GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-25-2010, 13:01   #1
dusty78

Whats upwith Kahr and nickel plating everything?

Is anyone else annoyed that Kahr K and MK series guns are now coming with the barrel, slide stop, mag release, extractor, trigger, trigger pin, and grip screws nickel plated? I think it makes the guns look cheap. I just got a new K9 and it has all these parts nickeled. The plating on the slide stop has already started to peal off. I was wondering if I could order K9 Elite parts but the CS agent couldn't tell me if they were nickel plated or not now. They used to be polished stainless but might be polished nickel now.
dusty78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 14:01   #2
peterj

It is a marketing technique called "Racoon Getter". They're making them all bright and shiny and hoping you will overlook the fact that 20% of their firearms don't work.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 14:08   #3
dusty78

I have owned a lot of Kahrs and have never had a failure with any. The funny parts is that the nickel plating is a matte nickel which appears duller then the bright bead blast natural stainless finish of the slide and frame. They probably think that a nickel surface will enhance the action due to it's slicker tendencies but in my opinion they shouldn't mess with perfection. The K9 is the originator and in my opinion still the best of the bunch.
Old 05-25-2010, 14:51   #4
peterj

I do own one of their firearms and it happens to be a good one. Around 400-450 rounds, flawless. Unfortunately, far too many customers have experienced problems; much more so than other handguns priced in that arena. Kahr has been playing this game long enough to know the "in's and out's" of their products but they have chosen to keep producing handguns with problems they have had years to fix.

Don't get me wrong, when you get a good one, they are awesome little guns! But when you don't, it's a headache. Kahr will eventually fix the problems to make it like it should have been when it first left the factory. They know how to do it, they just choose to sell the product now and deal with QC issues later.
peterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 16:13   #5
dusty78

guess I have been lucky...11 differen't Kahrs with no real issues...except for a little nickel plating chipping off.