Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2010, 20:13   #1
Deaf Smith

How to use a chair in a gunfight

Actually I think is very lucky the other guy had a fake gun. It was in the UK but even there some thugs use real ones.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...15631288?f=rss

Deaf
Old 05-23-2010, 22:08   #2
Blaster
Hunc tu caveto

Did he have a permit for that chair?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:22   #3
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

that 48yr old dude is built like a ****ing rhino.

Tactics and Training
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 17:26   #4
Deaf Smith

I noticed that to Drew. Made me wonder why he didn't just tackle him.

Maybe while he is big, he has no training.

Deaf
Old 05-24-2010, 17:38   #5
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

The robber, Mr. Azar Sulman, is a cannabis addict; not a fighter.
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 17:49   #6
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

He used an "Assault Chair", the bum........
Old 05-24-2010, 17:53   #7
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

"He was very impolite and I don't take kindly to that."

"He was pointing the gun in my face and was telling me he would shoot me. He had a bad attitude."

I always liked the Brits' talant for understatement. That is funny stuff.
Old 05-24-2010, 18:02   #8
degoodman
Out of Columbus

Send a message via AIM to degoodman
$300 a week on weed?

How did he manage to get off the couch for his bag of cheetos, let alone commit a robbery if he was toking down that much grass? I mean I had friends in college for whom the herb was their substance of choice, and when they sat down with a bag of grass, the 4 of them were basically catatonic for the weekend.

Or is cannabis code for something more serious over in the Queen's dominion?

More on topic, "Tiny" there looks like he could stop bullets with his chest and keep right on trucking. He may have a son playing rugby in college, but I'll bet that there's been more than a practice or two where that no-neck-having daddy got down in a scrum and showed the youngsters how. Azar is lucky he didn't have room for a full wind up with that chair, or he'd be 6 feet under with his hair line about even with his collar bone.
degoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 18:40   #9
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
I noticed that to Drew. Made me wonder why he didn't just tackle him.

Maybe while he is big, he has no training.

Deaf
Quote:
But Mr Richardson, a judo expert...

I am neither here not there on his training, because I know a lot of folks who say they do Takewndo, only I find out from novice to brown/black belt is 3yrs.

Hopefully I am wrong about that...(3 yr thing)

'Drew
Old 05-24-2010, 19:25   #10
CAcop

That suspect should be thankful that guy didn't rip his arms off.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 20:59   #11
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
I am neither here not there on his training, because I know a lot of folks who say they do Takewndo, only I find out from novice to brown/black belt is 3yrs.

Hopefully I am wrong about that...(3 yr thing)

'Drew
Well Drew, I have only about 30 years of TKD and TSD (Tang So Do.) And about a year Krav Maga.

And if I was that guys size, I'd have tackled him (but I ain't that size.)

Deaf
Old 05-24-2010, 22:23   #12
GreyEclipse
TheGreyEclipse

lol, I don't know where to begin...
Kalashnikov Klub Member-761
RTN Club Member-171-Moonie
GreyEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 23:36   #13
CitizenOfDreams

Someone in not-so-Great-anymore Britain is already working on plans for a safe chair with rounded-off legs.

Tactics and Training
CitizenOfDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 17:37   #14
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Well Drew, I have only about 30 years of TKD and TSD (Tang So Do.) And about a year Krav Maga.

And if I was that guys size, I'd have tackled him (but I ain't that size.)

Deaf

No disrespect sir, but there's a character here on Glocktalk that keeps touting his/her education, training and "30 years of experience" - you might have gone 8 or 10 rounds with him/her in the past ) - and I'm not thoroughly convinced about the caliber of criminals he/she may or may not have tussled with.

So pardon me if I become IMMEDIATELY suspicious whenever someone throws that "30 year" thing around!

5th Dan, I take it?
Old 05-25-2010, 17:39   #15
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

I have 30 years (OK, more than 30) of S&W, Colt, ........
Old 05-25-2010, 19:57   #16
Deaf Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
So pardon me if I become IMMEDIATELY suspicious whenever someone throws that "30 year" thing around!

5th Dan, I take it?
Well Drew, being 55 years old and started TSD in college under John Chu (SFASU, here in Texas) yep, 30 years of it. While it was billed as TKD, the Kwan was Moo Duk Kwan (a Tang Soo Do Kwan) under the WTF. Everything we did was TSD, ever the forms and belts. And once Chu died, and the whole thing split up, half went to TSD and the other half TKD (not sure if they transfered to another Kwan.) Oh, and Kwan means 'school' and there may be many dojos/dojangs affiliated with a Kwan.)

