SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-20-2010, 20:38   #1
WoodenPlank
Who?

Picked up a used Glock 32...

I had been interested in a .357 SIG pistol for some time now, and I managed to get my hands on a used 32 that looked to be in great shape. It is a May 98 3rd Gen model.
I have two questions about it. While I have never considered myself recoil sensitive (.38+P from an airweight, .45 and 9mm +P+ have never really bothered me), the .357 recoil is quite... abusive. Short of porting the barrel and slide (since this is going to become a second EDC gun, that seems to be a bad idea), what can I do to help cut down on the recoil? A heavier recoil spring seems the first option, but I have no idea what the standard weight in this pistol is, or how heavy I can go before reliability become an issue. Are there other options, as well?

My second question relates to the sights. I received the pistol with a set of Heine sights (already installed) that appear to be the Heine Classic Glock style. At the range, I was consistently hitting low, as much as 3 inches, even at very close range (3-5 yards). Is it possible the sights are that far off, or is it more likely to be an issue with the pistol itself? It does appear that the front sight post is quite tall, but that could be my eyes playing tricks on me.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 21:55   #2
JR
GT Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to JR Send a message via Yahoo to JR
The 357 develops a lot of recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle rise.....compleatly characteristic of this cartridge. It is actually WORSE in the sub-compact frame. Changing recoil springs is not going to be as noticeable as you hope it to be. More range time would most likely suit you better. Yah, its ugly and now you need to get used to it.

Your rear sight should be a 6.5 or also called +0. Measure the front sight, it should be .160 to top. If not, swap them out.
Old 05-21-2010, 22:04   #3
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
The 357 develops a lot of recoil, muzzle blast and muzzle rise.....compleatly characteristic of this cartridge. It is actually WORSE in the sub-compact frame. Changing recoil springs is not going to be as noticeable as you hope it to be. More range time would most likely suit you better. Yah, its ugly and now you need to get used to it.

Your rear sight should be a 6.5 or also called +0. Measure the front sight, it should be .160 to top. If not, swap them out.
If I am measuring right (Im using a cheap tape measure, unfortunately, and not something more precise), then the front sight is coming out to just over .18 from the top of the slide to the top of the front sight post. Looks like its time to either break out the dremel or find a shorter front sight. Thanks for the help. Now I just need more ammo so I can start practicing.
Old 05-21-2010, 22:20   #4
JR
GT Sponsor

Pick up a standard plastic front sight and see if it does the job? If so, go with the 6.5 set
I prefer the 6.5 or +0 sights on the Sig pistols but have noticed sometimes they are issued with 6.9 or +1 sights.
The actual impact difference should be about 3 inches at 15 to 20 yds so this will give you something to go by
Old 05-21-2010, 22:37   #5
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Pick up a standard plastic front sight and see if it does the job? If so, go with the 6.5 set
I prefer the 6.5 or +0 sights on the Sig pistols but have noticed sometimes they are issued with 6.9 or +1 sights.
The actual impact difference should be about 3 inches at 15 to 20 yds so this will give you something to go by
I will see what I can find. The center of my group was coming in about 3 inches low even at 3-5 yards, but seemed to be about the same offset at 20 yards. Very strange. Maybe its operator error on my part, but this is the first Glock I have shot in nearly 10 years. I figure Im allowed at least a little leeway.
Old 05-22-2010, 16:08   #6
WoodenPlank
Who?

I picked up a Glock factory front sight from one of the local gun stores today, and the sight picture is already MUCH improved. I can definitely see a difference. Hopefully I can get to the range soon and confirm the POI change. Thanks for all the help, JR.
Old 05-23-2010, 20:51   #7
JR
GT Sponsor

If you picked up the plastic FS you can go to the range to prove POI. Once you prove POI you can swap out the plastic for a good steel sight by AmeriGlo or another mfg that offers a factory height of .160