Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:47   #1
coachg

Lee FCD Question

I have used both Precision Bullet and Bear Creek's moly coated bullets with some success. I do still get some smoke and after checking further I think it may be because I have been using the Lee FCD. Sounds like it could undersize the bullets.

I was looking into getting the Lee Standard Taper Crimp die but then read somewhere that you could use the body of a 40 or 45 FCD with the 9mm insert to avoid the post sizing issue. Would that give the same results as the Taper crimp die? If so, I would only need to get the Taper Crimp for the 45 since I could pair the body of the 45 with the 40 insert and the 40 with the 9.

Thanks,

CG
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:28   #2
fredj338

You are making it too difficult. The Lee TC die is like $14, but the correct die for your needs instead of trying to build something from parts. You'll get better results. What powder are you using? That could well be your smoking issue. Some pwoders work better than others. Even w/ moly coated, you'll get a litle smoke compared to jacketed or plated.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:35   #3
coachg

Yes. They are really inexpensive so I'll probably try that. So far I've used Power Pistol since they recommend slower powders.

I suspect the FCD could be the culprit because I get less smoke from my 357 Sig loads.

I can handle a little smoke but just trying to minimize it. If this works I can buy 3500 115 gr FP bullets from Precision for $58/1000 which I like.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05   #4
Colorado4Wheel

I had bad luck with Moly in both my barrels. First thing to do is actually measure the bullets. Mine measure .3555 which was just too small. Either way get a regular taper crimp die. It wont hurt. You can try the insert in the wrong body like you suggested. Let us know if it works. Lee crimp dies are about $10. I get less leading with my lead bullets then those moly bullets. You get to size your lead bullets to the size you want rather then some "supposed" right size.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:20   #5
coachg

Switching the inserts does appear to work. The outside diameters are all the same. I wasn't sure if there was any difference between the taper crimps of the two dies.

I ordered the dies from Midway and will give it a try both ways and report back.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23   #6
Colorado4Wheel

Interesting. Then I think your all set.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:21   #7
coachg

I got my Taper Crimp dies and loaded up some Moly bullets from Precision and Bear Creek. I still got a little smoke which is fine, but unless I just had a good day, I saw a BIG improvement in accuracy.

For the 40 and 9, the results were about the same using the 45 FCD with the smaller inserts compared to the respective Taper Crimp dies. Both showed improved accuracy.

Eliminating the FCD for 45 and using the Taper Crimp only, I noticed a huge difference in accuracy. I'm not a great shot but I was able to cut a 2" hole at 15 yards which I never did before using the FCD.

I'll see if its a fluke, but for now I'll just be using the Taper Crimp.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:37   #8
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
I got my Taper Crimp dies and loaded up some Moly bullets from Precision and Bear Creek. I still got a little smoke which is fine, but unless I just had a good day, I saw a BIG improvement in accuracy.

For the 40 and 9, the results were about the same using the 45 FCD with the smaller inserts compared to the respective Taper Crimp dies. Both showed improved accuracy.

Eliminating the FCD for 45 and using the Taper Crimp only, I noticed a huge difference in accuracy. I'm not a great shot but I was able to cut a 2" hole at 15 yards which I never did before using the FCD.

I'll see if its a fluke, but for now I'll just be using the Taper Crimp.
Welcome to the Dark Side my friend. The "I don't need no sticken FCD" side. The side were hits come easier, your ammo loves you more and your pride in workmanship grows.
Old 05-10-2010, 13:32   #9
coachg

I hear ya.