Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:18   #1
Big Dog Dad

I have an old Compaq PC that needs Ubuntu Linux Installed - HELP!

I have an old PC that needs the hard drive erased because of a virus that cannot be erased so I thought I would sanitize it and install Ubuntu Linux for something to play with. My first question is - HOW do I do it from start to end? Thanks in advance!

-=BDD=-
Old 05-15-2010, 07:46   #2
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Try the Lubuntu version for speed. Hopefully you have broadband internet. Download and same this link.

http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Egilir/lubuntu-10.04.iso

It's 521 MB so it will take a while. This is the CD image. You must write it to a CD as an "iso" also called DAO, disc at once depending on your CD writing software. Set the old computer to boot from CD. This a live CD so the Linux system will be running from the CD. Choose the installer once the system is up. It will be a system tool and may say something like "install Lubuntu". Choose "whole drive" for the install. Allow the automatic disc partitioning. This will form the needed Linux partitions on the hard drive. Keep it simple and just use the default partitions. Run the installer after confirming the disc changes. You will need a name and a password. It should give a message when it's finished installing. Shutdown the system which should be from a pull down menu in the upper right corner. The CD should eject. Remove the CD and press the "Enter" key. After it shuts down, restart the computer.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:34   #3
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Dad View Post
I have an old PC that needs the hard drive erased because of a virus that cannot be erased so I thought I would sanitize it and install Ubuntu Linux for something to play with. My first question is - HOW do I do it from start to end? Thanks in advance!

-=BDD=-
Well, let's start with "How to ask a question?".. . An "old" PC could be a 400mhz PC w/ 64mb of Ram, or a 1.6ghz PC with 1gig of ram.. big differences there... Provide some details on the computer.

The actual install is easy, I've talked several through installing Linux in this forum(they may not be very good examples because they were problem installs.. ), but generally speaking, what you want to do is very easy and was detailed fairly well above. Not really sure I'd go w/ Lubuntu, but it's as good an "old hardware" distro as any...

Provide some details on your hardware first...

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 05-15-2010 at 11:36..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:53   #4
Big Dog Dad

Specs added-

Thanks, Indy Gun Freak,

It's got a Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz
512 MB DDR memory, and a 64 MB nVidia GE Force 1 MX graphics card.

I think it'll be a good learning experience (or something else to frustrate me), but I think I want to give it a try.

-=BDD=-
Old 05-15-2010, 13:02   #5
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Thanks, Indy Gun Freak,

It's got a Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz
512 MB DDR memory, and a 64 MB nVidia GE Force 1 MX graphics card.

I think it'll be a good learning experience (or something else to frustrate me), but I think I want to give it a try.

-=BDD=-

That computer will be fine. Download the CD I linked. It's Ubuntu with a lightweight desktop that runs faster than regular Ubuntu and requires fewer resources. It gives up no functionality. You would find regular Ubuntu marginally slow on that computer. The programs and functions are all exactly the same. The regular Ubuntu desktop is heavier and slower but it is has no more functionality than Lubuntu. I think your graphics card may be a Geforce 2. Some of the older Nvidia cards require older Linux drivers than the default but I think the latest one has been updated to work with the older cards too. It might only be an issue if you choose the 3d drivers anyway. The installed drivers will be 2d only.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 13:25   #6
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist

IGF sent me a few PM's on how and what to install, I have not done it yet but he was a great source for information and a lot of help.

I still don't know what half the stuff is he told me about because I am a computer idiot.

Paulie
GlocksterPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 13:34   #7
southsnow

For your first linux install, I would suggest going with stock garden variety Ubuntu, as the user base is so large, any question you have you will be able to google. Spend some time at Ubuntuforums.

Don't be put off by the command line. It's not really necessary for most things these days, but if you can learn it when you're not having a problem, it can be your best friend when you are.
Old 05-15-2010, 14:35   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlocksterPaulie View Post
IGF sent me a few PM's on how and what to install, I have not done it yet but he was a great source for information and a lot of help.

I still don't know what half the stuff is he told me about because I am a computer idiot.

Paulie
LOL.. well all you had to do was send me some questions and I'd have answered them..

Quote:
Ubuntu Minimum System requirements: Ubuntu Desktop (GUI) Installation

* 1 GHz x86 processor
* 512 MiB of system memory (RAM)
* 5 GB of disk space
* Graphics card and monitor capable of 1024x768
* CD-ROM drive
* Sound support
* Internet access
The OP's machine should run a standard Ubuntu install and I would suggest going that route.

BigDog..
First, you need a blank CDR or RW, since I'm assuming that machine will probably not boot a USB device.

