Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:06   #1
coachg

Loadmaster Priming Problem Solution

I know most of the regulars are not crazy about the Lee LoadMaster, but I have had some very good success with mine and since I got it used for $150 with all kinds of extras, I like it even more.

It's not without problems and I think one of the most common complaints is the priming system. I wasn't having any problems for a while but recently when I switched over to load some 40, I found that my primers weren't seating deep enough. I made a simple adjustment to the depth using the adjustment screw and went along thinking everything was fine. It wasn't until I switched back to 9mm that I really started having problems. I started tipping primers and chewing up primer sliders like crazy. I was really frustrating. I cleaned everything, deburred, replaced, etc. Still it would happen. After a little research online I found the solution. It's explained really well here.

http://www.42gpw.com/reloadingbench/...ster_setup.htm

If you're having problems with broken primer sliders and tipped primers, check this out. After double checking the die setup and primer adjustment screw, everything has been flawless.
coachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:01   #2
Colorado4Wheel

Did you buy my old Load Master? I can't remember who I sold it too.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:24   #3
Wash-ar15

this is the most important part.

make sure they push the case all the way into the grooves

Make sure the case retainers are set. Make sure they are snug and pushed inward. Then, run a case (without a turret in the press) through the press. As it, along with the shell plate, moves (donít use a slamming motion, but rather a smooth one) through, it will push the retainers out to the perfect setting and they will stay there. This is especially important for station #2 because this retainer is what holds the case in place during priming. Many use another die for alignment and that doesn'tít hurt but itís really not necessary. Consider that if the retainer is not holding the case in all the way, centrifugal force cases the case to move outward and then itís no longer centered for priming and problems occur.
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 14:17   #4
coachg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Did you buy my old Load Master? I can't remember who I sold it too.
No. Unless you were living in New Jersey at the time which I doubt. Plus from you other reports I think you would have given it away at the time.
Old 05-06-2010, 15:08   #5
Colorado4Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachg View Post
No. Unless you were living in New Jersey at the time which I doubt. Plus from you other reports I think you would have given it away at the time.
I obviously sold it with the buyer knowing what was going on. I had a bad ejector/indexer. So I gave him that new part with the machine. I was wondering if that fixed it or not.
Old 05-06-2010, 15:14   #6
coachg

The LoadMaster video series had one about making mods to the ejector to keep the shellplate from backing up throwing off indexing. I tried that and it seems to work ok.

You really have to have some patience with the LM. I like tinkering around with it so it's ok. I might upgrade someday, but I'd have to spend a lot more to get the Auto Index and Case Feeder options.
Old 05-06-2010, 15:18   #7
Colorado4Wheel

I installed my sizing die over the priming station. Made no difference at all. I noticed later that the index/ejector was worn. But, you would think it wouldn't matter with the sizing die holding everything firmly. I don't have time to fiddle with a press that much. When I want to load I need to get it done. Sometimes I only have 30mins to crank out 200rds. LM was just not dependable enough for me. When it worked it ran fast and good. When it didn't I was pulling my hair out for a week. I bet I learned everything there was to learn (up to that point) about the LM. I probably sold it just when I would have fixed it and had it all worked out. But the process of getting there was way too frustrating to live with regularly.
Old 05-06-2010, 16:03   #8
coachg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
I installed my sizing die over the priming station. Made no difference at all. I noticed later that the index/ejector was worn. But, you would think it wouldn't matter with the sizing die holding everything firmly. I don't have time to fiddle with a press that much. When I want to load I need to get it done. Sometimes I only have 30mins to crank out 200rds. LM was just not dependable enough for me. When it worked it ran fast and good. When it didn't I was pulling my hair out for a week. I bet I learned everything there was to learn (up to that point) about the LM. I probably sold it just when I would have fixed it and had it all worked out. But the process of getting there was way too frustrating to live with regularly.
I can understand that.

I had tried the sizing die in station 2 also, but this problem was a little different. It's based on the height of the priming rod when the primer is being slid onto it. If it's too high when that takes place, bad things happen. If all of the dies are adjusted properly which allow the shell plate to reach the top and the priming depth is then set properly, it solved THAT problem.

I know there are still troubles down the road that I will need to figure out.

Once I've done that, I'll probably take the same road as you.
Old 05-06-2010, 17:31   #9
Colorado4Wheel

Thats a interesting observation. One I have not heard before. But it makes perfect sence. Perhaps someone else with this issue will see this and improve the opperation of their press.