Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:47   #1
u084708

Sticky magazines in new Kahr P9

I have a new Kahr P9 (Black Diamond finish, night sites) that I like so far - I've not shot it yet), but the magazines don't drop free. They drop about an inch or so and then hang up. It's not a big deal to me but I'm wondering if it's something that will loosen up with time. The standard mag never drops free while the extended magazine will drop free about half the time. Thanks in advance!

Kent
u084708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 17:49   #2
OldLincoln

Mine loosened up.
OldLincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 19:55   #3
ripley16

Kahr mags are not made to be drop-free. That's not to say one won't fall from time to time, but normally you'll have to pull it out.
ripley16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 16:31   #4
Patchman
Florist

Have a total of 5 mags with my K9. Four drops free but one sticks. I've used it at the range for the past 3 years or so and it's not gotten any better. It's marked so I never mistakenly use it as my CCW.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 05-30-2010 at 16:33..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:35   #5
jpshaw

The original NML Glock mags were designed NOT to drop free but down just enough for you to grab it.
#14 .40 Club and Bayou Club
#114 Kahr and G1 Niners Club
jpshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 13:15   #6
OldLincoln

How I Got my Mags to Drop Free

The text below is from a thread on KahrTalk regarding this same subject. I took on the task of fixing my PM9 and now the mags drop free.
-----------------
I tore down my PM9 and worked on the mag slide ridges in the Mag well. I started by cutting a slice of wet/dry 500 grit sandpaper about 1" wide and wrapped it over a mag that fit looser than others and worked it until it felt looser (not "loose"). I think that's a good way to do it as the mag puts pressure where it needs to go.

Now 2 of my 3 mags drop free without any drag. The third will if I use two thumbs and push like all heck on the mag release. So I definitely need to remove the mag catch and refine it. I gave up after 100 tries to get that @#$%#@ catch leaf spring out of the release. I finally found a good thread with nice pics on Glock Talk's Kahr Club: P45 Repair - Glock Talk Apparently I need to buy yet another tool - a dental pick for the sole reason to remove the mag catch this one time in my entire life! Sigh... at least I'm not getting a $400 port job.
---------------

Other discoveries...

1. Did you know the top of the mags flare out a bit? All my mags want to drag at that point. Not much but still a drag. I put a straight edge along the side of the mags with a light behind it and there it is. I wonder if that is the cause of mags leaking rounds in the pocket. Anyway, if my sensi's agree, I'll block the inside of the mag where the second round goes and squeeze the top inward about a millimeter.

2. Mags of same size are still different. I have 3 mags and each fits in the mag well differently. In my case I have a baby bear fit - nice and loose, papa bear - fits tight and mama bear that fits just right. I decided to kinda polish all mags so I sanded them with 500 grit paper and was surprised how smooth they came with little effort. Naturally I took them apart and cleaned them after.
----------------

Another thought re mags hanging. After I removed the mag catch, I slid mags into the mag well. Although hanging with mag release installed, mine were completely free when removed. I think that tells the story right there. I suggest that anybody serious about freeing up mag drop AND comfortable removing the catch do this before any work on the mag rails inside the well. I found that no matter how much sanding, the mags were not free until I modded the catch. I now wonder if sanding was needed at all.

Also, I encourage those who will do this to first get a dental pick (the metal thing with a sharp hook that the dentist uses to hurt you). Walmart and Walgreens carry them.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:15   #7
user
VaLegalDefense

All I had to do was to take the mags apart, degrease and clean everything, lubricate 'em and put 'em back together.
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 17:14   #8
OldLincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
All I had to do was to take the mags apart, degrease and clean everything, lubricate 'em and put 'em back together.
Some guns stick and some don't. Seems to be the "luck of the draw".