Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2010, 19:17   #1
Rains on Parades

SD calibers

So, I had always been a .45acp or .357 mag man when it came to SD. In theory I accepted that .38 special was the smallest SD round that was acceptable. But really, for my purposes I shied away from even .40 S&W. But then in my normal internet perusings I ran into some writing by a guy named Chuck Hawks. And he mentioned studies done by some fellows by the name of Marshall and Sanow. Who I have also heard you mention. A long with some other things I've seen, I'm all topsy-turvy now.

Would you say that despite all of the foo-fa-rah, that statistics support that you should consider yourself well heeled if you are carrying .38 special, 9x19, .40 S&W, .45 acp, .357 mag as long as you are loading with the proper defense round in the correct firearm?

And if that is true what would you say are the arguments for choosing the .45 acp over the other rounds when you are sacrificing size of firearm as well as capacity?

I'm not asking for you to prove to me what cartridge is best. I know that can't be done definitively. Just looking for a few thoughts on the matter.
Rains on Parades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 22:39   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

"I know that can't be done definitively" is the operative term in your post, methinks.

FWIW, I think .38 Special and 9mm can be good to go...with the best loads. The smaller the caliber, the more selective the user has to be to get ammo with a proven track record of stopping fights quickly with solid hits. This is a definite concern when ammo is scarce, as it is now.

The more powerful rounds are more forgiving, and there are more ammo choices for them that have good track records.

9mm is absolutely easier to shoot and train with than .45 ACP, and will offer more concealable packages. On the other hand, there are some circumstances under which any hollow point can plug, turning the bullet into flat nose ball. If my bullet is going to turn into ball, I want it to turn into BIG ball.

Best of luck with your choice,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 23:54   #3
Rains on Parades

Yah, I wasn't expecting your answer to settle once and for all the great caliber debate. But after the reading I had done, I was looking at my H&K .45 wondering if I had sacrificed capacity and convenience for naught.

Should it come to a choice between lethality and capacity, I would choose lethality every time. I was just starting to feel as if that was a choice that didn't have to be made and that perhaps I had took my lumps where I didn't have to.

Truthfully the only rough part about training with .45acp for me is the injury to my wallet.
Rains on Parades is offline   Reply With Quote