Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:34   #1
unit 900

Want to try Ubuntu: Cd won't boot

I decided to try Ubuntu, finally. I downloaded the .iso and burned it to a cd. I changed the boot order and tried to fire up my older HP Pavilion dv500 with Vista Pro. I get a square box with the following:

err 6
ip43F4 F.7

I tried hitting escape and got:

Boot:

Any thoughts? I'll try another download and burn in case that may be the issue. I plan to try it as a 'live cd' to see if it's something I can learn and use.

Last edited by unit 900; 05-17-2010 at 09:36..
unit 900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:41   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit 900 View Post
I decided to try Ubuntu, finally. I downloaded the .iso and burned it to a cd. I changed the boot order and tried to fire up my older HP Pavilion dv500 with Vista Pro. I get a square box with the following:

err 6
ip43F4 F.7

I tried hitting escape and got:

Boot:

Any thoughts? I'll try another download and burn in case that may be the issue. I plan to try it as a 'live cd' to see if it's something I can learn and use.
How did you burn the CD? Did you download the current 10.04 cd?

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 10:03   #3
unit 900

10-4, downloaded the Desktop 10.04 for 32 bit Windows. I used Ashampoo to burn the .iso to a cd.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:34   #4
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
10-4, downloaded the Desktop 10.04 for 32 bit Windows. I used Ashampoo to burn the .iso to a cd.
Did you burn it as an image? I've never saw that error.. ever. Tried Googling it, and it only comes up w/ this thread... CONGRATS!

IGF
Old 05-17-2010, 14:10   #5
unit 900

Well, I downloaded the image again and burned it with Roxio. I got past the Ubuntu splash screen with this disk. I eventualy wound up with a black screen, with a hollow white "X" that could be moved around with the touch pad like a cursor. Never got past that. My son is a computer engineer (offshore just now) and I found an older Ubuntu 7.4 disk he had stashed away. This version allowed me to boot and gave me the GUI. I had no idea how to get my wireless to work, so other than looking at the Firefox 'unable to connect' screen, I was not doing much. The older version did boot up fully as a live cd. I've no idea why the newest version will not. Am I stuck with Windows forever?
Old 05-17-2010, 15:22   #6
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Well, I downloaded the image again and burned it with Roxio. I got past the Ubuntu splash screen with this disk. I eventualy wound up with a black screen, with a hollow white "X" that could be moved around with the touch pad like a cursor. Never got past that. My son is a computer engineer (offshore just now) and I found an older Ubuntu 7.4 disk he had stashed away. This version allowed me to boot and gave me the GUI. I had no idea how to get my wireless to work, so other than looking at the Firefox 'unable to connect' screen, I was not doing much. The older version did boot up fully as a live cd. I've no idea why the newest version will not. Am I stuck with Windows forever?
7.04 is well past it's supported life, so I wouldn't think of trying to install that.

How long did you let it set at the "White X" before restarting? That's usually what comes up right before it gets to the desktop. The Live CD's take time to boot, since they are usually detecting/setting up hardware, etc.. so that the OS can be used from the CD.

If the 7.04 CD worked, this strongly suggests there's likely a problem w/ your CD, or your burn software. What type of Media are you using? Sometimes RW media can be a bit hinky w/ burning ISOs.

Also, at what speed are you burning the ISO's? Generally speaking, the slower the better. I rarely burn my ISO's at faster than 4x, yeah it takes longer, but I've yet to end up w/ coasters.

IIRC, that dv5000, comes w/ a Broadcom wireless device, so the chances of getting it working on the Live CD(even if the Live CD comes up) is pretty slim. It will probably work fine once you're installed.

IGF
Old 05-17-2010, 15:52   #7
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Do not use a rewritable CD for an iso. Use a regular CD-R disc.
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 15:55   #8
unit 900

IGF;

Thanks for your thoughts. I was planning to do the live cd rather than an install. The small IDE hard drive has little room left to install another OS. I'll do that when I replace this laptop. I will try and burn the cd at a slower speed and see what happens. The 'white x" was on screen for about 7 minutes before I punched out. I'll play a while. Thanks again
Old 05-17-2010, 16:10   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Broadcom wireless requires a firmware package. It may or may not be on the latest Ubuntu CD. Some people report better results with the Linux Mint CD which based on Ubuntu. Some say it has the same results as the Ubuntu CD. The Knoppix 6.2.1 CD may have it. Some report good results and other say it doesn't work. The firmware package is required so it's either on the CD or it isn't. One live CD with a lot of drivers and firmware that is suppose to work is Puppy Linux. The firmware package required is called "43-fwcutter" (or "bcm43xx-fwcutter" may be the older version) I believe. I haven't checked the CDs' contents to see which, if any, have it.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 05-17-2010 at 18:27..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote