Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-18-2010, 18:15   #1
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

I think I screwed up BOTH my boomsticks barrels today randomly/seperately ?

First, on my Benelli Supernova, I was taking it out, and giving it a nice little cleaning. Bought a new boresnake so I figured what the hell, then wiped down all over with RemOil w/ Teflon wipes. I somehow bumped the wall with the barrel. Now there's white "Scratches?" on a part of the barrel. It looks like the white paint from the wall, but THEY WILL NOT COME OUT. I rubbed/buffed/polished with the remoil wipes, nothing. Did I actually scratch the barrel etc? Is there anything to do/ is it dangerous/will it rust etc.?

Next, I take out the Mossberg 930 SPX for a similar slight light cleaning. As some of you may know I have a custom Choate Machine & Tool magazine extension , and when they made that for me they sent me a nice little "clamp" that has a sling attachment /swivel. Well when "reinstalling/reattaching" the clamp, it looks like I scratched both the extension and the barrel. And of course it looks like I *really* scratched it... What does that mean, I removed the bluing from it? Sheeeit. Is there anything I can do or need to do?

What are the odds both boomsticks, both barrels, same day. Only to me.

ScrappyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 18:19   #2
CharlestonG26

Don't drink and clean guns.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." Mahatma Gandhi
CharlestonG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 18:24   #3
marlinfan

My shotguns spend many days a year in the woods, tree stands, etc, there's more scratches than original finish on a few of them.
Old 05-18-2010, 18:29   #4
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonG26 View Post
Don't drink and clean guns.
Thanks a lot Dad but I have already learned that lesson. I was straight sober, sober as a mouse, as I presently am, sorry to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfan View Post
My shotguns spend many days a year in the woods, tree stands, etc, there's more scratches than original finish on a few of them.
Cool cool, and it means that it's okay for the actual "finish" etc. its not gonna rust or anything provided I take a decent care of them? and thanks for the info/encouragement mah brahtha.

Old 05-18-2010, 18:40   #5
mixflip

Thats too bad you scuffed up you rnew boomsticks but liek previously noted, they will eventually get character marks just like a skateboard or tennis shoes or a hammer. They all get scuffed when used eventually. Only safe queens stay pristine.

I have no idea what exactly happened but as long as you treat the exposed metal to prevent rust then I wouldnt feel too bad about the scuffs.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 18:58   #6
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Thats too bad you scuffed up you rnew boomsticks but liek previously noted, they will eventually get character marks just like a skateboard or tennis shoes or a hammer. They all get scuffed when used eventually. Only safe queens stay pristine.

I have no idea what exactly happened but as long as you treat the exposed metal to prevent rust then I wouldnt feel too bad about the scuffs.

A little oil ( like from the wipes I like to use, I like to actually use both Hoppe's Oil field wipes and then another pass with RemOil w/ Teflon wipes) will that work to "treat" the metal brothaman?

I also have plenty of actual Hoppe's oil AND the hoppe's spray stuff and RemOil spray stuff if that would be better?

Old 05-18-2010, 20:12   #7
jp 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyDoo View Post
It looks like the white paint from the wall, but THEY WILL NOT COME OUT. I rubbed/buffed/polished with the remoil wipes, nothing. Did I actually scratch the barrel etc? Is there anything to do/ is it dangerous/will it rust etc.?
i would try my favorite bore solvent maybe some simple green or maybe a wee bit o paint thinner... the rem wipes are only oiling the mark not cleaning it....

"if guns kills people, then my pencil mis-spells words"
jp 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 21:17   #8
CitizenOfDreams

Clumsy people like us should just get used to scratches.
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 21:43   #9
mixflip

Maybe a dab of cold blue will better protect the barrel than constantly coating with rem oil? Of course keeping it clean and oiled will always prevent rust either way.
mixflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 22:57   #10
method

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp 19 View Post
i would try my favorite bore solvent maybe some simple green or maybe a wee bit o paint thinner... the rem wipes are only oiling the mark not cleaning it....
Try that, maybe use an old toothbrush to get some scrubbing action.
method is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:52   #11
vafish

The white mark is probably paint, try scratching it off with your fingernail.

The actual scratch in the metal, try some cold blue on it. Should cover it pretty well.

Get one of the Birchwood Casey blue touch up pens.

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/...yID=1&subcat=5

Or just learn to live with scratches.
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:46   #12
hasselbach

Drink more, once you drink enough it won't matter.

(clean your guns in a padded room from now on)
hasselbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:03   #13
Spiffums
I.C.P.

Just sling em down the driveway and get over it. As long as they were flawless when you bought them....... then the fit and finish now doesn't matter.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:15   #14
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

All sound advice and advisement from wise sages lol

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08   #15
Dmeister

If it's paint, you can try gently rubbing with a pencil eraser directly on the white mark and see if it comes off. No guarantee that it won't strip the blue off too, though.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:27   #16
David Armstrong

Quote:
Is there anything I can do or need to do?
There is plenty you can do, up to and including refinishing them. But what you need to do is recognize that working guns get honest scratches, dings, and assorted boo-boos on them that they wear with pride to show other guns they aren't safe queens.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 05-20-2010 at 08:33..
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 13:14   #17
jp 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafish View Post

Get one of the Birchwood Casey blue touch up pens.
AKA: magic marker...

"if guns kills people, then my pencil mis-spells words"
jp 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 16:01   #18
GAFinch

Supernova: I've gotten paint scuffed on my shotgun before. Regular gun solvent will get it off with no effort. Wipe the excess solvent off afterward. You really need to have some of that in your cleaning kit.
GAFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 14:49   #19
teumessian_fox

I know how you feel.

I sent a Colt back to the factory for warranty work and they scratched the slide.

Doesn't hurt performance but is irritating that it's there.

My advice is just use the heck out of them so that you've got so many field dings and scratches, what you just did, will be insignificant.
teumessian_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 15:45   #20
ScrappyDoo
Tacticool brah!

Thanks again to everyone... I really was worried it was more of a PROBLEM than it was cosmetic... Trust me, I'm not exactly the most good looking guy in the world and I've got me plenty of battle scars, I can live with em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
There is plenty you can do, up to and including refinishing them. But what you need to do is recognize that working guns get honest scratches, dings, and assorted boo-boos on them that they wear with pride to show other guns they aren't safe queens.

Seriously man. I understand. You have a PHd and you are in a position of power. but seriously. PLEASE , no one wants to hear you talk down to people in your typical constant condescending manner. Due to the fact you are as highly educated and experienced as you claim, you OBVIOUSLY realize you're doing it, so the question is WHY? You constantly degraded, denounce, argue, use pejorative explanations in your posts, and it's getting redonkulous . The guy who is one here who is a business man, I could care less , I just won't patronize his business, and he constantly posts that it's okay he could care less, and his website is devoted to explanations of how he doesn't care , if you piss him off on the phone he'll just go Soup errr Shotgun Nazi on you and say "No Shotgun for you!!!" Whatever, his business, his deal. I'm gonna buy my 34 year, retired police Captain dad a shotgun for his 60th birthday, and I just wont get it from him. But you? Why? You keep on talking like a doosh. OK we get it you have a PHD. But there is a saying I was explained a long time ago, some people around here (particularly the Shotgun board) should take heed.... If enough ppl tell you you're drunk, lie the ****** down and go to sleep. If enough ppl tell you you're an arrogant condescending doosh, you might just be talking like it.

What the hell do I know, I'm only a consumer who votes with my wallet and has been raised by a famous LEO.