Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:32   #1
F_G

930SPX Updates?

I ordered my 930SPX a month and a half ago and still haven't received it. It's not like I'm in a hurry or anything, but it got me to wondering whether Mossberg might have suspended production to address all the "issues" they've had.

It seems all the errornet chatter is close to 50/50. "It's the best shotgun I've ever owned", "80,000 rounds and I haven't even cleaned it yet" on the other side, "Handles full power 00 fine, but won't reliably cycle Walmart stuff", "Fell apart in my hands when I took it out of the box", "Front sight soldered on the bottom of the barrel".

I know a few have them here, Mixflip did a very good evaluation. So how has your 930 held up? You guys should have combined for several thousand rounds by now. Let me hear what you think after living with the beast for awhile.

Why am I so enamored with this shotgun? First off I've never been much of a Mossberg fan. But I shoot lefthanded and an auto shotgun with a tang mounted safety entrigues me. I have an 870P and Benelli M1 Super 90, but both have trigger guard mounted safeties. I have the 870 switched to left hand, but it worries me when my kids or friends use the gun that they are walking around with the safety off, and heaven forbid they need it for a "situation" and flick the safety on, instead of off, rendering it useless.

So what say ye 930 owners? Yea or nay?

F_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44   #2
AC45ACP

Well I have around 275 rds threw mine and only 4 FTE and those were on Winchester target loads from walmart 7.5 and #8 shot and the all happend after 50 plus rds shot down range. 00 and slugs went 100% and 96+% on cheap target ammo works for me!
I have a few pics on another thead if you look it up I have a picture of a target that I got two head shots in a 100yds standing. pretty quick I would say both shots in under 2 seconds. So I'm happy with mine so far.
I may change the Camo
DPS/BCI/NRA Certified Instructor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by AC45ACP; 05-17-2010 at 07:46..
AC45ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:15   #3
frankr

Iíve hit the 1,000 shell mark through my 930 SPX with out one malfunction. Iíve shot my share of 1 oz slugs and 9 pellet 00 buck, but most of the shells Iíve put through my 930 SPX are the 100 shell Remington target load vale park from Wal-Mart. As far as Iím concerned for the money you can not beat the 930 SPX. At our 2 gun matches my 930 SPX has functioned as good if not better than shotguns two and three times more than what I paid for 930 SPX.
Old 05-17-2010, 21:01   #4
F_G

AC45ACP & frankr, thanks for the replies. But are you 2 the only guys using and abusing this particular weapon? I know I've seen more than 2 guys discussing this shotgun. What has been your experience up to now?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:05   #5
frankr

There are a number of 930 SPX owners on GT that having nothing but good things to say about their 930 SPX. mixflip has a number of reviews and instructional video’s about his gun on Youtube. Most of the problems with the 930 SPX you may have heard about were do to the owner not knowing the gun. First thing after you receive your gun is to read the owners manual and review mixflip’s video on field stripping and reassembly of the 930 SPX. During this process give the gun a good cleaning. By now you will be familiar enough to go to the range. Start of with some high brass hunting loads, then a few 00 buck to feel the recoil. Then load her up with some low brass Dove loads or target loads and have fun. I shoot the Remington value pack or Remington Dove loads from Wal-Mart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKpNy2AZzN4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vclvn...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNb...eature=related

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited by frankr; 05-18-2010 at 08:27..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:19   #6
skynyrd1911

Send a message via ICQ to skynyrd1911
I've had mine awhile now and it has functioned almost flawlessly. I have only put about 300 rounds through it to date. The only shells that I had ANY problem with was some Winchester military surplus buckshot. OD green hulls in plain brown boxes. I have fired Winchester high brass, Remington economy shells #6's from WalMart, Federal 00 buck, and Winchester "RackMaster" slugs. The RackMasters are designed to be used with a smoothbore or rifled barrel. The military surplus 00 buck empies hung up a couple of times ejecting. Not bad just plucked them out with my finger. May shoot it some more after reading this thread.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:46   #7
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynyrd1911 View Post
I've had mine awhile now and it has functioned almost flawlessly. I have only put about 300 rounds through it to date. The only shells that I had ANY problem with was some Winchester military surplus buckshot. OD green hulls in plain brown boxes. I have fired Winchester high brass, Remington economy shells #6's from WalMart, Federal 00 buck, and Winchester "RackMaster" slugs. The RackMasters are designed to be used with a smoothbore or rifled barrel. The military surplus 00 buck empies hung up a couple of times ejecting. Not bad just plucked them out with my finger. May shoot it some more after reading this thread.
The only home defense shells I keep in my gun our the ones I know will function 100%. Remington 00 buck or Winchester 00 buck for my home defense. I also know the patter I will get with the rounds at a number of determined distances within my house. All other shells are for fun shooting. Keep shooting and stay safe.

Last edited by frankr; 05-18-2010 at 08:58..
frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:08   #8
mixflip

Hey FG, I think with any new firearm product you will have some growing pains with first run models. I have heard of the slight off kilter front sight issue on a few first run models. From what I have read Mossberg identified the issue at the factory and rectified it immediately and if you accidentally get one they ship you the fixed product asap? From what I heard anyways? I have also heard that if you look at it from the muzzle you can actually spot the defect in the gun shop before you buy it? You just have to be diligent and meticulous.

