or some other individual of competent jurisdictional authority.

Spying an individual in a Cabelas shirt and lurking in and around the reloading section I led him back to the display case and queried him as to the price discrepancy. His educated and highly trained reply was, "Huh, I never noticed that before, seems strange doesn't it." I felt like we were on the right track since just like in AA, you first have to admit that there's a problem.

The helpful salesperson suggested that perhaps someone had filed to post the proper price and offered to go check. Fortunately he returned quickly enough that I didn't have time to track down another employee and lift a new Hornady LNL into my basket. My physical infirmity saved me four hundred bucks.

The employee returned, shaking his head and informed me that he really didn't understand why but the posted price of $37 was correct as was the considerably lower price for the SR primers. I was heart broken but not deterred. Only slightly hampered by the weight of my new and still packaged holster I set in search of more plunder to purchase. Remembering how beautiful the weather was just past the building walls I turned my attention to the shorts rack in the men's department.

After a long Colorado mountain winter I knew it was time to expose my manly, Greek God-like legs to the golden hue producing rays of the sun. My first hint that this was indeed necessary is the fact that I look like I spent the winter in a flour sack.

For those of you who own a LCP or other small to mid-sized carry gun you may be interested in some of the Cabelas brand hiking shorts. They have very, very large and deep slanted rear pockets, more than large enough to conceal a stated sized handgun an easy four to five inches below the pocket top. The front pockets are also large and deep enough to front pocket carry.

The shorts are cheaper than the primers... they're only 20 bucks.

If you've never been to the Ft. Worth area do yourself a favor and put it on your list of places to visit... it's actually a very nice area of the country.

Gotta go... the Mexican food is calling.

Jack

A PACIFIST is someone who won't raise their hands to defend themselves...
A COWARD is someone who won't raise their hands to defend someone else.
GioaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:06   #2
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The only down side is that the entire area is infested with Texans... you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one of them which really surprises me since I thought they had all already moved to the great state of Colorado.

Jack

I think they are issued a fifth wheel at the age of 18 and are regularly challenged with "I betcha your truck can't pull that up Pike's Peak!".

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:40   #3
aerod1
NRA Life Member

Texans just own Colorado, which doesn't mean we want to live there. We like living here.
Recreational Reloader
Veteran, U.S. Navy (U.S.S. Midway)
aerod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 14:46   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

All in good fun.

In another forum, I talked about writing a book for Texans visiting Colorado. The chapters were:

-Yes, the white stuff is snow. It's what happens to water when it gets really cold.
-How your brain operates on low levels of oxygen.
-The concept of the passing lane.
-Driving in the Mountains -What does it mean when I can smell my brakes?
-Why wearing jeans on the ski slopes is a bad idea.
-All Golden Corral locations.

Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 15:51   #5
WiskyT
Malcontent

That employee must have come back quickly with the price info for you to remember why you were waiting there.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 18:36   #6
n2extrm

NICE
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 18:54   #7
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
That employee must have come back quickly with the price info for you to remember why you were waiting there.

I'll have you know that for a man of my advanced maturity I have an excellent memo... hey, what's that... look, something shiny... cool. Where the hell did I put my glasses?

Jack

Old 05-03-2010, 19:46   #8
unclebob

What are you doing looking at primers; they donít work in a flintlock rife. And what are you doing looking at another LNL two is bad enough. You need too start looking at a real press. 650 with case feeder.
GSSF Life Member
Old 05-03-2010, 20:28   #9
GioaJack
Conifer Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
What are you doing looking at primers; they donít work in a flintlock rife. And what are you doing looking at another LNL two is bad enough. You need too start looking at a real press. 650 with case feeder.

unclebob:

I'm betting that the guy who coined the phrase. 'Can't teach an old dog new tricks', knew you really well.

Jack

Old 05-04-2010, 09:21   #10
unclebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
unclebob:

I'm betting that the guy who coined the phrase. 'Can't teach an old dog new tricks', knew you really well.

Jack
Come on Jack you know I have too give you a hard time.
GSSF Life Member