SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:38   #1
Caine

Flanged Ammunition

Mr. Ayoob:

I live in Kentucky and I noticed that the state code here lists additional penalties for the use of "flanged ammunition" in the commission of a crime, specifically ammo with a soft core that is designed to expand upon impact. While this refers to criminal acts only, a question comes to mind - would Ranger T be considered flanged ammunition? Have you ever come across this issue before? If it is flanged ammo, it would seem that Golden Saber and others could be roped into the same category.

I appreciate your expertise. Please comment on this issue.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:47   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

You stumped me with that one, Caine. I had never even heard the term "flanged ammunition" until your post.

I consulted with Bren, a Glock Talk regular. Bren is an attorney who works in the criminal justice area in Kentucky, and I consider him Glock Talk's resident expert on Kentucky law. He confirms that the law exists.

I get the impression that it was a legislative knee-jerk reaction to the Black Talon controversy back in the Nineties. Bren's take is: don't worry about it. The law as written makes it an additional crime to use such ammunition while committing another crime, explains Bren, and does not prohibit the possession, carry, or use of this ammunition.

What it does do is piggyback another conviction on you, should you be wrongfully convicted after using your gun in self-defense. In that situation, of course, you'd have a lot more to worry about. For my part, I'll continue to carry Ranger-T in my 9mm, or Ranger-T or HST in my .45, when passing through Kentucky.

Many thanks to Bren for the consult and the wise advice, and thanks to Caine for bringing it up. I learned something here.

best to all,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:27   #3
Caine

Thanks to Mas

Mas,
I really appreciate your help and Bren's on getting to the bottom of this issue. I realize you went to a considerable amount of trouble in answering this question, and I thank you.

I am not a native of KY, but I get the feeling that the authorities in this state are generally fair with armed citizens who behave in a reasonable manner. A man with extensive background in this state recently told me he was not aware of any cases where a person legitimately acted in self-defense in KY and was later railroaded by the system. That is encouraging. Thus, I'll stick with Ranger-T also.

Mas, you're the best.

Caine
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote