SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2010, 17:16   #1
G27Chief
Lifetime Membership

Smith 340 coating issues

I have a 340sc prefix CHM, I carry routinely as a back up and off duty while cycling and the lacquer coating has worn off on the back strap.
The little pistol shoots accurately and carrying it is a dream. I will say full power .357's are a bit punishing to my big paw, but short barrel load CCI gold dots are manageable. Seems almost unbelievable that a weapon that costs as much as these, would have this cosmetic issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or similar problems with the finish?

Last edited by G27Chief; 03-28-2010 at 17:19..
G27Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 18:43   #2
Ganesh
Okie 4 Life

Do you have pics?....is it the coating on the cylinder?...if so... your model sc has a titanium cylinder which is great for cutting weight. not so great for durability compared to other models, like my 340 M&P. Which instead of a titanium cylinder it has a coated stainless steel cylinder. If you do a search, you should find a few posts on cylinder wear from scratches, ect. ect...

If you choose not to send it back to S&W....You could buy a new titanium cylinder from www.midwayusa.com for about 130 bucks. Tho Im not sure what all you have to do to it or if its just a drop in type of job.

Never mind....somehow I toatally missed where you said its your backstrap, heh..... Darn readin skillz, heh... Im not sure now, hehe...other than sendin it in to S&W or a gunsmith that can redo the DLC coating on the scandium frame.
Glock 18(still in my dreams)

Last edited by Ganesh; 04-05-2010 at 18:46..
Ganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21   #3
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

Anyone ever swap a Ti cylinder into thier M&P340 to save more weight while carrying?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 15:06   #4
Chup

At our Shop we have sent Three 642 Revolvers back to S&W for that same thing. these were Guns that Customers had cleaned and it destroyed the finish. S&W sent us new guns to replace them. My 642 started to peal just from carry in a Pocket Holster I sold it and got a 442 and it still looks new. I would call S&W Customer Service and tell them about it if it bothers you. See what the will do for you.

Last edited by Chup; 06-20-2010 at 15:08..
Chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:16   #5
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chup View Post
At our Shop we have sent Three 642 Revolvers back to S&W for that same thing. these were Guns that Customers had cleaned and it destroyed the finish. S&W sent us new guns to replace them. My 642 started to peal just from carry in a Pocket Holster I sold it and got a 442 and it still looks new. I would call S&W Customer Service and tell them about it if it bothers you. See what the will do for you.
i had to send my 642 back twice from my sweat the aluminum stated to pit under the grip where the coating began to come off. they refinished it once but the pitting [or whatever] started coming threw in a month. they finally replaced the frame and i gave it to my wife to carry. i have read a lot of posts on this problem. i would like to have a light weight smith but don't know what i'll get next.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:57   #6
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

My older 642 has an anodized frame & has been carried for 20 years & still looks great..
Also there was a run of 442s in Nickel that would hold up better than that clearcoat spray on finish..
I'd call Smith & they should refinish for you, I've heard that others have been told NO..
Be polite & straight to the point..
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 20:41   #7
Chup

In August my 442 will be a year old. I have carried it daily and it still looks like new. It has about 400 to 500 rounds through it. I will never buy the coated stainless finish again. My 642 started to peal within the first month. I got rid of it at about 14 months. I hate to see it now.
Old 07-25-2010, 21:06   #8
1canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chup View Post
In August my 442 will be a year old. I have carried it daily and it still looks like new. It has about 400 to 500 rounds through it. I will never buy the coated stainless finish again. My 642 started to peal within the first month. I got rid of it at about 14 months. I hate to see it now.
is the 442 frame aluminum, and if it is what finish does it have on it?
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 14:18   #9
Chup

My 442 is a Aluminum Alloy, I believe, that ways about 15 Oz. It has the Black Finnish and is +P rated. I carry it daily in a pocket holster and it shows no ware at all.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51   #10
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
is the 442 frame aluminum, and if it is what finish does it have on it?
I think the clear-coating type finish is merely cosmetic as bare aluminum would not match (color-wise) too well with the stainless barrel/cylinder of the Airweight series.

That said, I sent one back about 5 years ago due to the peeling issue. S&W refinished it and this time, the finish held up surprisingly well.

I traded the aluminum Bodyguard for an old school stainless steel 649 (no dash-no lock) in .38 Special only (1 7/8 inch barrel) and never looked back. That extra 4-5 ounces doesn't bother me even for ankle carry.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 23:25   #11
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

Leigh did I sell you that M649 in Lexington KY on Black Friday??
Just wondered..
Old 08-20-2010, 04:01   #12
jamaicanj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1canvas View Post
i had to send my 642 back twice from my sweat the aluminum stated to pit under the grip where the coating began to come off. they refinished it once but the pitting [or whatever] started coming threw in a month. they finally replaced the frame and i gave it to my wife to carry. i have read a lot of posts on this problem. i would like to have a light weight smith but don't know what i'll get next.
Thanks for sharing about the 642 finish issue. I have been trying to decide on a snub and thought the 642 finish may be a bit more on the durable side, but you have now enlightened me.
Phillipians 4:13
Go Gators/Wildcats!!!
Glock Certified Armorer & GSSF Member
jamaicanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:14   #13
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

Find an older Anodized one or the 442 electroless nickle..

Tags
340sc, coating flaking