I ended up in Moo Hak Kwon (a Hapkido Kwan) that taught Taekwondo! This kwan is affliated with not only the WTF but ITF (International Taekwondo Federation, what the Korean army teaches.) My teacher, the same one I've had for at least 20 years, was a ROK in Vietnam (and yes, he has some interesting stories.) We don't 'do' Olympic TKD BTW.

Anyway.... yes 5th dan with a few broken bones and bent nose.

Lately I've been in Krav Maga as well as TKD. Yes I do both each week at different places. I've picked up some very good training techniques from KM that I, and a few buddies, do as part of our Sunday routine at a local park. TKD does not have all the answers (but no 'system' does!)

And that avitar of mine is me (in my younger days.)

Deaf
Old 05-25-2010, 20:52   #17
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Yeah, 5th Dan sounds about right for 30 years, + having a "regular" life.

There is a hot shot guy (Shozo Kato) around these parts that just got his 8th dan in Kendo (Japanese fencing). Me? I am content to watch my kids go thru the motions but barely thru the ranks of "Kung-Fu".

Here is his story. He earned my respect.
Quote:
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0oqiONj22

Tactics and Training

New York City now has its own hometown virtuoso in the swordsmanship of the samurai.
Shozo Kato, 54, recently became the third person from outside of Japan to pass the notoriously difficult exam for eighth dan in kendo - the highest rank in the martial art of Japanese fencing.
The pass rate is about 1%, earning it the reputation of being the toughest test in Japan.
"I feel the real training for eighth dan is just now beginning," said Kato, a fine-art photographer by day who has been teaching kendo at the Shidogakuin dojo in Manhattan for some 25 years.
On the flight back from Japan, "it felt like I was still dreaming," he said, adding he now feels a heavy responsibility to propagate the art.
The achievement is all the more remarkable because he didn't have frequent access to high-ranking mentors, said Alex Bennett, a New Zealander who lives in Japan. Bennett passed his seventh dan exam on April 30 - a feat he said "pales in comparison" to reaching eighth dan.
"If you do pass it, you are elevated to demigod status in the kendo community. It's quite an achievement," said Bennett, 40, a Japanese studies professor at Kansai University in Osaka.
In kendo, practitioners wear padded armor and use bamboo swords for full-speed, full-contact combat. In an exam, you must not only score points by striking targets correctly, but also display mastery of the mental game.
Candidates must have held a seventh dan for at least 10 years and be at least 46 years old to be eligible to take the eighth dan exam, which is administered twice a year - in May in Kyoto and in November in Tokyo by the All Japan Kendo Federation.
"The people taking the eighth dan exam are all hard-core kendo people who have been doing kendo for many, many years," Bennett said. "To be that 1% that shines out above everybody else means they have something special."
Kato passed on his sixth try. Some people have been trying for decades.
Dr. Tsuyoshi Ino****a, an oncologist who founded Shidogakuin with Kato 25 years ago, said he was in a meeting in Florida when he learned his good friend had passed the exam.
"I had to get out of the meeting. I couldn't concentrate because I was so emotional," said Ino****a, 59, a seventh dan kendoist who now lives in Portsmouth, Ohio.
"It will give a lot of hope to people in countries where there are not a lot of high-ranking sensei," he said.
Kato said one way he tried to overcome the disadvantage of the lack of local mentors was to make every bout with every opponent count. "Sometimes a student is the best teacher," he said.
Old 05-25-2010, 22:09   #18
PhoneCop
TeleDetective

Two questions:

1- What's a "punter" in the UK?
2- Where's that sum*****'s neck?

(seriously, all I see is ears and shoulders)

Last edited by PhoneCop; 05-25-2010 at 22:11..
PhoneCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 16:18   #19
Deaf Smith

Drew,

Master Kato lives that stuff. That is his job and his advocation. If you shot guns every day, practiced technique daily, taught it, lived it, breathed it, well you would be a, uh, Miculek or Munden!

My hats off to Master Kato. They have high standards in Japan and as a result the test are most difficult.

Alas for me... I was destined for the cubical. MVS, CICS, TSO/ISPF, COBOL, JES2, ISMF, OPCF, etc.. mainframe stuff, and ASP.NET, SQL, Oracle, etc.. for the 'new stuff'. I do applications, system work, and administration.

Funny thing is most of our 'guberment' still uses COBOL yet no university teaches it. I am the YOUNGEST programmer here that knows it! I have fancy titles but I'm still just a programmer ( I know better than to kid myself.)

I know when retirement age comes I won't work at Wal-mart. I'll be a contract programmer for the guberment (if it ain't broke by then.)

Shooting and the martial arts is my advocation. Gets me as far away from the desk as I can get. But if I was to teach it, I'd starve.

Deaf
Old 05-27-2010, 10:01   #20
MTPD

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the old fake gun trick!!!