Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:58   #1
Nutt51

Reciprocity GA. and S.C.

I am looking for an answer to a question.
Can anyone tell me why Georgia and South Carolina do not have
a reciprocity agreement for Concealed Carry Weapons permit
holders.
Georgia and South Carolina both have reciprocity agreements with
nearly all of the Southern states of the S.E. United States, and
a few others as well, but do not have an agreement with each
other and they are neighboring states.
Just wondered what may be the problem.
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 13:21   #2
cmcinc

I believe it has something to do with SC requiring training for a permit and GA does not.
Old 05-09-2010, 13:22   #3
Glock30 Guy
XD40

I was surprised by that too. I think it has to do with training, which the other poster hit on.

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
Glock30 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 18:12   #4
GT4494

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcinc View Post
I believe it has something to do with SC requiring training for a permit and GA does not.
In Ga you just go to the Probate court and apply, go to the PD and get printed. With no problems ie. criminal record/complaints they will issue the permit.

SC requires an 8 hr training class, fingerprints and a background check.

I don't see them ever coming to agreement on this. I ended up with an SC (resident) and a NH. I can carry anywhere in the southeast with no problems.
GT4494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:58   #5
Nutt51

Fellas, thanks for the replies and it does seem to be the
safety training course causing the issue.

Not all states require training, or hands-on training. For example, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Washington have no training/safety certification requirement whatsoever. Virginia only requires applicants to view a video and pass a 20-question multiple-choice test online.
[edit] Reciprocity

Reciprocal recognition of concealed carry privileges and rights vary state-to-state, are negotiated between individual states, and sometimes additionally depend on the residency status of the license holder.<sup id="cite_ref-usacarry.com_18-0" class="reference">[19]</sup> While 37 states have reciprocity agreements with at least one other state and several states honor all out-of-state concealed carry permits, some states have special requirements like training courses or safety exams, and therefore do not honor permits from states that do not have such requirements for issue. Some states make exceptions for persons under the minimum age (usually 21) if they are active or honorably-discharged members of the military or a police force (the second of these two is also allowed under Federal law). States that do not have this exemption generally do not recognize any license from states that do. An example of this is the State of Washington's refusal to honor any Texas CHL as Texas has the military exception to age.
Missouri holds the widest reciprocity of all the states in the U.S. with the total number of other states currently honoring its permit at 36,<sup id="cite_ref-19" class="reference">[20]</sup> followed by Florida and Utah at 33;<sup id="cite_ref-20" class="reference">[21]</sup><sup id="cite_ref-21" class="reference">[22]</sup> Missouri, however, does not issue permits to non-residents, and some states that honor Utah permits do not extend that to also include Utah's non-resident permits.
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:08   #6
Bulldawg55

The right to bear arms is granted under federal law and no state laws should be able to impede those rights in any way.
As far as the requirement of classes,training and testing, is it supposed to prevent accidents the way drivers ed and testing prevents car accidents?
I have absolutely no problem with training classes etc. and woud encourage them for people ignorant of gun safety and handling, but think that should be left up to the individual, who's responsibilty it is to be accountable for their actions.
In this crazy sue sue society (we need tort reform) it's unbelievable how some have to pay for the ignorant actions of others!

Stupid says "Oh no I just cut myself!"
Government says "Oh my,you sue, and we"ll add another government agency to be a watch dog over the Knife manufacturers because they made that knife too sharp and didn"t explain explicitly how to use it, described in a 666 page manual. By the way, we'll need to raise your taxes to pay for
the implimentation of this agency which will protect you from your stupid
self. Well, not really but someone has to pay anyway!

Last edited by Bulldawg55; 06-07-2010 at 12:50..
Bulldawg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 15:21   #7
Match10
NRA Life Member

Nope.... The Right to Bear Arms is recognized, NOT granted, by the Bill of Rights.

I am of a slightly different opinion. The Bill or Rights says nothing about a "training class" to exercise your rights. Not for the First, Second or fourth... In fact, not one of them!

Last edited by Match10; 06-08-2010 at 15:23..
Match10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 19:59   #8
Norske

!

SC and WV will only recognize CCW of reciprocal states when the CCW is held by a resident of that State.

In some respects I think this is an artifact of the exact wording of their state laws. Whoever drafted them used a phrase like "a resident who holds a CCW from the reciprocal state" rather than a more generic "a holder of a CCW from the reciprocal state". They just did not give due consideration to non-resident CCWs.

So, in this instance GA will recognize any FL CCW, including those held by non-residents. So, any SC resident with a FL CCW can use it to CCW in GA.

But a GA resident with a FL CCW? Sorry, no good for CCW in SC!

That is fundamentally screwed up.

The only way a GA resident can get a SC CCW is if he owns property in SC!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:02   #9
Pro-Gun Liberal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norske View Post
SC and WV will only recognize CCW of reciprocal states when the CCW is held by a resident of that State.
West Virginia changed their laws last year and will now recognize non-resident permits (including Florida, Utah, and Virginia, all of which not only issue to non-residents but can be obtained by mail).

Unfortunately you are right about South Carolina, which is still an annoying hole in my map.
Pro-Gun Liberal is offline   Reply With Quote