SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2010, 17:31   #1
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Expanded XTP 124s and Gold Dot 125

Finally got out to destroy more waterjugs. Here are the results.

The XTPs, 2 new and 3 expanded, are on the left; the GD on the right. Shot into plastic waterjugs at c. 10', both at c. 1380FPS.

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

Altho the GD looks a little better, in the sense that it stayed expanded to a greater diameter because the lead bonded to the petals held them out farther, I again am quite pleased with the performance of the XTP. Surely it's the best-value PD bullet around. At c. $15 per box delivered, I can afford to shoot them a bunch.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:45   #2
MinervaDoe

Thanks for opening a thread on this. I've included your other posts from the thread you originally posted them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreybehr View Post
Now that Hornady has a 'super-premium' bullet, the FTX, the retail prices on the XTPs are lower. Midway sells the 124g. for $14.99 and had it on sale for $14.19; I ordered 10 boxes.

I've used the 155g. in my 40 and tested it.

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

Altho the GoldDot and PDX1 looked a little 'better' in my waterjug tests, I still chose the XTP.

I just started reloading a 357SIG and again chose the XTP; it's a fine PD bullet.
Quote:

One sample of the Nosler 135 separated completely; one was about to. If you want a 'fragmenter', this is the one. Those are 2 XTPs on the left and the much-vaunted-but-highly-disappointing Remington Golden Sabers in the center.

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

Some say that testing in water in HIGHLY NONindicative of how a bullet performs in the bodies of badguys. They MAY be right, but I'll still take a bullet that expands, penetrates, and stays together in highly homogeneous jugs of water to one that doesn't.

FWIW, I'll have some pics of 124g. 0.3555" XTPs shot into water at c. 1400FPS tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 14:31   #3
jeffreybehr
GAPist #1944

Minerva, TYVM. Not to confuse matters even more, but after developing that PD load with XTPs, I just bought 250 new Speer 125g. GoldDot LE-load cartridges* from a fellow GT member, so I guess I'll be carrying those for a while.

Now it's time to seriously work on an inexpensive practice round with the 124g. Berry's plated HP** at slightly lower velocities.

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

I've loaded these to velocities as high as c. 1450FPS (at 10'), and those groups were as small as those of other bullets so apparently the plating adheres, but I think I'll try for c. 1200FPS.

* These are the slightly faster load, #54234... http://le.atk.com/general/speerprodu...n/GoldDot.aspx .

** HPs make shooting at waterjugs LOTS more fun.

Last edited by jeffreybehr; 05-11-2010 at 14:59..
jeffreybehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 16:44   #4
MinervaDoe

Quote:
Now it's time to seriously work on an inexpensive practice round with the 124g. Berry's plated HP** at slightly lower velocities.

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

.... I think I'll try for c. 1200FPS.
Good idea.
Obligatory plated bullets disclaimer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranier Ballistics (Manufacturer of Plated Bullets)
Q3. Do your bullets have ANY velocity restrictions?
A. In general, our bullets typically perform their best when shot at velocities no greater than 1,200 to 1,250 Feet per second (FPS).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry's Bullets (Manufacturer of Plated Bullets)
FAQ: How fast can I shoot these bullets?
Velocities depend on the caliber, but as a rule of thumb, we recommend you don't shoot our plated bullets over 1200 feet-per-second. Our 44's actually shoot best around 1150 fps. 45's are generally good at 850-900 fps. Our bullets are not recommended for magnum velocities.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 05-11-2010 at 16:45..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote