Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2010, 00:10   #1
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Is there not a single large pistol primer out there?

As many of my other recent threads have explained, I am going to jump into the reloading world. I want my first crack at it to be .45 ACP. I have brass and powder, but cannot source large pistol primers, and bullets are almost as bad.

I must say...this is really discouraging to find out. I thought I would have enough time during the coming week to find some components, but am beginning to think that it will now take longer.

Can anybody out there help me out in finding some? I just checked several of the big and some smaller sites, but no luck. I realize a lot of you guys probably have a nice stock pile on hand. The timing sure does suck though for us new guys.

Ok, rant off now. Thanks for listening.
Old 05-08-2010, 00:14   #2
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Okay...I just found some on Cabela's. They want $32/1000 plus $20 hazmat fee???

I guess I just need to give up for the night before I say screw the entire idea. At least I can still find factory ammo on the shelves when I need it. *Knock on wood*
Old 05-08-2010, 03:59   #3
kshutt

Okay, you can go here: http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/. For $25.50/1000 you can order Wolf large pistol primers to get you started. You're still going to pay a hazmat fee, and you're not going to avoid it with an online purchase.

Before you order these primers, however, just understand that I'm not endorsing them! I've read a few threads that contain less than desirable reviews on Wolf primers. I've also read some that have favorable comments as well.

My thing is this: I only shoot Federal large pistol primers. I went through a season some time ago with FTF issues, Winchester primers and both of my Glocks (G30 & G21). I switched to Federal (at the advice of someone that had experienced the same issue) and I've never had another problem. What does that have to do with Wolf? Well, maybe nothing, but I've read enough about them to just stick with Federal. You may, however, order them and love them for the rest of your life!

Good shooting, friend!
kshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:41   #4
sdelam

I know this isnt what you want to hear but, it took me a year to get 5k CCI's from Graf's. I can get them locally for $50 per 1000, but I wont pay that. Good luck.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:52   #5
pesticidal
CLM Number 181
Eh?

Send a message via Yahoo to pesticidal

Our local Scheel's store had a lot of them last weekend when I was in there, from several different manufacturers. $34.99/k
Old 05-08-2010, 07:13   #6
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Just swing by Colorado Springs. I'll hook you up.

Seriously, none of your local stores have any? I've been seeing more and more on the shelves out here...
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:21   #7
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutt View Post
Okay, you can go here: http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/. For $25.50/1000 you can order Wolf large pistol primers to get you started. You're still going to pay a hazmat fee, and you're not going to avoid it with an online purchase.

Before you order these primers, however, just understand that I'm not endorsing them! I've read a few threads that contain less than desirable reviews on Wolf primers. I've also read some that have favorable comments as well.

My thing is this: I only shoot Federal large pistol primers. I went through a season some time ago with FTF issues, Winchester primers and both of my Glocks (G30 & G21). I switched to Federal (at the advice of someone that had experienced the same issue) and I've never had another problem. What does that have to do with Wolf? Well, maybe nothing, but I've read enough about them to just stick with Federal. You may, however, order them and love them for the rest of your life!

Good shooting, friend!
Excellent! Thanks very much for the info. I greatly appreciate it.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:22   #8
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
I know this isnt what you want to hear but, it took me a year to get 5k CCI's from Graf's. I can get them locally for $50 per 1000, but I wont pay that. Good luck.

Oh geez...I guess I will have to keep looking.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:35   #9
robin303
Helicopter Nut

There was one time several months ago Cabela's were the only ones that had small pistol primers so I bought 4 K of CCI.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:39   #10
BBJones

I have used Wolf SPP(4k) and LPP(2k) out of my 9mm and .45 Glocks with no incident. I make sure that they are seated as deep as possible because I have heard they are a tad harder than most primers.

