SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-21-2010, 16:29   #1
SJC G20
NW Glockers

SS Guide Rod/Spring???

I'm considering a stainless steel guide rod / 20# recoil spring for my G20. I probably won't put hundreds of rounds through a year but just a occasional shooter. The hottest stuff I'll probally run through it is Double Tap.

Is it worth it? What's your take on this?

Thanks
North American Arms Guardian .32NAA
...and a few more.
SJC G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 16:47   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

I have seen many who have elected to use the SS rods and 20# or 22# springs. You could just use the stock setup and save your money. You will have to accept the facts of using non factory spring. Just make sure that the extra power springs function properly and are not too strong to hamper the racking of the slide during magazine change out or to clear the weapon during stressful situations.

I use a Wolff non captured setup in my G-29 w/ 21# spring system. I went to this after my stock spring's capture button(factory plastic) let the spring slip past. The gun didn't miss a beat and Glock replaced it No Charge as the pistol was new.

Good luck & Best regards to you!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:34   #3
SAWMAN

Got One

I installed a SS guiderod with a 20# spring in my Glock20 when I first bought it some 4 years ago.

It works like a champ with the following :
180gr XTP's from DT
200gr WFNGC from DT
200gr Blaser

Never a problem with a FTF or a FTE with the standard OEM bbl OR a 6" Glock OEM hunting bbl.

Does it help ?? Do you actually need it ?? Who cares,it's my weapon and I can do whatever I want to to it,right ??
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32   #4
Grrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
I have seen many who have elected to use the SS rods and 20# or 22# springs. You could just use the stock setup and save your money. You will have to accept the facts of using non factory spring. Just make sure that the extra power springs function properly and are not too strong to hamper the racking of the slide during magazine change out or to clear the weapon during stressful situations.

I use a Wolff non captured setup in my G-29 w/ 21# spring system. I went to this after my stock spring's capture button(factory plastic) let the spring slip past. The gun didn't miss a beat and Glock replaced it No Charge as the pistol was new.

Good luck & Best regards to you!
I run a wolff 21# set up on my 29 also.....an aftermarket set up is not NEEDED but for someone that wants to get all the velocity they can out of their ammo then it would be smart to go aftermarket.
Old 05-22-2010, 13:56   #5
BTGuideRods
GT Sponsor

a lot of people go with the 20lb. spring to take a little bite out of the full house 10mm loads.

you can use an ISMI spring on your factory rod or go stainless.

for a casual shooter, sticking with a captured guide rod makes sense.
BTGuideRods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 15:20   #6
SAWMAN

?????

Grrrr,please explain to me how a spring and/or guiderod will effect velocity.

And......BT,please clarify if a stronger spring(saaaaay 20# vs 17#) will INCREASE or DECREASE the felt recoil.

Hmmmm ??

Last edited by SAWMAN; 05-22-2010 at 15:23..
SAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 19:20   #7
Grrrr

The high pressure and recoil of a 10mm can open the breach face earlier than desired giving a less than consistent velocity. If you are shooting lite loads factory combo is fine but if you want all the velocity that you can get out of your max load then an aftermarket combo is recommended.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:21   #8
527varmint

I run the 22# and wolf guide rod. It works great with double tap or light loads so far. got about 300 round downrange with it so its not a great test.

many people run this setup here at GT.

Its not any harder to rack the slide infact i find it smoother and easier then the squeeky rough factory spring setup. It racks with less noise nice and smooth. It might be harder to pull back if your a girly man.

I sleep better in bear country with a 10mm under my pillow!
527varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 17:23   #9
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

527varmint
Quote:
Its not any harder to rack the slide infact i find it smoother and easier then the squeeky rough factory spring setup. It racks with less noise nice and smooth. It might be harder to pull back if your a girly man.
I don't take offense to this statement but will try to show you my reason for my statement above...

The OP asked a question, and I provided an answer based on what little I know. But the facts are that the extra power recoil springs due infact make it tougher to rack the slide. You need to exert more pressure to accomplish this task...

Now here is the reason I mentioned this fact, you are involved in a gun battle which happens in microseconds, your gun needs a magazine change or malfunctions...you lose use of yor strong hand for whatever reason...you need to rack the slide to get back in the fight to save your butt...OH that's right you have that 22# spring inside the pistol. How do you use your weak hand to rack the slide to get your weapon to function?
You shove the sights against something like your pants leg, belt, buckle or an object to hook the sights rack the slide to place the firearm back in battery to fire an other round.

Do you see what a challenge this presents to you in this situation? Your pistol could cost you your life rather than save it.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 17:35   #10
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I'll keep my factory setup in mine.... if it fails, It gets replaced. Nothing wrong with having a spare. 17# can handle any 10mm round. And NO I am not suggesting carrying a spare one in case things go south. Keep an eye on the condition of it from time to time.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote