SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2010, 21:19   #1
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Tumbler Time Baby!!!

I just got home from picking up a 1 lb bottle of Unique powder and a Lyman Turbo 1200 tumbler from the local Wally world!!! It came with some free Lyman media, but I also picked up a bottle of turtle wax car liquid car polish to mix it with it for a bright shine.

I wanted to ask if it hurts anything for me to be doing it indoors? I have no place outside to set it up without the fear of somebody stealing it. I have it going in the other room right now with that door closed, and it is actually much quieter than I thought it would be. I am mixing up about 190 .45 ACP brass right now.

I figured I should get my butt in gear and get some clean brass all ready to go for when the bulk of my equipment comes in hopefully next week. Tomorrow's little project will be building me a bench out of all the nice extra scrap wood I have been collecting for this very reason.

I just wanted to share with everybody in my excitement!

Last edited by KiloBravo; 05-07-2010 at 21:20..
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 22:00   #2
dubels

I am not sure if it was turtle wax or nu finish that people have been using for polishing brass, but be sure to check if the product you are using has ammonia in it as it will make the brass brittle. But there is really not that big of an issue of using the tumbler in doors, ventilation would help but the issue actually comes up when you separate the brass from the media. There are fine particles that mix with lead and such and is really only a problem when the lid is off and you are pouring it.
dubels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 22:00   #3
buyobuyo

Only thing to watch out for is the dust. It's what carries most of the lead you could get exposed to from tumbling.

Keep the lid on while tumbling, throw in a quartered used drier sheet with each batch of brass, and give it a few minutes after it finishes to let any dust settle. Also, it's better to not do it on carpet if you can. The carpet likes to hold onto dust and it gets kicked back up while vacuuming.
buyobuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:24   #4
kshutt

Hey, if the turtle wax thing doesn't work for you, I think it's "nu finish" that some guys use. Me? I just use Midway's orange smelling stuff, or Dillon's Rapid Polish! No ammonia in either one.

Good luck!
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:42   #5
srd

One cap of new finish and one cap of mineral spirits . Turn on the tumbler..let it run for a few minutes and then throw in the brass. I cant comment on the turtle wax..never tried it. My tumblers are in the basement plugged into an appliance timer so i dont have to remember to shut them off.
srd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:37   #6
ron59
Bustin Caps

Tumble inside so it doesn't get stolen... but take outdoors when separating the brass from the media to prevent the dust and such from being inside. Hopefully you also have a media separator? Makes the job much easier.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:52   #7
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron59 View Post
Tumble inside so it doesn't get stolen... but take outdoors when separating the brass from the media to prevent the dust and such from being inside. Hopefully you also have a media separator? Makes the job much easier.
Got it. I will make sure to take it outside today to empty the brass. I don't have a media seperator yet, but did just think of an idea that might work until I get one. I was going to buy a cheap pooper scooper shovel for cat litter boxes. That should allow the media to fall through and keep hold of the brass. It will take longer, but it will have to do until I can get the right tool for the job.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:25   #8
Murph33

I only mix one caliber of brass at a time... obviously so they do not get stuck together. Instead of spending $15-20 on a separator I went to Wally World and bought a spaghetti strainer for $3. Good plastic and the right size holes for getting the media out and keeping the brass in.
Murph33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:07   #9
buyobuyo

I too use a plastic strainer/colander and a plastic tub for media separation.
buyobuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 15:47   #10
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

It can get dusty in the immediate area when using the tumbler. Any residue may be released so use caution.