SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-25-2010, 18:42   #1
snipe1
Perfection

Loose Fitting Ameriglo Front Sight(s)

I have installed over a dozen sets of Ameriglo Classic night sites on Glocks over the past year. I just received a set for my G23 and noticed that the front sight stud that fits into the hole of the slide is very loose and ill fitting. All the past fronts that I installed were very tight fitting before installing the screw, some even requiring a slight filing to fit. This new set is so loose and sloppy that the front blade "swings" back and forth a couple of degrees until you really tighten down the screw. And of course when you do tighten it the front sight blade shifts a little and is almost impossible to keep it straight and parallel on the slide. I also tried this front sight in my G17 and G19 with the same results.

I ended up calling Ameriglo and they quickly sent me a replacement. The new sight arrived today and guess what? It too is loose fitting and sloppy just like the first.

Has anyone experienced this issue with newly purchased front sights from Ameriglo recently. I absolutely love their sights but now I'm concerned about a possible quality control issue...
Glock 23 Gen 3 (Detroit PD)
Glock 27 Gen 3

Last edited by snipe1; 05-25-2010 at 20:22..
snipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 19:38   #2
smokintonye
Instructor

I just installed a set (Pro Glo). It was my first time installing sights of any kind, so I didn't think anything of it. I got it on there straight tightend it down with some red Locktite, and I think it's good to go!

Do you think I should be concerned?

Last edited by smokintonye; 05-25-2010 at 19:40..
smokintonye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 19:53   #3
snipe1
Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokintonye View Post
I just installed a set (Pro Glo). It was my first time installing sights of any kind, so I didn't think anything of it. I got it on there straight tightend it down with some red Locktite, and I think it's good to go!

Do you think I should be concerned?
This is the first time I installed a set where I didn't have to really work the sight down into the hole which aligns the sight parallel to the slide. They use to fit so tight that it would stay in and tight without the screw (obviously it wouldn't handle firing w/o the screw). On this set, the front just sits on the slide very loose, If i were to turn it sideways a little it would just fall out.

I don't like it fitting so loose. The blade has a few degrees of swing. A little bump would shift it a little I think. Mine is tight right now but I can't seem to get it perfectly straight with the slide. I always use red loctite also. If you need to remove it just heat the head of the screw with a cigar lighter for about 10 secs, use a good front sight wrench, and they come right off.

Smokintonye - Was your front sight sloppy before you put the screw in? I'm sending the replacement back and ordering another brand I think. I want to see what others have to say first. As I mentioned in my first post, I have installed quite a few Ameriglo sights in the past and they always fit nice and snug.
Glock 27 Gen 3

Last edited by snipe1; 05-25-2010 at 19:56..
Old 05-25-2010, 20:02   #4
smokintonye
Instructor

Yes, it was loose fitting before putting in the screw. I guess I'll just have to hope it stays put!! Being my first install I didn't know :-(

Last edited by smokintonye; 05-25-2010 at 20:03..
Old 05-25-2010, 20:02   #5
smokintonye
Instructor

I should note, if it matters. This was put on a new Gen4 17.
Old 05-25-2010, 20:04   #6
Ok Prdator

I bet I've put 30+sets of all makers night's sights on. All most every one of them will move a small amount. You also have to consider the Glock slide may be out of spec to...

The way I do them is get a set of Dial calipers and mesuer the slide then subtract the width of the front sight the divide that in two. I then take and set my 6'' square to that dimension ( Minus about .001) and use that to set the front sight to square in the middle of the slide. I also do the same thing with the rear sight.
Then I take wickable loc-tight and set both sights with it, ( degrease every thing first)
Old 05-25-2010, 20:10   #7
snipe1
Perfection

Quote:
Yes, it was loose fitting before putting in the screw. I guess I'll just have to hope it stays put!! Being my first install I didn't know :-(
Well if yours fit loose too, it looks like a QC issue. I'll be sending mine back for a refund. Even the stock Glock plastic and metal sights fit in the slide nice and snug. Keeps the sight straight if it gets a good bump. The screw should just hold the sight on the slide without needing to be so tight to also keep it aligned straight and preventing it from "swinging" back and forth.

