Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2010, 18:51   #1
wrenrj1

Gonna buy an iMac

Ok, my Dell PC is slowing down (1.5G RAM) and it's time to lighten its load and relegate it to surfing the internet for occasional guests in the guest bedroom. I want to buy the Apple iMac 21.5 Monitor w/ 4GB RAM.

To this point I've been a PC guy and still have a PC laptop and Netbook. I currently run a Lynksys router hooked to my PC. Tell me what are the issues that I need to consider when converting from PC to MAC?

I've heard that once you go MAC you never go back...
Old 05-07-2010, 20:49   #2
arodgers

I'm a month in to my MacBook Pro and I love it. I can't believe I waited this long to make the switch.

The only issue I've run in to during the switch is one program that won't run on OSX. I use a program called HPTuners to tune my car, so I have to jump on my other laptop when I need to use it.
arodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 20:53   #3
Linux3

Why would you think there will be an issue with your Linksys router?
IEEE 802.11 is a standard. MS, MAC, Linux, Solaris, whatever support the standard.

Linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:48   #4
checkyoursix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenrj1 View Post
Ok, my Dell PC is slowing down (1.5G RAM) and it's time to lighten its load and relegate it to surfing the internet for occasional guests in the guest bedroom. I want to buy the Apple iMac 21.5 Monitor w/ 4GB RAM.

To this point I've been a PC guy and still have a PC laptop and Netbook. I currently run a Lynksys router hooked to my PC. Tell me what are the issues that I need to consider when converting from PC to MAC?

I've heard that once you go MAC you never go back...
You are not going to have any problem with the router, you will be surprised by how smooth is the transition. If you care about learning this kind of thing, there is a good book written by David Pogue on switching OS, I always recommend it to people switching.

As for going back, we haven't owned a PC in years, and we both suffer at work when working with a Win machine is a must. Cannot speak of Vista, since neither my wife nor I have received a Vista machine at work, but there is an abyss between Mac's abilities and PC's.

Only big catch: there are less games, a lot less games, available for Macs still. If that is an issue, you might want to consider buying an Xbox or PlayStation and get your fix there, and stick with the Mac.

Bertrand Russell
checkyoursix is offline   Reply With Quote