On reliability of shooting cheap low brass ammo? Mine has ran cheap ammo like a water. (I should pattent that phrase since I use it so much when talking about my 930 lol)

I know Frank has also had great results with cheap ammo so my data says we got a good gun. If a 930 isnt running right all I can say is, did you clean it properly before breaking it in? Or are you shooting it from the hip or over your head with cheap ammo? The 930 does need a solid shoulder to recoil off of with low brass birdshot ammo. With 00-buck it should cycle from any position? Almost any semi-auto shotgun needs that though and its not just a 930 issue.

The sights! OMG, they are awesome for long shots. I will never claim to be a great shooter but the GRS made me hit stuff at 75 yards with a slug with ease. One of my videos shows me hitting a 2x6 plank at about 75 yards without zeroing the factory sight. I am sure not all 930's are that good out of the box but mine was so thats what I reported in my review. I dont think I could do that as easily with my bead sight 590. Realistically I will not being taking long shots with my shotgun but at least I have the option in a SHTF scenario to drop in a slug and take one if I need one? The option is nice and a shotgun is probably the king of versatility.

I'll do an update/progress review video probably this weekend since I am creeping up on 1000 rounds myself. This time I'll try some run & gun stuff with some weapons transitions, shooting from odd angles, reloads and verbal commands to some imaginary bad guys???

Last edited by mixflip; 05-18-2010 at 12:22..
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 16:48   #9
AC45ACP

Well Went to the Range the other day and shot a few slugs and about 50rds of winchester 7 1/2 shot target loads. I had two FTE once again sprayed a little Remoil in the chamber and She was GTG. I also ran that thing now stop for over 50rds of Bird shot and 00 buck and about 15 slugs before I had the FTE. The slugs and 00 Buck run flawless So I'm happy with that, because thats
how it sits..

Mixflip,
I love the Video's I watched them about 50 times before they finally convinced me to Buy a SPX!!

The 223 holes are form my buddy sighting in his Aimpoint. The slugs Hit a little high and the second one a little right, But not bad from 100yrds with the point of aim at the top of the 8 ring and standing, (off hand).... I'm not the Best shot in the world, but Slugs in the head of the target at 100yd mark standing makes me love this gun even more!!

Here Piggy, Piggy..........

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by AC45ACP; 05-18-2010 at 17:09..
Old 05-18-2010, 18:42   #10
mixflip

Some guns may need more break in than others maybe? Interfacing metals do get better in time usually. Hopefully thats all it is?
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 20:04   #11
F_G

Hopefully I get as lucky as Mixflip and Frank. Thanks for the insight guys.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:08   #12
frankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by F_G View Post
Hopefully I get as lucky as Mixflip and Frank. Thanks for the insight guys.
F_G the more you shoot the better your gun will function. The next time you take it to the range stop by Wal-Mart and for around $25.00 pick up a box of the Remington 100 shell value pack. My 930 SPX will eat them all day.

Good Luck and Stay Safe
Old 05-19-2010, 07:00   #13
F_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankr View Post
F_G the more you shoot the better your gun will function. The next time you take it to the range stop by Wal-Mart and for around $25.00 pick up a box of the Remington 100 shell value pack. My 930 SPX will eat them all day.

Good Luck and Stay Safe
Well, it won't be the next trip, but my first trip. I didn't actually have my SPX yet, but I picked one up last night from a local guy supposedly NIB and it looks it. Long story short, this was a new replacement from Mossberg after his original made 4 or 5 trips back to Mossberg and still wouldn't function, he was so disenchanted he didn't want to risk another dissappointment. Oh well, his loss, my gain (I hope). Probably won't be able to get it out until Memorial Day weekend, I'll post a range report then.

Oh yeah, the best part is I picked it up for $525.

Thanks again for all the helpful insight.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:00   #14
frankr

Sounds like a great deal. Remember give it a good cleaning then a very light coat of good gun oil. Remember to clean the magazine tube.

Good Lock
Old 05-19-2010, 11:12   #15
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I love mine. Like, I got the info / idea / etc from
right here on the shotgun forum of GT, stumbled upon on on Super Bowl Sunday, and it will NEVER get sold / traded / etc.

In fact I like mine so mch i am considering getting my Old Man one for his 60th in a few months. Just for kicks I may grt him a 930 and customize it somehow so we don't have matching boomsticks. It looks like there are some 930 options /
models available.

In fact I like mine so mich I want another mossberg 500/590 just on general principle.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 18:33   #16
m24shooter

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum...930-SPX-Review

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns

Tactical Shotguns
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 18:42   #17
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Now I have a far out far fetched question. Is there any such thing as a foreend foregrip/handle/post like for the front end , like AR-15's often have ? Now that would be tacticool!

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 19:03   #18
m24shooter

You could get a railed foreend and put a VFG or something like the Magpul AFG on it. I'm getting ready to do a review on this:

Tactical Shotguns

and you could put one on it. There will be another railed foreend available soon that I am hoping to do a review on as well that is much smaller and lower profile.
m24shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 20:59   #19
F_G

m24shooter, your 930 looks like mine will soon. Rode hard, but well taken care of. Any updates after living with the beast for awhile?

OK first issue with mine after I got it all cleaned and lubed up. Can only get 6 shells in the magazine. 7th will go almost all the way, but just misses clearing the shell stop by maybe a 1/16 of an inch. Magazine spring seems inordinately long. Any ideas before I tear into it?

Old 05-19-2010, 21:22   #20
AC45ACP

M24shooter,
Is that the bulldozer rail!?
I need one I just can't bring myself to drop
$399 for a SD shotgun