Thanks for your input Smokintonye!
Glock 27 Gen 3
Old 05-25-2010, 20:12   #8
snipe1
Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ok Prdator View Post
I bet I've put 30+sets of all makers night's sights on. All most every one of them will move a small amount. You also have to consider the Glock slide may be out of spec to...
Yeah but not all THREE of my Glock slides!
Glock 27 Gen 3
Old 05-25-2010, 20:13   #9
smokintonye
Instructor

Your very welcome sir!!
Old 05-25-2010, 20:14   #10
smokintonye
Instructor

I guess I'll just go with what I have, and if any issues arise, I'll worry about then!

Last edited by smokintonye; 05-26-2010 at 05:39..
Old 05-25-2010, 21:28   #11
snipe1
Perfection

Quote:
I guess I'll just go with what I have, and if any issues arise, I'll worry about than!
I'm starting to think the same way. Maybe I'll just try to remount the sight straight and see how it goes. OkPrdator says they are always a little loose - though my experience has been just the opposite. I really like the design of the Ameriglo sights and they do have stellar customer service. Plus I hate to send them back and start over with another brand.

I would still like to hear what others have experienced concerning the front sight fitment with Meprolights, Tijicon, TruGlo, etc.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Much appreciated!
Glock 27 Gen 3
Old 05-26-2010, 07:10   #12
G19aps

I installed a new ameriglo front sight on my Gen 3 G17 yesterday and though I didn't have to file to get it in (never had on the other 5 either) it wasn't loose like you described.
G19aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:29   #13
smokintonye
Instructor

Is it maybe just certin style of front sight? Mine was a Pro Glo! Orange w/Tritium, square style.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42   #14
snipe1
Perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19aps View Post
I installed a new ameriglo front sight on my Gen 3 G17 yesterday and though I didn't have to file to get it in (never had on the other 5 either) it wasn't loose like you described.
So G19aps, I take it that your front sight was nice and snug when you installed it? Did it actually require you to use a little pressure? Before you put the screw in, could you turn the slide upside down without it falling out?

Thanks!
Glock 27 Gen 3
Old 05-26-2010, 07:44   #15
snipe1
Perfection

Quote:
Is it maybe just certin style of front sight? Mine was a Pro Glo! Orange w/Tritium, square style.
Mine was the "Classic" series tritium night sight so that doesn't appear to be the issue...

Glock 27 Gen 3
Old 05-26-2010, 09:23   #16
smokintonye
Instructor

Hmmmmm.....

-MN PTC Instructor,NRA Instructor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:36   #17
snipe1
Perfection

Spoke with AmeriGlo today and they said that the front sight should not swing side to side when set into the hole on the slide. They are taking both the original and warranty replacement sights back (.180" x .125") and sending me another front of a different size. They are sending me the .165" x .140" (standard Glock height). So, hopefully this will solve my issue.

I actually pulled an Ameriglo sight from another Glock and sure enough, it fit nice and snug on all three of my current slides. So, FYI: Front sights should fit snug when placed on the slide and NOT wiggle around. This has been my past experience and Ameriglo's statement to me today.

BTW, Ameriglo has outstanding customer service!
Glock 27 Gen 3

Last edited by snipe1; 05-28-2010 at 10:37..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:53   #18
Wash-ar15

put some loctite in the hole and let it overflow a little. then eyeball it straight. after the loctite hardens and fills the void,it ain't going nowhere.
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:45   #19
snipe1
Perfection

OK. I came up with a resolution to this loose fitting front sight issue. I lay out a 2" long piece of teflon plumbers tape and using an X-acto knife, slice off a very thin strip along the top (about the depth of the tab that fits into the slide) and wrap it around the tab 2 to 4 times depending on how loose the fit is.

Then just insert the sight tab into the slide which will now have a nice snug fit and centers the sight nicely. A drop of red threadlock on the threads of the sight screw, snug it up and allow to cure for the recommended 8 hours.

Note: It may seem a little awkward getting the teflon tape around the tab at first (it is quite small) but just take it slow and you'll find it's fairly easy.
Glock 27 Gen 3