Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2010, 14:52   #1
kilo6echo

My Streamlight TLR-1 with Glock 19 Review

I know that this light has been out for a while but I just wanted to share my thoughts. Thanks for looking.

Heavy-duty, compact, and great design are the thoughts that run through my mind upon un-boxing it. It feels very solid in my hand. For some reason, my caveman instincts kick in and I instantly have the urge to bang it up against something hard to test its solidity. Its exterior is machined aluminum with a black anodized finish. A great feature is that it is designed with a glass and not a plastic lens. Its sealed construction is waterproof up to 1 meter for 30 minutes according to Streamlight’s website.

Sights, Optics and Lasers
Mounting the light is simple thanks to its rail grip clamp system. The side screw appears to be counter-resistant with a wave spring. I am able to quickly mount it without placing my hand in front of the muzzle. It is secured in place by tightening down the thumb screw. No tools are needed to mount the light or to remove it. I find this very useful in regards to weapon takedown and quickly transitioning into a concealed carry role.
The actual light is bright white and not the yellowish incandescent color that you would see with older style flashlights that do not utilize LED technology. The light output is phenomenal and throws a flawless spill beam. Even at 25 feet, in a lit room, the peripheral illumination is optimal. At 7 yards, I have my wife give me a quick hit in the eyes in a lit up room. This little beast has no problem blinding me temporarily. I ask her if she wants to give it whirl, and she replies, “Not right now Hun”. How nice of her to take a rain check. Generally speaking, current battery technology isn’t the greatest. But when paired up with C4 LED technology, the TLR-1 has a run time of 2.5 hours and up to 135 lumens. There TLR-3 model produces 90 lumens but is also more compact and lighter.
In the field, while mounted on 9mm handgun, it performed flawlessly. Testing it while mounted on an AR15 produced zero malfunctions and it was impervious to shock. Transitioning from hand gun to rifle is no problem as it is capable of being mounted on 1913 picatinny rails. The ambidextrous momentary is very smooth while toggling. I have no problems going from momentary, steady on, and off using my strong-hand index finger. Unfortunately, this is most likely not the case under stress as the switch is capable of being toggled on from both sides. Because of this, one could easily make the mistake of trying to toggle it on by swiveling the switch to the momentary on position. Training is key here so practicing all settings, with gun safety in mind of course, is essential for proper deployment. The operation is simple enough, however, that once muscle memory is developed it becomes second nature.

Lastly, I have just a few negatives to report. I notice that during everyday normal rifle manipulation, accidental light discharge is more common than not. It happened to me twice, but could have been avoided with a secondary stand-alone off switch. The bright white lettering on the sides of the TLR-1 is a little flashy for my taste. A simple engraving of the logos and information into the aluminum housing would be sufficient and would give it that subdued look. A more flat finish would also help in avoiding the appearance of powder fouling that stains the top front of the light. I recommend placing a strip of tape over the top of it to avoid this while training. Some claim that the added weight is an issue. In my case, however, it does not throw off my balance and actually helps out my muzzle control. I opted for the non-laser TLR due to added price and simply because I prefer to use and train with sights.

Overall, the TLR-1 is a great target-identifying upgrade for my system.

At 15 feet

At 25 feet

Inner beam still solid at 35 feet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by kilo6echo; 07-24-2010 at 14:35..
kilo6echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 15:16   #2
hogarth

Nice review. I've got one mounted on my G19 most of the time as well. I like it a lot.

I thought about putting tape over the top at the range to keep it from getting so dirty, but then I thought that the muzzle flash/blast could melt the tape a bit and make the glue on the tape tough to get off of the top of the light.
hogarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 15:31   #3
Stuntman_Mike
/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿ ̿

That's much better than the old TLR-1.

I'm coincidentally selling my TLR-1 in a trade just as an excuse to try the new C4 model.

Looks like I won't be let down...

You must be on CPF? If not, they would like the review, and amazon.com would too. Nice write-up with pics.

Two thumbs up.

-Mike
Old 05-22-2010, 20:33   #4
kilo6echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogarth View Post
Nice review. I've got one mounted on my G19 most of the time as well. I like it a lot.

I thought about putting tape over the top at the range to keep it from getting so dirty, but then I thought that the muzzle flash/blast could melt the tape a bit and make the glue on the tape tough to get off of the top of the light.

That's a great point. I have been running a piece of tape over the top for a while now. I have only had one issue. The muzzle blast tried to rip the tape off during rapid fire. All I had to do was press that same piece of tape back on and all was well. I have never had an issue with electrical tape melting as its heat tolerance is pretty high.

Old 05-22-2010, 21:04   #5
dc2integra

nice review
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:43   #6
kilo6echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
That's much better than the old TLR-1.

I'm coincidentally selling my TLR-1 in a trade just as an excuse to try the new C4 model.

Looks like I won't be let down...

You must be on CPF? If not, they would like the review, and amazon.com would too. Nice write-up with pics.

Two thumbs up.

