Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2010, 06:41   #1
pascal

Question of reasonable cost for a repair.

Hello,
I am requesting knowledgeable ideas of a reasonable price for a specific repair.
I got one from a gunsmith and I thought it extremely high, but have nothing to compare it to. Your answers will give me a base of information.
I want a precut and milled wooden Steven's Favorite 1915 buttstock, finish fitted and replacement buttplate installed and the stock finished to look close to the fore stock color. I can put the stock on the rifle, but it needs final fitting and finishing. What do you think a reasonable price to expect for this amount of labor? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
pascal
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28   #2
tlafrance
Missing AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascal View Post
Hello,
I am requesting knowledgeable ideas of a reasonable price for a specific repair.
I got one from a gunsmith and I thought it extremely high, but have nothing to compare it to. Your answers will give me a base of information.
I want a precut and milled wooden Steven's Favorite 1915 buttstock, finish fitted and replacement buttplate installed and the stock finished to look close to the fore stock color. I can put the stock on the rifle, but it needs final fitting and finishing. What do you think a reasonable price to expect for this amount of labor? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
pascal
Minimum 100 bucks. The finish sanding is labor intensive. DIY and refinish the forend to match.

Tom

"We need to save the planet from Liberals, not from incandescent light bulbs" - Kurt Larson
tlafrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:00   #3
pascal

Hello tlafrance,
If I thought I had ever shown any aptitude for woodworking, I would try.
But having ruined a stock on another rifle and having fixed the rifle mechanically with spare parts, I don't want to make it look even worse than it does.
Thank you for your reply and estimate. Having been given an estimate of $325 plus $100 more for an oil finish plus $45 dollars to ship one way, I was taken by surprise.
I'll look forward to more estimates and then gunsmiths capable of the task. The rifle has no buttplate and numerous gouges of wood out of the butt area.
There is no case hardening and not much distinguishable bluing. So I will not spend over $400 to get it fixed.
pascal
Old 05-09-2010, 16:35   #4
JohnKSa

I figure that $250 would be a reasonable estimate if you supply all the parts including a finished buttplate.

Not because it's definitely going to take that much work to get the job done but because it COULD before he gets everything finished to match, fits the buttplate to the stock and fits the stock to the gun.

If he has to supply parts and refinish the buttplate then add the cost of the parts plus another $25 for the metal finishing work on the buttplate to my base $250 estimate.

Last edited by JohnKSa; 05-09-2010 at 16:35..
JohnKSa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 17:01   #5
pascal

Howdy JohnKSa,
Thanks for your reply and thoughts on my problem. The buttplate is a plastic reproduction and fits the curve of the buttstock end although it is not a wide as the wood. So far it looks like my first guy might have been on the high side.
Thanks or the info and thanks to any members that reply.
Then I gonna try to pick your brains for a good gunsmith. Take care.
pascal
Old 05-13-2010, 05:48   #6
pascal

Now-Who knows a good gunsmith to install stock

Well Gentlemen,
I guess it is time to ask you for a good gunsmith that could do the stock installation, that you think would be in the $250 or less range and with a good reputation. Hopefully some of you will have personal experience of the gunsmith's work. Thanks again for your help.
pascal

Last edited by pascal; 05-13-2010 at 05:49.. Reason: add title
pascal is offline   Reply With Quote