2nd you need to download the 32bit ISO image Ubuntu... It's around 699mb.
http://osmirrors.cerias.purdue.edu/p...sktop-i386.iso

Here's a link to the Torrent file for the ISO, if you understand torrents(It will download quite a bit quicker)
http://releases.ubuntu.com/10.04/ubu...86.iso.torrent

After it's done downloading, you need to burn the ISO as an image to the CD. If you don't know how to do that, follow the instructions on the link below.. If you don't know how to burn an ISO on your CD Burning application, the "ISO Recorder Power Toy" tool linked in the instructions below, is free, and very good.
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm

After that, it's simply setting your PC to boot and check the CD Rom before the hard drive, and then you'll get a menu asking you to try Ubuntu. Let it boot, it will detect your hardware, then assuming all is detected well, you can use the OS from the CD, just like you would if it was installed. Use this opportunity to test your hardware(sound, internet connection, etc..)

Try that, see if you run into any problems on the Live CD, then see if you think it's right to try and install it.

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 05-24-2010 at 12:10..
Old 05-16-2010, 04:41   #9
Big Dog Dad

I want to thank you folks for the info, but back to the first part of my question. Any good suggestions on "TOTALLY" erasing, sanitizing the hard drive before I start. It has become an obsession obviously!

-=BDD=-
Old 05-16-2010, 06:32   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
I want to thank you folks for the info, but back to the first part of my question. Any good suggestions on "TOTALLY" erasing, sanitizing the hard drive before I start. It has become an obsession obviously!

-=BDD=-
Of course, but you're still going to have to do everything I put in post #8, whether you "dual boot" or format the whole drive for Linux. It would be a bit silly to just install the OS w/o testing your hardware.. that's what the Live CD's are for..

As for "Totally erasing the hard drive"... When you start the install process, it'll ask you a series of questions(keyboard, time zone, etc.) then it will come to the partition stage, where it asks you to split the drives into partitions for Linux. There is an option there to "Take over an entire Hard Drive"... Choose that option, and choose the hard drive you want to take over(pay very close attention if you have two hard drives).

Once you make that selection, hit Next, and you'll be asked a few more questions. After that, the installer will completely format the drive, and set it up w/ a Linux filesystem and install Ubuntu.

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 05-16-2010 at 06:38..
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20   #11
Big Dog Dad

Thanks again IGF,

I got everything downloaded and up and running on the old Compaq. I'll have to say, it's an interesting learning experience. Now it's just a matter of "forgetting" where everything is under XP and clicking and learning and clicking and learning, and on and on...... Thanks again!
Old 05-24-2010, 12:14   #12
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Thanks again IGF,

I got everything downloaded and up and running on the old Compaq. I'll have to say, it's an interesting learning experience. Now it's just a matter of "forgetting" where everything is under XP and clicking and learning and clicking and learning, and on and on...... Thanks again!
This might help(It's based on Ubuntu 8.10, but there's really not much different in how stuff works in 10.04)...

http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html

It's very extensive and thorough(and 150 pages)... Most won't read all the way through it. Since you're installed, presumably have your hardware set up, are online, You're probably most of the way through the first 3 chapters. Chapter 4 has some good info, but much of it will be greek, so you can skim through it, and come back to it if you need to. Chapter 5, I would skip for now....

Chapter 6, is a good one to read and understand. It goes over how to use the package manager, Searching available packages w/ Synaptic, using Synaptic to install those packages and programs, etc. I would personally avoid using command line while you're new, unless it's an absolute necessity(and most of the time, it won't be)...

Need any further help, feel free to ask.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:31   #13
Big Dog Dad

Up and running Linux Lite, now the internet!

Again, Thanks IGF!!

I've been away from it for a few days and now I'd like to get a web connection up and running. I'm on Comcast broadband and am drawing a complete blank. The one caveat that XP had was that it recognized new hardware and would guide you through it. Anything similar in Ubuntu?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:45   #14
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Again, Thanks IGF!!

I've been away from it for a few days and now I'd like to get a web connection up and running. I'm on Comcast broadband and am drawing a complete blank. The one caveat that XP had was that it recognized new hardware and would guide you through it. Anything similar in Ubuntu?
For the record, this is why I suggested booting the live CD and TESTING your hardware.... You said "everything was up and running".. so I assumed your internet was working as well..

Need more information about how your connecting... You say you're on "Comcast Broadband".....

1. Are you hooked up through just the modem?
2. Are you hooked up to the modem through Cat6, USB cable to modem, or USB wireless device? USB Modems are a PITA, USB Wireless devices can be.
3. Make model of your modem, and if you have one, your router.

IGF