-Mike
Thanks MIke. I will have to check out CPF. I didn't want to get too C4/LED technical in my review but I bet the CPF guys would appreciate the techy stuff.

Last edited by kilo6echo; 05-23-2010 at 11:44..
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51   #7
Troy106

Very nice, I went with the TLR-1s, streamlight makes good stuff

Last edited by Troy106; 05-23-2010 at 11:51..
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 14:07   #8
Chonny

Looks good, nice review, helpful. I just ordered a TLR-1 for my G19.
Old 05-23-2010, 17:59   #9
kilo6echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy106 View Post
Very nice, I went with the TLR-1s, streamlight makes good stuff
Thanks Troy, I am thinking about picking up a TLR-3 C4 LED light next. I hear that its 90 lumens is plenty, it weighs less, and is more compact. Less expensive too.

Old 05-23-2010, 18:47   #10
mister happy
Lefty

Don't think that the shorter TLR-3 will make the lens even with the end of the barrel. They took the length out of the other end - so that the lens is in the same place as the TLR-1 (too far forward for my taste), but there's a gap between the switch and the Glock 19's trigger guard!

What a disappointment that was when I tried it for a better front-end match-up!

I'm waiting for a LED version of Glock's light. And waiting, and waiting....

Last edited by mister happy; 05-23-2010 at 18:52..
mister happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:50   #11
kilo6echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister happy View Post
Don't think that the shorter TLR-3 will make the lens even with the end of the barrel. They took the length out of the other end - so that the lens is in the same place as the TLR-1 (too far forward for my taste), but there's a gap between the switch and the Glock 19's trigger guard!

What a disappointment that was when I tried it for a better front-end match-up!

I'm waiting for a LED version of Glock's light. And waiting, and waiting....
Has anyone confirmed that Glock will be coming out with a LED version?

Old 05-24-2010, 14:14   #12
JohnHoliday

I have a TRL-1 on my G19, and it has been flawless for thousands of round with it, its currently my home defense pistol. I haven't had any problems with accidental lighting it up, but I could see how it could happen. All in all, I'm very happy with the light, and recommend it to everyone.

I haven't had a problem with powder fowling at all either, anything that got on there has wiped right off easily.

Last edited by JohnHoliday; 05-24-2010 at 14:15..
JohnHoliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 15:24   #13
fetep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoliday View Post
I have a TRL-1 on my G19, and it has been flawless for thousands of round with it, its currently my home defense pistol. I haven't had any problems with accidental lighting it up, but I could see how it could happen. All in all, I'm very happy with the light, and recommend it to everyone.

I haven't had a problem with powder fowling at all either, anything that got on there has wiped right off easily.

Very Nice
fetep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:34   #14
kilo6echo

Nice. No tape needed with that setup...haha

Old 06-14-2010, 14:56   #15
kilo6echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonny View Post
Looks good, nice review, helpful. I just ordered a TLR-1 for my G19.
No problem guys. I've had such great results with this light I just had to share.

Old 06-14-2010, 14:58   #16
DrunkenParrot
THE RESISTANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoliday View Post

Who is the manufacturer of the can?
Old 06-14-2010, 17:16   #17
tampashooters
Shellback

I'd hate to be the person on the other side of that door...

tampashooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 17:27   #18
GlockPride
Glock 23

Personally, If you have a 19/23 size pistol or larger I would go with the TLR-1. If you have the M&P compacts, PF-9, or sub-compact Glocks that have a rail then the TLR-3 is in order.
The problem is the distance with putting the -3 on a larger pistol is finger extension reach.

Also, I *cracked* the lens on my TLR-1 by banging into the corner of the granite countertop. Looked up a replacement. Crud $30-40. Called Streamlight and they said ship it back on my freight and they would replace and send back on there's. Sent in and waited. and waited. and waited. And about a week and half later I got it back all fixed up. And even threw in a new set of batteries for their troubles.
Excellent top-notch CS!!
Eph6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.13Therefore put on the full armor of God
GlockPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 22:39   #19
Troy106

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPride View Post
Personally, If you have a 19/23 size pistol or larger I would go with the TLR-1. If you have the M&P compacts, PF-9, or sub-compact Glocks that have a rail then the TLR-3 is in order.
The problem is the distance with putting the -3 on a larger pistol is finger extension reach.

Also, I *cracked* the lens on my TLR-1 by banging into the corner of the granite countertop. Looked up a replacement. Crud $30-40. Called Streamlight and they said ship it back on my freight and they would replace and send back on there's. Sent in and waited. and waited. and waited. And about a week and half later I got it back all fixed up. And even threw in a new set of batteries for their troubles.
Excellent top-notch CS!!
Another good company with good service
Troy106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 22:51   #20
Underwhere

I would just add one comment:
There's really no need for the TLR-1s (strobe version).

To engage the strobe requires some pretty fine motor skills and sometimes even when I purposefully try and engage the strobe (with my weak hand) I find it difficult to do.

Otherwise the TLR-1 is a great light...and the G19 is a great gun. I have the same setup.
Underwhere is offline   Reply With Quote