Powder Valley frequently has them instock and is a great online retailer to deal with. If they are out if stock, they come back in stock every week or so. Also a great place to buy powder and they will only charge you one haz mat fee.
BBJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:42   #11
John4me05
JayzDaddy

Just remember the haz mat is 20 bucks wether you buy 1k or 10k. I believe powder would be included in the same 20 if you bought it as well. Find a good cheap price site and order bulk of both from the same place.
John4me05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:42   #12
Njanear
Nagant-ophile

NOTE: Make sure that you don't have a bunch of the Win NT cases mixed in, as those use the Small Pistol Primers.
GlockTalk Clubs- #10 Georgia Glocker; #3745 Bull Dawgs; #600: 10 Ring, .40S&W, Sub Club, Long Slide, Niners, Wheelhouse, MilSurp, Rimfire, 1911, Black Rifle
Njanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:52   #13
Colorado4Wheel

Primers are the hardest part. Bullets are easy. For primers it helps to think think of who you can order with to spread out the hazematt fee. Just can't be real picky right now. Take what you can get. I have a friend who I can order with pretty much any time. So last time CCI's came available I just ordered 20K. Get a batch to tide you over an put your order in for someething else at PV and wait.

Bullets. Go to Precision Delta and Montana Gold. I won't take more then a month for PD. Just call and ask. Place the order and wait.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:48   #14
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
Just swing by Colorado Springs. I'll hook you up.

Seriously, none of your local stores have any? I've been seeing more and more on the shelves out here...
Thanks Steve!

I just scored...I called the same guy who ordered my press and everything for me. I was able to pick up box of 1000 Remington large pistol primers and 100 Winchester 230 gr. FMJ bullets. I now have all components I need.

BTW, I paid $35 for the primers and like $21 for the bullets. It might have been a little high, but I needed the stuff.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:50   #15
KiloBravo
Lifetime Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado4Wheel View Post
Primers are the hardest part. Bullets are easy. For primers it helps to think think of who you can order with to spread out the hazematt fee. Just can't be real picky right now. Take what you can get. I have a friend who I can order with pretty much any time. So last time CCI's came available I just ordered 20K. Get a batch to tide you over an put your order in for someething else at PV and wait.

Bullets. Go to Precision Delta and Montana Gold. I won't take more then a month for PD. Just call and ask. Place the order and wait.
Thanks a lot for the tip. Now that I was able to find some, I will hop online here soon and order up a bunch of powder and primers from the same place and then make the wait.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:06   #16
Big Sam

Don't know quite where you are but if you were at the Hamburg Cabela's, you can't be too far. Try Shyda's in Lebanon or Troups in Elizabethtown. Both have CCI and Federal large pistol primers for $30-32 per thousand. I just bought some a few days ago. The primer shortage is mostly gone in our area.
Old 05-08-2010, 13:34   #17
n2extrm

You need to place an order like steve said and wait it out. You have 1000, now is the time to place a BO. Powder Valley and grafs won't charge your card till the order ships. Grafs will call you and tell you they have an order ready to ship, what it is, what is back ordered and ask if you still want it and if you want it on the same CC. I split a large order with some friends late last year, got it early this year, Febuary maybe. We got all of the stuff except large pistol. Still waiting for those. Best of luck to you!
n2extrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 16:55   #18
FlyfishermanMike

The shelfs here in Utah are well stocked.
FlyfishermanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:22   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyfishermanMike View Post
The shelfs here in Utah are well stocked.
I was at Gander Mountain about 2mo ago, $5.99 for 100.

That's just ridiculous. I hope primers come out of the stratosphere eventually.. . I'm good to go w/ about 12k Win SPP, and 4k Win/CCI LPP. I only load .45 and 10mm for LPP and don't shoot either of them with the frequency I shoot 9 and 40.

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 17:47   #20
RustyFN

Quote:
Is there not a single large pistol primer out there?
Yes I have around 9,000 single LP primers. Sorry some how I don't think that's what you wanted to know. I order all of my primers from Powder Valley or Graf's. I always go in with a friend or two and max out the order for one hazmat fee. You can order powder and primers mixed and they will ship in the same box for the one hazmat fee.